Ok, which one should I get - Samson CO1 or AT2020?

• Members

Based on some advice I got here, I plan on purchasing two condenser mics in the next day or so, partly for use in an upcoming gig, and for some other projects.

Primary use:

1. Live sound - specifically, micing a Big Band as a whole (as suggested to me in an earlier thread) chorus-style.

2. General live use with acoustic instruments (guitar, harp, flute, etc.)

3. Occasional recording both of live bands and home recording.

The two that seem to stand out and are in my budget are the Samson CO1 and the Audio Technica AT2020.

I was wondering, in your opinion and experience, which of these two would you prefer and why? Are the other options in this price range (~$100) that you might recommend?

Thanks!

• Members

Disclaimer: I have no first-hand experience with either of these mics.

A while back I was heavily researching drum overheads and I ran across an article that mentioned about AT2020's being very natural sounding. I also remember coming across a thread that said that the Samson's sound was decent SDC's but their build quality was questionable.

I have clips of people using both of these mics - though they are used as drum overheads. If you'd like, PM me your e-mail and I can send the mp3 clips to you.

• Members

I don't know where your are doing your research but here's a few live Audio Technica users.

Daughtry

Taylor Swift

R&R Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony

The Grammy's

CMA Awards

Winter Olympics

Metallica

Train

Etc.

Maybe so, but are they using the 2020? I doubt it...

• Members

We have an AT2020 at our church that I use on the piano. It works well, but this piano is a frustrating instrument as I have a very hard time getting a good sound from it and it need retuning every few months, so I don't blame the mic. Previously, the first time I used an AT2020 was when we had a bluegrass band at our church for a picnic event. That Sunday they sang in our Sunday morning service. Their tech guy had borrowed one and said they wanted to try and get everyone around the mic for an acapella number. I was worried about GBF, but our system is very forgiving in that regards. It sounded wonderful and fitting for the soulful song they did. I was close to the edge of GBF, but it was really nice. They they did another number that included one of their members plucking an upright bass and the balance was a little more difficult as I really had no control to balance the bass and the voices, but it still sounded great. For $100, it is a great mic. It has limited uses for live use, especially if you have GBF issues, but is still a great value.

John

• Members

Maybe so, but are they using the 2020? I doubt it...

We've used the 2020 for overheads for George Canyon, Shane Yellowbird, Sammy Kershaw, Crystal Shawanda...

The C01 is an awful sounding mic. The AT2020 isn't the best, but sounds pretty good especially considering the price.

• Members

We've used the 2020 for overheads for George Canyon, Shane Yellowbird, Sammy Kershaw, Crystal Shawanda...

The C01 is an awful sounding mic. The AT2020 isn't the best, but sounds pretty good especially considering the price.

Interesting - I would have expected a little higher budget mic. Well, I think that confirms the 2020 over the Samson...

• Members

I don't know where your are doing your research but here's a few live Audio Technica users.

Daughtry

Taylor Swift

R&R Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony

The Grammy's

CMA Awards

Winter Olympics

Metallica

Train

Etc.

Midnight Ramblers....:thu::facepalm:

We abuse our gear and the ATs take it and keep giving. We couldn't be happier with these mics.

• Members

Spam aside, if you're interested I did a review of the AT2020USB. It sounds practically identical to the AT2020, so if you're interested in how it sounds with voice then check it out. If you've never heard the NT1a then check that out as well, I do some comparing and you can listen to both reviews.

http://www.soundclick.com/reactivereviews

Archived