Symphony X - Inferno (Unleash the Fire)

FelipeCarvalho

• Members

Well Im not sure how I am supposed to balance the "3. GAIN" against the "8. LEVEL". But for the purpose of the next exercise I have matched them bough

Set the Master Fader (17) and channel 1's level ( 8 ) to Zero. Sing into the mic and watch the led meters. If they are going over Zero then it's too loud and you should back the gain off..if it's reading well below zero then slowly increase the gain so that it is only reaching zero on the loudest part of the song.

The MP3 sounds fine in the CD/Tape as that's what it is designed for, I think you were just overloading it before at 120% volume.

First recording ..You are too quiet Vs the music

Second recording you have too much mic gain so it's distorting and you are too loud.

So...you can either turn the MP3 player down a bit more and keep the settings similar to recording 1 or try what I said and see how that comes out.

A couple more things..You need some EQ on your voice so I would add some high and take out some low see if you can improve the clarity.

I can also hear handling noise fro the mic, I don't know if you have a mic stand but it would help eliminate that

Also you could use some reverb as the backing tracks all have it so if you don't it sounds odd. For this you would need a hardware reverb unit which plugs into the send / return channels of your mixer. You can pay anything from under £50 for a used basic one to thousands for a high end machine.

Ebay might be your best bet.

• Members

Just reading all your posts...

So I think the EQ adjustments you made have helped quite a bit but I have realised it sounds a bit muffled because you are wearing the motorbike helmet. Ideally when you do the actually proper recording you won't have that on so you probably won't need the same EQ settings as you are using now. But yes it sounded much better after you adjusted it.

I think the manual I was reading was for different versions of the mixer so I hadn't realised you had the built in FX..but yes those should be pretty decent so give them a try. I can't quite read it properly but it does give you an idea of which ones are reverbs , delay , multi etc. printed by the side of the FX controls so try them by using knob 6 , I would go for a reverb to start with which seems to be covered by the first 39 patches as we call them ( what you said are channels / dialling codes ). The more you turn knob 6 to the right the more reverb or whatever it will mix into the signal.

Not sure why it would default to no. 75..Does that say " Pitch " for 74- 79 ? Anyway just have fun and try them..some of them might sound a bit mad especially the delays.

Overall the music is still slightly overpowering your vocals , but you seem to have the correct amount of gain so you will need to turn the MP3 down a bit to compensate..try between 80-90 % , somewhere around there should probably do the trick.

Regarding the meters , as it's a budget mixer you only get one set ..more expensive mixers can have a meter for each channel separately or sometimes they just have a red LED on each input that lights up if you have added too much gain.

So it sounds like you have done the correct thing and turned the music off so you can check your vocal level separately using the shared meters.

You seem to be figuring it out bit by bit .

• Members

REVERB 00-39. ER/DLY 40-59. MOD 60-73. PITCH 74-79 and MULTI 80-99

So that will be Reverb, Early Reflections/Delay , Modulation - Pitch - and Multi will be various patches chained together

What I don't understand is why are there so many number (or patches as you call it) for one effect

There's loads of different type s of reverbs..if you think of real world spaces..rooms , halls , churches..they each have their own distinct reverb characteristics and they each work well or not so well on different sources. Plates for example are often good for vocals and based on a large metal plate inside a room that vibrates and the result sent back to the mixer..there are some famous ones like the EMT 140 for example

A hall might work better for a solo violin for instance...etc..etc. try a plate for vocals though, it's probably most common in pop music.

Instead of turning the mp3 player volume down to 80-90%; can I just turn the gain up instead?

Well you could but you shouldn't if you are trying to observe good " gain structure " ..the music is already at the loudest without anything distorting..the vocal is peaking around the right level from what you said ..so the best way to balance in that scenario is turn the music a bit lower.

Just found this actually

Excellent..keep that handy

Wonder if it will let you run two effects at once

No I don't think so ..there are some mixers that have dual FX but this ain't one 'em

• Members

The shortest time is "dial number 10, small room 1 and at 0.5 seconds decay"

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bfmnyhc4oi8z3rh/7.%20reverb%20number%2010%20full.m4a?dl=0

The longest time is "dial number 9, church and at 7 seconds decay"

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qd20f0tsee75om1/8.%20reverb%20number%209%20full.m4a?dl=0

Again this is all done inside of a motorbike helmet, I did however notice that when I opened the visor (listing from my headphones) that the reverb dropped a lot!

Try the plate...7 seconds is much too long a a reverb time , the 0.5 is possibly a little short..maybe a 1 - 1.5s plate or something..but it's working and it sound better now..you just need to find the right reverb patch that suits the music ann your vocals.

Levels sound ok as well now

• Members

For my next recording I have gone for "23 vocal plate 1.2 sec" as it is the only vocal plate on the list

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cir5ndfenz...0full.m4a?dl=0

I listened to my last recording and vocal wise it was not good! Placement with the mouth was the issue though. Recorded last thing on a Saturday night with the mic rammed inside the motor bike helmet, not great!

Anyway hear are two recordings I found that sound like they have good effects to me. What do you think they are?

https://app.box.com/s/dg1koumr6y

https://www.soundclick.com/bands3/de...&content=songs

The vocal plate sounds the best to me so far out of the ones you have tried, it's probably a good patch to use as a general reverb for vocals .

The Eleanor Rigby track doesn't sound like it has a lot of reverb, it might be what we call an Ambience type reverb which has lots of early reflections so it sounds quite close to the listener but still has a sense of space around it.

Sorry I wasn't sure which track you meant on the other links as there were loads of them..The World Goes over My Head uses a delay ..that sort of John Lennon type sound ..although you often want the echoes to repeat in time to the music and I am not sure what options you have but there is a formula for delay time Vs song tempo if you are able to change it.

• Members
Also I wanted to ask

On my mixer there is "14 FX TO MAIN" which says in the manual

14)

FX TO MAIN

- The FX TO MAIN control feeds

the effects signal into the main mix. If the

control is turned all the way counterclockwise,

no effects signal is present in the sum signal of

the mixing console.

Do you know which position it should be turned to?

As you are only using one mic it doesn't really do much different to controlling it with knob 6

I would leave it in the middle generally ..sounds like you are getting about the right amount of reverb. But it's useful to have..Lets say you were doing a gig....when the music stops if you wanted to talk to the audience you would probably want to kill the Reverb or it might sound strange so you can use it for that.

When I used to do the live mixing, on some songs it sounded good if the reverb or delay was pushed up a little in the chorus just to make everything sound bigger.

It comes in a lot more handy when there's more than one source that have FX on..lets say you are doing a duet and also someone is playing a guitar and you all have some reverb...then you could turn it up or down on all 3 sources at the same time on one control instead of 3.

• Members
So back to the photography.

Hear is my home made star cloth

Not bad..you need to use some decent clips to hold it tight though or it looks creased. My wife uses them in her photography studio..they are called backdrop clips.

I would keep the balaclava on ..it's a great gimmick....Deadmau5 wears a mask so can you..it will make you more memorable.

• Members

Well if the vocal plate sound OK to you; or the best I can get then I will leave it with that

I wonder what will happen if I sing other styles, if the plate would need changing

You just have to try, sometimes certain patches just work better but it depends on the music and the singer

So are you saying for a faster temp use a shorter delay?

Yes basically..but there is a formula as you usually want to have the delay on 8th or quarter notes so it fits rhythmically with the track

Calculator here ; http://nickfever.com/music/delay-calculator

If you had the same band playing one gig, do you usually have to mess with the mixer though out the gig or did you usually leave it all in one place?

Well you don't have to and not every band would. I've seen 3 or 4 piece guitar bands where they set the mixer up first but then they manage it themselves on stage. It's easy enough to turn your own electric guitar up and down with a pedal for example but generally the more complex the songs and arrangements are the more need for someone mixing it through the set. If you go to a large venue to see a well known band there will be at least a couple of people behind a mixer somewhere working away.

The band I used to mix for had 10 players so it's a bit of a juggling act throughout the set. But I also used to do creative stuff like switching the FX to different setting in different song parts for example.

Do you think a costume helps in this job?

It's a marketing trick that can deflinitely make you stand out from the crowd..as can a good name

• Members

I though about doing 3 records on my 2x45min set lists

And each record turn the angle of the camera around, but with only a 5 foot wide star cloth as a back drop; im quite limited to space.

How about I just turn myself and the mic stand around?

Might be better one head on , and then the other 2 at a 45 degree angle from either side.I think a side profile might look a bit weird and if you move stuff around it will break the illusion of it being a 3 camera take so try and make it so you don't move anything.

• Members
lol what is going on here? Why the terrorist outfit man. lol you are taking Guerrilla Home Recording idea too seriously! :p

The Vocal Terrorist..coming to Youtube

Sorry the thread got hijacked perhaps we should ask the mods to put it on it's own ?

• Members
I also tried it again at half the angle of 22.5 degree

This angle looks the best but it looks like all you have done is turn yourself the other way , the shot isn't actually taken from the opposite side and it shows..people will notice..maybe subconsciously but they will.

• Members
So had a go with the same song again. But this time completely different and this time using a DAW

Its Audacity with a pair of 3 quid head phone/ mic set connected to my laptops inbuilt sound card to listen to the mp3 track and record my vocals at the same time

OKay..well Audacity isn't really a DAW progam it's more of a general purpose audio editor, it's not that great for musicians. But regardless a 3 quid headphone mic is never going to sound the same as 58 through a mixer and it shows.

You can still use your proper mic/mixer to record into a DAW though..not sure what option there are in Audacity but basically import the backing MP3 into the DAW and have that on one track , and the same connection should work for your mic/mixer setup and recorded into Audacity. You will probably need to change the input withing Audacity to record from the Line-In of your little Behringer.

You should also be able to connect your headpohnes to it so you can hear the backing track coming from Audacity and also your vocals as you record.

• Members

I was think of calling myself "silly little man" dose that sound a good stage name?

You could do a duet, and then he could deliver a lecture on some new vocal technique he made up / discovered.. you could title it..

SLM Vs The Vocal Terrorist ..Opinion..or Fact..You Decide

• Members

Rehearsing in an abandoned railway hut

But I though with all the gigs you have done there must of been plenty outdoor based in open fields type that no electricity was the norm, so you may of know different ways to supply it that was all

We did some outdoor festivals and they had big massive generators

Archived