Do I need a compressor ?

• Members

i'm kinda surprised that a person yelling into a mic would be SO much louder than your singer. are you guys playing lullabyes? maybe i just can't relate because my voice is usually the loudest in a room even without a mic.

a compressor can definitely be a useful tool, coaster's hyperbole notwithstanding. imo for hard rock/punk/metal, compression is 100% vital. although i agree that it can negatively affect the dynamics if overused (of course, that's it's job), it's really not that hard to get things sounding right. for singers who play an instrument, having compression means they can worry less about mic technique and more about the performance.

• Members

i'm kinda surprised that a person yelling into a mic would be SO much louder than your singer. are you guys playing lullabyes? maybe i just can't relate because my voice is usually the loudest in a room even without a mic.

Most singers pull back from the mic as they get louder or as you pointed out you can use compression and just sing on the mic the whole time.

I should add - I tend to sing loudly but my partner does not - she's come from an SLS background and tends to keep her singing volume 'low' by most standards.

Archived