Do I need a compressor ?

• Members

My singer dropped her mic last night - scared the sh1t out of me cos we had the volume pretty low but it still made a HUGE sound through my PRX512s.

Signal chain is

Mics > A&H ZX12fx > Behringer crossover > Yorkville ES700p Low out and PRX512 Highs out

Really concerned me that had I had the volume high it could have damaged the compression drivers ??

If some drunk gets up and yells into the mic at a gig could have the same effect at high volume right ?

I know the PRX512s have some protection in them just don't know if this would save them - would a compressor save them ?

Thanks

• Members

A dropped mic is a dropped mic... a compressor isn't going to do a whole lot to make it any less painful. Speaker protection comes at the DSP, which, in the case of the PRX512's, is built in. Don't sweat it, I'd be more worried about the mic. Give the singer some {censored} about it to make sure it doesn't happen again.

• Members

Okay thanks, so what about when some drunk grabs a mic and 'sings' (screams) ?

I remember playing a song years ago and my band mate 'sang' a part in a song that was like a background scream from the ensemble and he did it right on the mic and I couldn't hear outta one of my ears for about an hour because it never occurred to him to pull back from the mic before doing it.

• Members

:lol:

Hit him upside the head with a Telecaster.
:)

Or hit the mute button on that mic channel and tell the person screaming in it. The mic must have a short in it.. :lol:

I used to have a ex singer that passed the mic around like joint.:facepalm:

Talk about some near train wreck moments.

Pretty much got us off guard when we're hearing our singer wail then all of the sudden you hear another voice screaming the wrong lyrics. :eek:

• Members

everyone needs a compressor, unless they dont. some people need ten. others need 14. maybe you need one, or even two.

if you are in a position to need to ask this question, then yes you need one; because you need to spend the next two years messing with it to find out what it doesnt do, and then figuring out how to utilize what it does do in relation to what your needs and desires are.

i am not being sarcastic at all; compression is no more a toaster than a dobro is a VCR.

• Members

Hit him upside the head with a Telecaster.
:)

I used my headstock on my bass for this purpose. My guitards were jammin' a solo and backed away from their mics, I was back with the drummer for the solo but when I stepped up to do the next verse, a drunk had made his way to the stage left guitar players mic. as I stepped into my center stage mic, I just happened to swing the bass headstock over to my left and I really womped the dude. he had no idea what hit him, literally until after about 20 seconds when he got up off the floor....

• Members

I used to have a ex singer that passed the mic around like joint.
:facepalm:

Good grief. I played drums with a friend's band for a couple shows and they would always talk about being a "professional" band that's going to "get signed to a major label, make millions, and get famous".

During the fifth time playing mustang sally that night he would invite his friends to come up and sing... seriously. Not only is it bad enough playing mustang sally once or five times in one gig, but having punters up on the mic while doing it is nothing short of a nightmare.

• Members

if you are in a position to need to ask this question, then yes you need one; because you need to spend the next two years messing with it to find out what it doesnt do, and then figuring out how to utilize what it does do in relation to what your needs and desires are.

Funny stuff!

My poor understanding of compression is the louder you sing the more it attenuates the signal so if someone did yell into the mic it would only be marginally louder than someone singing at a normal volume... this is my understanding

Also I sang with a band awhile back that was using compression on the vocals and I quite liked the sound...not sure what he had in the signal chain in terms of eq/compression/fx but it sounded really polished and smooth.

• Members

Funny stuff!

My poor understanding of compression is the louder you sing the more it attenuates the signal so if someone did yell into the mic it would only be marginally louder than someone singing at a normal volume... this is my understanding

Also I sang with a band awhile back that was using compression on the vocals and I quite liked the sound...not sure what he had in the signal chain in terms of eq/compression/fx but it sounded really polished and smooth.

so what your saying is, compression does all this "stuff" but you dont know exactly what, and this "stuff" makes it sound clear and nice and you like it.

i'm not trying to be a dick. i'm trying to say IT DOESNT DO WHAT YOU THINK. it only DOES WHAT IT DOES. your job is to find WHAT IT DOES., then USE THAT.

this is easier said than done, because it will take a long time before you can really get a grip on compression. my advice is buy one and mess with it for a couple years; wait i already said that.

i'm not trying to be funny, or mean.

• Members

It is true, compression is an art. Getting it right in one venue and setup can be totally wrong on another. I personally use VERY little compression on just a couple specific instruments. I still think a limiter might be a better tool for your use.

• Members

So more properly you are talking about "limiting" for protection. That's a great use. It just depends on how much extra you have in your system. You could set the limiters high enough that they never kick in except when you drop a mic or some other accident, otherwise they don't affect anything.

You can add them as masters to the system or on any individual channel (or both) depending on what you want to protect.

• Members

i'm betting his PRX has faster limiters than the rackmount ones in his price range.

And that's the answer you need. As far as speaker protection, your powered speakers have it built-in. Unless you are an advanced user don't worry about it.

As far as a drunk grabbing the mic, a compressor probably won't do what you want it to the way you want it to without some careful settings. Which is a hard thing to do with a drunk, they never give a good soundcheck.

Rest assured your speakers are relatively safe and don'y worry about getting a compressor yet.

• Members

As far as a drunk grabbing the mic, a compressor probably won't do what you want it to the way you want it to without some careful settings. Which is a hard thing to do with a drunk, they never give a good soundcheck.

that is very funny. and true. i find the mute button very effective, other people find guitar head stocks effective.

i love compression. its really a sickness, a drug, an insatiable craving, and a horrible mistress. its basically wicked.

its a lot like salt. we need salt to live, and a little tastes great; a little more tases even better, but too much tastes bad and kills you.

dont let compression kill you like it has killed recorded media.

• Members

i'm betting his PRX has faster limiters than the rackmount ones in his price range.

"Fast ones" screw with the sound more than less aggressive attack times. It's always a tradeoff ... faster attack = more protection, but generally worse sound quality

• Members

dont let compression kill you like it has killed recorded media.

AMEN to that !!

As for compression- I use a little on kick and vox, a very little, just because I can.

What is it with people and buying compressors! Ya better off buying a few beers, they will make it sound better than somebody with minimal experience destroying music with compression.

• Members

AMEN to that !!

As for compression- I use a little on kick and vox, a very little, just because I can.

What is it with people and buying compressors! Ya better off buying a few beers, they will make it sound better than somebody with minimal experience destroying music with compression.

Because with todays music without compression in the mix it don't sound right. Just like it didn't sound right when they started using compression.

In with the new out with old and get use to the prices :lol:

• Members

The only way to outsmart a drunk is to be drunker.

I started this thread because I was concerned about speaker protection from certain sounds. I clearly have little idea what a compressor does but I'm sure I'm not the only one so all good. Thanks all.

• Members

IMHO, there have been many sig worthy quotes in this thread, with Coaster's the "compresion is no more a toaster...." line, being one of my early favs... although the Telecaster one is good advice depending on how good your lawyer is.

As stated - compressors can be a useful tool but they won't bring about world peace, or will they....

• Members

everyone needs a compressor, unless they dont. some people need ten. others need 14. maybe you need one, or even two.

if you are in a position to need to ask this question, then yes you need one; because you need to spend the next two years messing with it to find out what it
doesnt
do, and then figuring out how to utilize what it
does
do in relation to what your needs and desires are.

i am not being sarcastic at all; compression is no more a toaster than a dobro is a VCR.

LOL classic +1

• Members

The only way to outsmart a drunk is to be drunker.

I started this thread because I was concerned about speaker protection from certain sounds. I clearly have little idea what a compressor does but I'm sure I'm not the only one so all good. Thanks all.

For speaker protection, choose a properly sized amp with a built in limiter. That's the most robust and reliable solution for what you are trying to accomplish IMO.

Archived