• Distortion pedals
    • Overdrive pedals
    • Fuzz pedals
    • I like all three types of dirt pedals
    • Dirt pedals (of any type) + Amp distortion
    • No pedals - amp distortion only
    • No dirt - clean tones only

• Members

For me the answer to this depends upon the amp and the guitar. My main amp is a Vox AC30, and that really works best with a boost in front of the amp for overdriven sounds, if you are using a guitar with either P90s or HBs, It retains the natural sounds of the amp and you get better string to string definition. With a tele, however, I really like a boost AND an overdrive together (I use a Wampler Plexi Drive), with the guitar tone pushed down, and a bit rolled off the volume. When I have played through different amps, this is totally different

• Members
On my board:

DoD Boneshaker

Digitech Grunge

Line 6 Uber Metal

Boss DS1

Boss SD1

Boss Metal Core

Boss Metal Zone

Danoelectro French Toast

Electro Harmonics Big Muff Pie

TC Electronics Mojomojo

For those who say the Metal Zone is the worst pedal ever refuse to read the instructions this is for you. It's a video of the settings:

[video=youtube;BNu8g_qUnsE]

I have an MT2. I nearly hate it but I can get way better sounds than that video which incidentally, only seemed to have two tones. The riff and the lead.

• Members

I guess if were going to talk dirt pedals? the Dunlop classic BC 108 fuzz is a great one for not a lot of $. Landgraff LDO is the best overdrive made period! piedmont on Facebook and KWM from China, both make to spec. Klon pedals with KWM being over the top builds using expensive, hard to find dual pots, 40 bucks a pop. Piedmont? its a 2000.00 Klon. Bill even sent him a cease and desist letter in a lame attempt to get him to stop building that design. What does bill do? comes out with the KTR with a crappy build quality SMT build. Go figure.

• Members

All three, plus the amp distortion. When recording, I love using little amps and pushing them really hard. Great tones. Live, I use pedals and have at least one of each type on my board, plus a boost or two. Currently, I'm using a Klone, a Fulldrive 2, a Keeley modded DS1, and a DOD Carcosa Fuzz.

• Members
I prefer a nice rich loam with very little clay and just a bit of sand (for drainage). Regular recharges of compost. Sometimes I mix in some used hydroton clay pellets.

Depends what you want out of it. Some people will just rub it all over themselves and dance or fight.

• Members
I voted clean. Sooner or later all of my pedals end up in a drawer

I agree at least 90% with the second half of that statement, but lately I've really been enjoying my Catalinbread SFT pedal. It really nails that late 60s to early 80s Rolling Stones tone. Whether I'm slamming out some Honkey Tonk Woman chording or playing something like "Slave" from the Tattoo You album. Sort of a must have pedal for me as am working my way through some of the "Get Your Ya Ya's Out" catalog of tunes. Most of the time I'm just running it into a Mustang III amp set to the '65 Twin model. (While I prefer tube amps, I prefer to noodle around with a decent SS amp so I'm not thinking about cooking away tube life as I multitask sitting on me arse in front of the idiot box) The Mustang III provides a phat enough foundation and then the SFT adds the Ampeg OD character.

I used to be almost totally into clean surfy or rockabilly tones, but once I found some good classic rock OD tones, I got at least 40% hooked on those organic OD tones.

• Members

I like to use all three types. My board has the Klon KTR (mentioned before with the crappy SMTs that still sound pretty decent and is my favorite), an OCD that I dont use much, and my current non-klon favorite, the JHS Calhoun. Its OD and Fuzz in one pedal. Can use either or both. That makes it an easy to love pedal. I also have a Midnight 30+ dual unit that I like a lot and can never find a reason to have it on the board. It sounds great, but other pedals do what it does and more. Hate to sell it, but almost never use it. What can I say? I feel the same way about my ZVEX Distortron which sounds great but never makes it on my board. The only one I discarded and now regret was a Barber Direct Drive (v2). I should have kept it.

• Members
Right now I'm digging the distortions I get from my Zoom G2Nu multi-effects pedal into a Roland KC-100 keyboard amp

5WLAmid.jpg

Nice to see someone else using a Zoom G2Nu. I mainly use mine for eq, a touch of reverb, and some noise gating. I've been having fun with the comb filter lately. I have mine plugged into my HT-5's power amp through the fx return, coming after a Laney IRT pulse tube pre-amp (bypassing the elaborate labyrinth pre-amp circuitry of the HT-5, hehe.)

996c76872b40971d163557306ddffedd.jpg.a07bcccad69ea30cd1f561ad5b1dd6a6.jpg

• Members
I prefer a nice rich loam with very little clay and just a bit of sand (for drainage). Regular recharges of compost. Sometimes I mix in some used hydroton clay pellets.

How could I forget to mention worms? Lots and lots of earthworms!

Above the surface, I like to have plenty of toads living there. They eat slugs and bugs. The toads that live in my gardens are so happy, they don't even pee on me when I pick 'em up :cool:

Archived