kicking around the idea of new powered tops

• Members

im kicking around the idea of getting some new powered top cabs. i currently run a passive system...heres what i have.

mixer carvin c1644p

amp 1 carvinf600 older and heavy but has been a workhorse

amp 2 qscgx5

xover BBE max x3 (i know i know bbe..but it does what its supposed to do..and no i dont use the bbe process part)

mains carvin 1584 (3 ways)

subs jbl jrx (i know i know...i get them to sound decent, but would replacing them soon after the tops)

this does not include my monitor rig..but i guess thats irrelevant to my questions.

my carvin 1584's have been great. i get this system to sound great and its been very dependable as ive played at least 2 shows a week on it for about 10 years. but the tops are getting tired. ive had consistant problems with the xovers in the speakers haveing to re-solder the (capacitor?) several times on both as they are held in with solid wire and silicone (thats how they came from carvin). they break loose every few months.

i m trying to simplify this setup as well as eliminate some weight.

the new speakers i am comparing are in this order with the first one winning so far.

1. ev elx112p

2. jbl prx612m

3. yamaha dsr112

4. qsc k12

i know all of these are considered much better than my carvin mains (correct?). i have volume concerns switching from 3 ways to powered 12's...will these new speakers be loud enough? (rock cover band..average size bar band. everything mic'd, 100-200 people as the bigger rooms we play have built in sound) my current setup is plenty loud with tons of headroom. id like to keep it that way.

does switching to powered speakers seem like a good idea for my situation?

any other speaker in the 599-799 price range im overlooking? prefferably on the lower side of that..best bang for my buck? all opinions are welcome...just dont pick on my current setup too much as it has served my needs very well for a long time. thanks

:thu:

• Members

Any of those would be fine. For weight, name recognition and overall price, I'd probably go with the JBL's. That said, if you're getting subs next then maybe hold off until you can hear the new EV line. The speakers are $100 less than the JBL MAP price and the subs are $200 - $400 less each. So you're saving $600 or more if you need 2 tops and 2 subs.

• Members

All of those you listed would be both better and louder than your Carvin speakers IMHO. I am also in the market for a pair of powered speakers. I am waiting until I can audition the new EV's since I am not in a hurry.

I have auditioned the JBL's and the K12's. The JBL's will get louder without sounding bad. If you don't push them past their usable range, the K12's sound great too (but cost $100.00 more than the JBL's).

I haven't heard the DSR's, but one of the GC guys I spoke to said they had sold the only pair they had in and that he preferred the JBL's.

If you audition the JBL system (tops over subs), they are really fantastic and will go really loud.

The QSC KSUB is a joke (not a very good one at that).

I am just waiting on the EV's to get shipped so I can tell for myself if I want them or the JBL's.

• Members

i got a quote from my dealer for $535 each for the ev's. my dealer is in new york and i live in ct. if he ships them to me (free shipping) i can beat the tax on them. im just waiting for a local guitar centers or somehwere to get a set in so i can hear them first.

• Members

I'm running PRX612Ms over PRX618s-XLFs now. I've only gotten a few shows on 'em now. I'm using them in the same size-range rooms you're talking about, 150-300 person rooms, hard rock. This system has more than enough horse power for this size venue, and it sounds great. I haven't had to push them, and we like it pretty loud and agressive. I figure I won't need to double up (4 tops x 4 bottoms) until the summer for outdoor shows and even that will depend on the coverage I'll need.

Also, my monitor system went from the Carvin 1542s (powered 15" wedges, same 15" as in your 1584) to MRX-512s powered with XTi4000s. This is a very similar to the upgrade your talking about making. The difference is night and day. The 512s are just a much better speaker. I can tell you from personal experience, going from a 1584 to a 612M will be a huge improvement in sound, volume, and weight. You will be very happy. However, this may reveal just how weak your subs really are.

• Members

Well if you can afford those orange labels that would be the first choice but

I never could afford those orange labels. So I'm going with EV because those I can afford.

The difference is a hundred bucks a top at most??? That's pretty trivial considering the investment eh?

Archived