Shopping for a used kit. What is your checklist?

u6crash

• Members

So, I'm not much of a drummer, but I do enjoy it. To that end I'm looking into getting myself a kit and some lessons this fall. I'm looking at Facebook Marketplace and Craigslist and finding all sorts of things. RIght now my best lead is on a $200 Sonor kit that comes with hardware and a throne.

Are you just checking for cracks and visual defects? Do you take off the heads and look at the bearing edges? I don't mind going minimalist and sticking to as little as a bass drum, floor tom, snare and hi-hat. I would rather learn some fundamental skills on a smaller kit before graduating to something larger.

I'm not much of a drummer, and I don't even play one on TV, but if I was looking to purchase a used kit (my kit was purchased new), my two biggest areas of concern (outside of overall sound quality) would be the bearing edges of the shells - are they smooth and true? - and the hardware itself - especially the lugs - does everything look good and does it all work properly?

Cosmetics would be less of a concern to me, but OTOH, it gives you an idea of how hard of a life the kit's experienced. Cracks in the shells, warped shells or anything along those lines would be an immediate red flag - if laminated shells are cracked or warped, something bad has happened and I would pass on the kit.

• Members

I would agree with all the above. Plus I would get the guy to set up the set as well, just arranged where you can hit everything, Bearing edges, stands, pedals etc. Make sure it all works, no stripped out stands, lugs, etc. and to make sure you like the sound. MANY times used sets come with decades old heads and can sound dull, but at least hitting the drums, sitting on the throne etc, will give you a good idea of the set. Like test driving a car, take it for a spin! Hope this helps!

• 2 months later...
  • Members

i look for late 60’s to mid 70’s Ludwig kits... but i worked professionally for a day or so and still play when i want... i grew up around ludwig and premiere drums and have a fondness for that sound... ive played and enjoyed sonor kits... recorded several times with yamahas and impressed with their quality all around... just getting started... styles preferred? i set up differently for say a big band ensemble gig than a country or jazz gig... basically the same but accessories, size of drums etc...

are you planning on,playing out? ive looked at a couple different “travelling” kits that would serve as excellent practice or even limited small club kits... usually around two to three bills used pearl makes a kit for about 450 if i remember... im not a pearl fan but i could see my way clear to own one if i was still chopping promarks into sawdust...

Archived