Sign in to follow this  
Daryl Flynn

What's your favourite guitar solo?

I don't think Billy Gibbons has ever played a less than really good solo.

Most are great.

Even in the lame ZZ Top songs.

Billy doing 'call and answer' with himself:

[video=youtube;12BbI-kmrpI]

Edited by Grumpy_Polecat
  • Like 1

love Gilmour solo's here's 2 I've learned somewhat .

Money https://www.soundclick.com/html5/v4/...songID=7243383

Numb https://www.soundclick.com/html5/v4/...songID=8131656

learned time and young lust

ZZ top! the early dayz

Johnny Winters when he could get it done.

Boz Scaggs loan me a dime live killer! performance

Jimi's smash hits album

Edited by bluesmann

After trying REALLY hard to not go there, I have to concede and go with Larry on Kid Charlemagne. Followed by oh so many other fantastic Steely Dan solos.

Some "left field" choices:

Bill Nelson was/is an absolute MONSTER rock player. And this tune is probably my favorite duet between vocals and lead guitar, throughout the whole tune... and then, the crowning achievement at 3:20.

[video=youtube;K_DqNW0HVIY]

As if Dickey hadn't just played the most concise and impassioned solo of his career, Duane comes in and takes it up another level with the 1st phrase.

[video=youtube;szdKx9O31A0]

Besides being the greatest single music video clip in the entire YouTube universe, I love this short, sweet solo. Its the same one he always plays, on pretty much every song, but this is a particularly sweet example.

[video=youtube;fAPR6rpB7Yo]

It isn't on YouTube, but Ain't No Telling is my favorite Jimi solo (and probably his shortest).

For all my well-known love of Zappa, a lot of his solos lose me - too long, too formulaic, too much terrible tone.... not this one. This one is perfect. 1:04 - 1:27.

[video=youtube;yHIhsq9qHPk]

Which brings me to my favorite "shred" solo - where all the "shred licks" are actually musical and all the technique in service of melody, tension & release. 2:15 - 2:47

[video=youtube;V4cGP9GhAo4]

For pure ferocity and ecstatic abandon, this. 3:16 - 4:05.

[video=youtube;c8Fboivna0o]

Someone already posted my favorite Billy Gibbons solo :D

• Like 2

After trying REALLY hard to not go there, I have to concede and go with Larry on Kid Charlemagne. Followed by oh so many other fantastic Steely Dan solos.

Some "left field" choices:

Bill Nelson was/is an absolute MONSTER rock player. And this tune is probably my favorite duet between vocals and lead guitar, throughout the whole tune... and then, the crowning achievement at 3:20.

[video=youtube;K_DqNW0HVIY]

As if Dickey hadn't just played the most concise and impassioned solo of his career, Duane comes in and takes it up another level with the 1st phrase.

[video=youtube;szdKx9O31A0]

Besides being the greatest single music video clip in the entire YouTube universe, I love this short, sweet solo. Its the same one he always plays, on pretty much every song, but this is a particularly sweet example.

[video=youtube;fAPR6rpB7Yo]

It isn't on YouTube, but Ain't No Telling is my favorite Jimi solo (and probably his shortest).

For all my well-known love of Zappa, a lot of his solos lose me - too long, too formulaic, too much terrible tone.... not this one. This one is perfect. 1:04 - 1:27.

[video=youtube;yHIhsq9qHPk]

Which brings me to my favorite "shred" solo - where all the "shred licks" are actually musical and all the technique in service of melody, tension & release. 2:15 - 2:47

[video=youtube;V4cGP9GhAo4]

For pure ferocity and ecstatic abandon, this. 3:16 - 4:05.

[video=youtube;c8Fboivna0o]

Someone already posted my favorite Billy Gibbons solo :D

Exellent choices Anton! :philthumb:

• Like 1

My favorite Billy solo. I don't usually do this, but I learned both the Strat and the LP part. Cheap Sunglasses solo is a close second.

So far nobody has mentioned Peter Frampton, so I won't either. But I WILL mention Steve Morse.

[video=youtube;n74ByOR_t8Y]

I will. His solo on this tune is brilliant, and quite unorthodox for the time and genre. Starts at 1:35

[video=youtube;ySmy4_VgnV4]

• Like 1

Mick Taylor is one of my favourite soloists

These are a couple of his best solos

Cant You Hear Me Knocking

[video=youtube;cpwsTyD6XQg]

Winter

[video=youtube;frt_f0eP_Hs]

Edited by Daryl Flynn
  • Like 1

Thank you Red Ant for mentioning Bill Nelson, BUT...…..

The live "Adventures in a Yorkshire Landscape".... I mean really, is there anything better?

Anything by Mike Oldfield sends shivers down my spine.

Steve Hackett from Genesis, the Seconds Out version of "Firth of Fifth" Lead.... not really. Harmonic perfection? Oh yeah.

• Like 2

The live "Adventures in a Yorkshire Landscape".... I mean really, is there anything better?

Yes.

[video=youtube;D9Hy3jUrx6o]

Gilmour : High Hopes

Slash : November Rain

EVH : Eruption

Joe Satriani : Potatoe Head Groove Thing

Mike McReady : Alive

Steve Vai : Halo Theme =)

Check this one out....it starts at the intro, and the guitar work throughout is top-notch. Then there's the ride-out starting at 4:10....

[video=youtube;Tv39xT8L0dA]

technical great musicians and top arrangement., but to me this sounds like elevator music from the mall....

too many to pick from, aswell there is no answer to whats our favorite song or whats your favourite album, last time tried to answer the last one, i came up with a list of 35 albums, which are somehow to some extend important to me...

nobody has mentoined anything from jeff beck so far

if passion and emotion counts more than technical ability you can take any live jam from neil young when he goes off for ten to twenty minutes... like a hurrican e.g. or cortez the killer

• Like 1

Jim Babjak's awesome break in Smithereens' :Blues Before and After", with harmony licks by the late great Pat DiNizio, It's like the purest Marshall/Les Paul rock fury, actually all over the 11 album. In the same vein, Billy Duffy has a few good ones on the Cult's Electric LP (NOT including Born to be Wild)!