Bass Players that inspire you?

Luke17

• Members
Tony Levin been mentioned yet?

I love his work, love that Chapman Stick.

Tony is another bassist that is so much in demand and could play with anyone he chooses and pretty much has played with every quality musician out there...the list is Legion of the peeps that still want to sign him up.

I saw him with his brother Pete, billed as the Levin Brothers, a jazz set at a local venue near me called Havana🌴 in New Hope Pa.

Its a great venue, I have played there with my band over the years, and another venerable club across the street, John and Peters.

It was record cold in the area the evening We saw The Brothers play, but the musical heat was on that night.🙂

• Members
Ralph Armstrong - here playing an awesome bass solo with the Jean Luc Ponty band. Gives me goosebumps most every time, as long as I don't pay too much attention to how much the drummer gooses it when Ralph kicks in the fuzz/wah. I understand though. Drumma be like GO! :lol:

​​​​​​​

I have played this vid 6 times in a row and still can’t get enough..this is some high energy chit...what a gang of awesome players who mesh together so well..I like the tempo change when Jean Luc kicks in with the violin.

thanks for posting this my man.👍

• Members
Jack Casady was one of the busiest bass players in the Rock of that era. I think his work on "Crown of Creation" really stands out. He had his rumble on.

’Had his rumble on’ haha like it!

So many bassists of that era loved the semi- hollow body, Hillman, Casady, Bill Wynan, Macca etc.

• Members
Never heard that before! I'm assuming he's playing that on a electric bass, but it has a acoustic type tone that's hard as hell to achieve.

great share! One of those moments when I slap my forehead and think. "Damn! I'd forgot all about him!' (Ponty} I imagine given your instrument of choice, I sound like a Philistine now...Lol...

I'm going to go with fretless electric. He can glide around in a fretless way...and there is some pitch movement I don't think he could get otherwise.

You 'get it' way too much for me to think you a Philistine. :cool2: And I kind of forgot about him too...in the quest to be me.

Also, his music took a turn that just no longer worked for me - not long after the albums Cosmic Messenger, and A Taste For Passion. Exit happenin' jazz/rock. Enter boring steady state conceptual sequencer party.

It was just last year when I gave him a new listen with older ears. There's 4 or 5 albums that are the sweet spot for me.

• Members

I have played this vid 6 times in a row and still can’t get enough..this is some high energy chit...what a gang of awesome players who mesh together so well..I like the tempo change when Jean Luc kicks in with the violin.

thanks for posting this my man.👍

You're welcome! Yes, the mesh is stellar. It's remarkable how Ralph Armstrong rolls right along with the drummer rushing and then relaxing, particularly in the area I previously mentioned. No cause for alarm, got it all the way. Locked.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Yeah, thanks to a recent new thread, I would also like to add Tony Franklin to my list of inspirational bass players..

when I first heard his bass on ‘Radioactive’ by the Firm my musician buddy’s and I thought that he was using an effects box/ pedal..we called it the ‘fart bass’ sound.

but it was that fretless bass sound, demonstrated here.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Has Pino Palladino been mentioned yet?

Also, you may not have heard of him before, but check out Jerry Seay. Band is Mother's Finest, and he created some of the essential funk-rock bass sounds back in the 70s. I was lucky enough to hear the band live in about '78 or '79, and his playing still sticks with me.

[video=youtube;ndipC4d8F0w]

[video=youtube;aC7_LAklaHo]

• Members
Has Pino Palladino been mentioned yet?

Also, you may not have heard of him before, but check out Jerry Seay. Band is Mother's Finest, and he created some of the essential funk-rock bass sounds back in the 70s. I was lucky enough to hear the band live in about '78 or '79, and his playing still sticks with me.

[video=youtube;ndipC4d8F0w]

[video=youtube;aC7_LAklaHo]

Pino was mentioned in another thread here on SSS..about him playing flawless and beautifu fretlessl bass on Don Henley’s ‘Sunset Grill’

tgread was by Bill5

wow, this two vids you posted here blew me away.

mí gusta.

• Members

But for a very long time, Paul Denman of Sade’s Band has been my Muse...

And who is more lovely and talented, than the exotic, sultry eyed, velvet voiced, Chanteuse, Sade?

I'd never heard much of Sade, other then "Smooth Operator" and a couple of other songs that have gotten some frequent play here and there. So since you brought her to mind I decided to do some listening check her out. :music005:

There are several songs I like quite a bit. And I'm totally hooked on "Haunt Me".

What a beautiful song!

And maybe the coolest thing about that velvet, for me, is when she sets it aside a bit and her tone clarifies and...straight shot to the heart.:sm-heart:

It's been a while since I've felt compelled to cover anything...but I think I'm there. :)

:thu:

• Members

I'd never heard much of Sade, other then "Smooth Operator" and a couple of other songs that have gotten some frequent play here and there. So since you brought her to mind I decided to do some listening check her out. :music005:

There are several songs I like quite a bit. And I'm totally hooked on "Haunt Me".

What a beautiful song!

And maybe the coolest thing about that velvet, for me, is when she sets it aside a bit and her tone clarifies and...straight shot to the heart.:sm-heart:

It's been a while since I've felt compelled to cover anything...but I think I'm there. :)

:thu:

‘Haunt Me’ is a lovely song..as lovely as Sade...the intro is simple yet pulls me in, haunting if you will.

Glad/flattered that you took the time to explore her catalog of songs.🎻

I started this thread to get some insight as to some bass players I might be interested in hearing, both popular and obscure..the resulting input was/is astounding to me.

So many good choices...I am still delving into the works of the peeps you guys recommended to me,

anybody out there who would still like to share?

bring it on...🎤

• Members

Another listen and it dawned on me that the main motif of the song is the same as the opening 5 or 6 notes of the guitars in Hotel California. And the turnaround is the exact same chord in each. (The Eagles probably weren't the first to come across it either.) And the song was written by...the guitar player. Fortunately, though the phrase has similar elements and finishes from the same direction, he hangs a left at Albukoykee and we don't actually wind up at that confounded hotel. It's still a beauty, and Sade's efforts within are by no means diminished. Just couldn't help noticing....unfortunately.

• Members

So many good choices...I am still delving into the works of the peeps you guys recommended to me,

anybody out there who would still like to share?

bring it on...🎤

I do hereby nominate the entire string bass section of the Philadelphia Symphony Orchestra. From the mid 50's through the 70's, or so, they were known to have perhaps the very best strings in the world. Delving into that catalog and comparing with the catalog of other orchestras to see if they were indeed all that should keep you busy for a while. very-happy.png.197c47f720636f02390cc2b0a33804da.png' alt='smiley-veryhappy'>

And I think that' s about it from me. Happy listening. :wave:

• Members

I’m only about 30 minutes from Center City Philly..I actually got to see the Orchestra perform at the Philadelphia. Academy of Arts..but I was 12 years old, on a school trip and I’m afraid it was a real yawn for us kids.

Their home base is now The Kimmel Ctr. for the Performing Arts..

Beautiful building w/ excellent acoustics.

• Members

Stuart Hamm....There isn't a lot of material on the web per se. The guy has been a reliable sideman for decades. He did release a solo album a few decades ago where he pulled all kinds of people in to help, including one of my favs, Eric johnson and actually had a instrumental single with him that charted, albeit briefly. I found this solo on YouTube he did, where he visits so many different genres of music in one lyrical, clean solo..That's its just ridiculous.

• Members
I’m only about 30 minutes from Center City Philly..I actually got to see the Orchestra perform at the Philadelphia. Academy of Arts..but I was 12 years old, on a school trip and I’m afraid it was a real yawn for us kids.

Their home base is now The Kimmel Ctr. for the Performing Arts..

Beautiful building w/ excellent acoustics.

For the most part the kiddie shows - it's a bit like taking them all out to a fancy french chef restaurant when most of them would rather be at Pizza Hut.

But, there's always the hope...

Glad to hear the orchestra is still in business, They're probably still pretty good. smiley-wink

But if 'serious music' doesn't fit the bill, by all means scratch that offering. :D

I bought the acoustic violin I worked with for many years in Philadelphia. It was made there by Helmuth Keller & Sons. 17th and Pine I think. ( And I still have it.)

And at some place called Medley Music Mall I bought my first electric violin, a Tucker Barret solid body acryllic 5 string. Oh, and I also got my first amp there, a trusty Roland JC120 circa 1983. And I still have both of them as well. :) The acrylic violin has gotten kinda heavy though...

Apologies for the trip OT.

• Members

Yeah, when we went to see the Orchestra it was in May...the Beatles had appeared on Ed Sullivan just a few short months earlier.

They were our focus and raison de être.

The Orchestra is still among the Top Five ...I think they still do over a hundred gigs a year.

My step daughter took her kids to the Mann Music Ctr. In Philly back in July of this year to see a Harry Potter movie, not sure which one...on a ginormous screen...

The Philadelphia Orchestra did the musical score live.

Don’t know if the kids dug the score, but they might have picked up some appreciation via osmosis.

Shît happens 🙉

• Members
Incredible...just farkin’ incredible...

Any idea as to what make bass he is playing?

You know , I can't get a clear view on the peckerhead on that bass, but probably a custom job someone built for him. '86 was the apex of his salad days as far as exposure so he could probably afford a custom job. The shape of the body and peckerhead is oddly reminiscent of a couple of Guild models.

Alls I know is he totally owned that one. He was touring with Joe Satriani and that would have been about the time guys like Satch and Vai were hitting it big, and shredding was the order of the day.

You know I was totally into guys like those back then. I could never play like that, but was knocked out by those that could, then at least.

Not any more. Got past that whole eatin' up the self indulgence stuff. Anymore a little is enough for me. I'd rather harken back to guys that could craft the little gems of solos. Roger McGuinn, Mike Campbell, Eliot Easton with the Cars. Easton still knocks me out. That guy could put together these short little solos that just stabbed the helloutta ya. Yet served the song.

Of course Keef's little beauties...Harrison and Lennon's solos. Lennon's solo on "You Can't do That" still ranks at the top for me. Thought it was Harrison for ages...Then saw a early concert of them on YouTube and there it was...John pumping it out, just like the record while Hari kept the rhythm going.

• Members

Same, try as I may I couldn’t get a good gander at the headstock..but like you, I was thinking it is maybe a custom job..it has the mid-eighties look.

I’m with you on Elliot Easton’s solos.. he says so much in such a brevity of notes, a

comes on like a Blitzkrieg... quick and incisive attack, great dynamics, build up..then BAM!

The dude is outta there like a thief in the night or a Navy SEAL.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members
One of my favorite bands, Finn Brothers/ gorgeous lyrics, dear departed Hester on Drums..but Nick Seymour’s Bass steaks this farewell performance...It is beyond exquisite.

Well thanks Luke...Broke my damn heart....I'd never seen that before. The entire song is beyond exquisite. That grin on Hester's face right before the semi-encore...Priceless.

Takes me back to the whole MTV glory days...Where Split Enz were one of the real bright spots among the Hair Bands that dominated. Totally creative songwriting, great playing, great vocals, production qualities out the wazoo...

Now I'm gonna hafta dig out my vinyl of Waiata and rip it....Damn ya Luke...Damn ya all to hell...:lol::lol::staticphil:

Archived