Best Acoustic Guitars.....

Freeman Keller

• Members

Well, if it means anything to make the point, my POV is the best in the world an no one can prove me wrong.

Best is simply a word that catches the eye. The goal is not to satisfy or even define the word in its most academic use but to spread it across an ROI relative to certain brands and models of a musical instrument. That becomes a target no one can take aim at.

Fawning about brand and model isn't in the make-up of the article. In that context, or lack of, it delivers some basic points that entry-level minded people would like to know as a starting point to move from. I did not find it subjective. I found it parroting much of the web-based weight of preferences for the brands/models it brings to the awareness of a certain audience that is not yet tainted with brand preference.

I think the knee-jerk to the article is a bit frothy with the haute opinion of a bunch of wounded birds and hardly in need of their validation.

Ow!

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Voted #1. A local jeweler has a sign that reads "Voted #1" in the county for what it does. I was waiting for my wife to place an order in a bakery so I visited the jeweler next door. It didn't have much visual appeal (usual display cases, etc.) or anything spectacular in them so I asked the clerk(?) how the store got voted #1. She said the owners voted themselves #1. Works for me.

I don't think they're in business any more but there used to be a deli not far from me that had a sign out front that proclaimed, "Worlds' greatest sandwiches." Our daughter and I ate there once and, while the sandwiches were good, I'd hesitate to call them the "world's greatest."

• Members
Usable for you, granted. Inaccurate? I didn’t catch that. Opinionated, yes, but accurate as far as that goes.

How about:

"Ash is a popular tonewood known for its pleasing resonance."

Not on acoustic guitars. Strats maybe. Sure, there are acoustic guitars made of ash but they aren't common.

"'action' . . . refers to the distance between the strings and the fretboard and how this distance affects sound quality."

Action affects playability far more than sound quality.

"The attachment between the neck and body of an acoustic guitar is a critical design and construction element. Make sure it's what you want before you invest in a particular guitar."

A beginner shouldn't care how the neck is attached and probably doesn't know enough to judge.

"Excessive buzzing is a symptom of low action, . . ."

Partly true. Excessive buzzing is a symptom of a bad setup, possibly even poor fret work, which involves more than just action.

". . . if the action is too high, the lightest-gauge strings will not improve the tone."

See above.^ High action with very light strings is likely to affect intonation far more than tone.

"What is the nature of the neck/body connection in the acoustic guitar?

Some manufacturers reinforce this connection mechanically using special metal truss rods . . ."

The truss rod doesn't attach the neck to the body.

The above are all direct quotes from the "Shopping guide." I'd call them "inaccurate." YMMV.

• Members

How about:

"Ash is a popular tonewood known for its pleasing resonance."

Not on acoustic guitars. Strats maybe. Sure, there are acoustic guitars made of ash but they aren't common.

"'action' . . . refers to the distance between the strings and the fretboard and how this distance affects sound quality."

Action affects playability far more than sound quality.

"The attachment between the neck and body of an acoustic guitar is a critical design and construction element. Make sure it's what you want before you invest in a particular guitar."

A beginner shouldn't care how the neck is attached and probably doesn't know enough to judge.

"Excessive buzzing is a symptom of low action, . . ."

Partly true. Excessive buzzing is a symptom of a bad setup, possibly even poor fret work, which involves more than just action.

". . . if the action is too high, the lightest-gauge strings will not improve the tone."

See above.^ High action with very light strings is likely to affect intonation far more than tone.

"What is the nature of the neck/body connection in the acoustic guitar?

Some manufacturers reinforce this connection mechanically using special metal truss rods . . ."

The truss rod doesn't attach the neck to the body.

The above are all direct quotes from the "Shopping guide." I'd call them "inaccurate." YMMV.

Ash, yeah, not in the “generally accepted as popular” category, you got me on that.

Action actually does affect sound quality, though it’s not something most appreciate. Bill Monroe and Earl Scruggs did though, and you and I would have to have great hand strength to play one of their instruments. I’m sure there’s plenty other players, myself included, who don’t like action too low. It affects the sound.

Attachment is a critical design element, and whether a beginner should be aware or care less is up to opinion. I fall in your camp, but it’s not false.

Excessive buzzing IS a symptom of too low action, among other things, so not inaccurate.

Truss rods reinforce the neck, so their wording may be off and a bit simplified, so a bit inaccurate.

Don’t mean to beat a dead horse here, but the article certainly wasn’t anything to get your hackles up about, it wasn’t meant for the seasoned player or folks with friendly resources, so as far as that goes, nothing written was blatantly wrong. ...except that “ash” as a tonewood, grrr. Everybody knows striped ebony is a popular tonewood known for its pleasing resonance. :)

• Members

I tried to edit, but site is weird sometimes...

about the truss rod, it does reinforce the neck on a steel string guitar, without it ... so not inaccurate, tho not complete.

but im no luthier, won’t mind if you tell me I’m off base on that.

• Members
Ash, yeah, not in the “generally accepted as popular” category, you got me on that.

Action actually does affect sound quality, though it’s not something most appreciate. Bill Monroe and Earl Scruggs did though, and you and I would have to have great hand strength to play one of their instruments. I’m sure there’s plenty other players, myself included, who don’t like action too low. It affects the sound.

Attachment is a critical design element, and whether a beginner should be aware or care less is up to opinion. I fall in your camp, but it’s not false.

Excessive buzzing IS a symptom of too low action, among other things, so not inaccurate.

Truss rods reinforce the neck, so their wording may be off and a bit simplified, so a bit inaccurate.

Don’t mean to beat a dead horse here, but the article certainly wasn’t anything to get your hackles up about, it wasn’t meant for the seasoned player or folks with friendly resources, so as far as that goes, nothing written was blatantly wrong. ...except that “ash” as a tonewood, grrr. Everybody knows striped ebony is a popular tonewood known for its pleasing resonance. :)

Yes, action affects tone but to a lesser extent than it affects playability. A beginner would and should be more concerned about the latter. I'm also someone who prefers action that some would consider "high" but for different reasons; I tend to be ham fisted and higher action eliminates buzzing.

Neck attachment is only a "critical design element" if you think it is. Neither dovetail nor bolt-on affects the playing or lifespan of the guitar and beginners don't need to know anyway. For that matter, I doubt the majority of pros give it much thought.

Excessive buzzing is a symptom of a poor setup, of which action is only one element. Inadequate relief and poor fretwork can also cause buzzing. No more than partially accurate at best.

The whole point--for me, anyway--is that the "Shopping guide" doesn't really provide much guidance so it kinda fails. Again, YMMV.

• Members

Suggestion to all the tainted gurus here troubled by the best word. Take the time to re-read the article and then re-write it in your own words with the intent of objectively informing your readers about the brands/models chosen in it. Let's see if you can provide a mother's curiosity solid advice about a guitar for her son that doesn't take her through the mine field of your own opinions. Betcha can't.

Archived