Best Acoustic Guitars.....

Freeman Keller

• Members
I'm offended from a business sense that they continue to pump out crappy entry level acoustics against their premium brand. They should brand them Squier and sell actual high grade Fender acoustics. It baffles the mind.

I can see that. The Paramount series is in the $800-and-up range. The upper models in the California series are around $800 or so. Call those "Fender" and everything below Squier. I don't agree that they should stay out of the acoustic business, which strikes me as snobbish, but if they're going to sell acoustics they might as well do them right. There's Formica crap out there pretending to be Martin guitars so Fender isn't alone in putting its name where it doesn't belong.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I hate to say it but you guys have fallen prey to click bait. Journalism has unfortunately degraded to the point where opinions pass as fact and even highly esteemed outlets fail to check their facts.

As my mama used to say take everything you hear with a grain of salt.

• Members
I hate to say it but you guys have fallen prey to click bait. Journalism has unfortunately degraded to the point where opinions pass as fact and even highly esteemed outlets fail to check their facts.

As my mama used to say take everything you hear with a grain of salt.

I don't think anyone is saying the "article"/"guide" or whatever they're trying to make it look like is serious journalism. Some of us are, however, pointing out how misleading and uninformed it is.

• 1 month later...
  • Members
Every single Fender acoustic I've played has been lifeless and crappy.

That's why the bought Guild.

I played recently a few of the Guild's lesser expensive imports.

Not bad for like 500 bucks or less. w/a pickups system too boot.

This stuff is totally tour bar worthy.

[video=youtube;-X5GP00iLU0]

[video=youtube;nsOYasBqn4U]

[video=youtube;NH9JQQk_NRQ]

[video=youtube;-1Gj9qjFRVk]

• Members

All of them string the guitars before shipment, I have NEVER seen otherwise. :facepalm: Written by people who don't play and know nothing about the instrument.

i can`t under stand where you are coming from at all

they are obviously trying to sell guitars with everyone in mind not just people who already play but even people who do not or have never owned a guitar in their lives.

these are the sort of questions people who don`t play ask ..".will it have some strings ,,,will it be in tune ,,,where do i plug it in (acoustic )". and it aint their fault.

i remember seeing an advert for someone selling a guitar years ago in the local newspaper ,,"badly out of tune FG for sale " ,,whatever an FG was i don`t know, i assumed an SG.but you could tell they new nothing about it because saying it was out of tune was irrelevant any guitar can go out of tune with just a knock and that aint gonna bother me but someone who don`t know a thing about them might say stuff like that ,, " oh i`m not buying that FG it`s owt a tune". .but that`s only cause they don`t know the first thing about them . you have to bare that in mind when selling to fresh starters.

• Members

i can`t under stand where you are coming from at all

they are obviously trying to sell guitars with everyone in mind not just people who already play but even people who do not or have never owned a guitar in their lives.

I stand by what I said. Have you ever heard another company advertise that their guitars actually have strings when you buy them because not all do according to this article. Lame

• Members

I stand by what I said. Have you ever heard another company advertise that their guitars actually have strings when you buy them because not all do according to this article. Lame

"Many acoustic guitar manufacturers will pre-string their products before selling them,"

yes sorry i missed that quote and the word "many".

Are some builders e.g. china shipping them without strings to companys over here who then string them up.?i wouldn`t be suprised.

• Members

Ha! Yeah, from a “seasoned player”’s (Wood sniffer) point of view, it’s pretty sophomoric. But calm down, this review ain’t for ...you. All those guitars would perfectly suit a beginner, and the “review”, while tainted with ad money, is extremely basic, but it would suit a parent or similarly motivated buyer ok. Perfect? No. Biased? Definitely. Horribly mis-directed? Not at all. Hi, btw.

• Members
"Many acoustic guitar manufacturers will pre-string their products before selling them,"

yes sorry i missed that quote and the word "many".

Are some builders e.g. china shipping them without strings to companys over here who then string them up.?i wouldn`t be suprised.

Y’know, I understand that “many” Chinese/Indo guitars are shipped here to be set up by the company purchasing, so maybe they do.

• Members

If I was a maker of guitars that were slated for export I would not string them up. I would have in place a contract that states just that with the proviso that the retailer would string the guitars and perform the final (import) inspection and set up of newly arriving merchandise. I would not expect the retailer to offer anything less as my merchandiser. What I would state is which brand/gauge of strings I've found that represent the best performance possible from my guitars.

When I read that a maker ships his guitars with strings I can't help but wonder why. It certainly won't advantage the guitars considering possible extremes of temps, RH and even abusive handling encountered enroute from his facility. If the guitars were shipped with the strings slackened no fault no foul.

• Members

I have no idea. If it was an American company that had guitar manufactured overseas for cost reasons (lets say Gibson's Epiphone branch) I would think they would have them strung where the strings were cheapest. If a set of string cost 50 cents in China and the labor to put them on and tune them was a buck, compared to maybe 2 dollars for strings in the US and labor of 5, I would sure string 'em before I shipped 'em.

It was interesting that I was looking at jazz archtops the other day and some of the were MIC. They had strings on them but little pieces of foam padding under the floating bridges - in order to play the guitar someone was going to have to loosen the strings, take the bridge off, take the pad off, then replace the bridge and tune it back up. As you know, moving the bridge on an archtop screws up its intonation. Why not just ship the bridge in the pocket of the case and tell the store to put it all together.

• Members

How about the word best?

True dat. BUT, and it’s a big but ;), who on the Internet, large/small company, personal opinion blog, etc., doesn’t lay claim to “best” at some point in their spiel? Sure, you’ll come up with a few, but for the most part, all of them. And this one really doesn’t steer that particular demographic wrong. And that demographic is people that want to learn or want their kids to learn, don’t have a boatload of cash, or knowledgeable friends, and don’t want crap. Article hits a BULLSEYE with that particular audience. ...at least in the rings...:)

• Members

Voted #1. A local jeweler has a sign that reads "Voted #1" in the county for what it does. I was waiting for my wife to place an order in a bakery so I visited the jeweler next door. It didn't have much visual appeal (usual display cases, etc.) or anything spectacular in them so I asked the clerk(?) how the store got voted #1. She said the owners voted themselves #1. Works for me.

• Members

How about the word best?

Well, if it means anything to make the point, my POV is the best in the world an no one can prove me wrong.

Best is simply a word that catches the eye. The goal is not to satisfy or even define the word in its most academic use but to spread it across an ROI relative to certain brands and models of a musical instrument. That becomes a target no one can take aim at.

Fawning about brand and model isn't in the make-up of the article. In that context, or lack of, it delivers some basic points that entry-level minded people would like to know as a starting point to move from. I did not find it subjective. I found it parroting much of the web-based weight of preferences for the brands/models it brings to the awareness of a certain audience that is not yet tainted with brand preference.

I think the knee-jerk to the article is a bit frothy with the haute opinion of a bunch of wounded birds and hardly in need of their validation.

Archived