Wireless bass

isaac42

• Moderators

I've been using a wireless rig for years. I had a Nady true diversity rig, 20Hz-20KHz. Worked great for about 10-12 years, until it didn't. Then I got a Nady 1001 unit. Not true diversity, not as good on the low end, 50Hz-20KHz. Still sounds pretty good, but I imagine that I can hear the difference. But it's having some issues lately. Crackly sound, like multipath interference on an FM radio.

Anybody have any experience with more modern wireless rigs? I'm thinking I want 20Hz-20KHz frequency response. Do I need true diversity? I want to be able to run all around the bar with no sound issues.

• Members

30 or 40Hz-20KHz should be more than adequate. A 4-string bass in Standard only goes down to 41Hz and even a 5-string in Standard only to around 31Hz. True diversity does sound like something worthwhile, especially if you're going to be moving quite a bit.

• Moderators

Yeah, 30Hz ought to be adequate on the low end, especially as few bass amplification systems go that low, but I'm something of a purist. Okay, a lot. A 30 Hz cutoff means that the system response is already down by 3 dB at that frequency. I figure that a 20Hz cutoff would give me plenty of bandwidth for a 4-string, and shouldn't have audible effects on a 5-string's low B. I also realize that I'm probably fooling myself, but what the heck? It's not going to break me.

So, to rephrase, what I'm looking for is a wireless rig that has no audible loss at either the high end (not a big issue) or the low end, and is reliable, in terms of dropouts, multipath, and failure issues.

• Members

I'd be more worried about build quality, durability and clean reception for the cost over whether the unit transmits lows no one will ever hear. Its not just the transmitter that determines frequency response, its the quality of the preamp in the transmitter and receiver.

Nady and Samson make bottom end gear. Much of it can be far worse then anything Behringer makes. You can of course find some things they build which are OK, but as you've found, others may not work so hot. I tried a Nady wireless mic system several years ago and had massive interference issues so I sent it back for a refund.

I did a search and it looks like some of the manufacturers who used to build decent wireless systems aren't making them any more.

Out of the ones I could find it looks like AKG, Line 6, Audio Technica, or Boss are your best bet. You'd typically want to buy one that has double the range you need. If you want a 50' range of clear reception, buy one that transmits at least 100'. When you get a room full of people carrying cell phones you're less likely to loose your signal.

Out of the ones I looked at this Line 6 looks decent. I like the fact you can choose different frequencies. If the environment had allot of electrical noise you can switch channels.

No problem with your frequency response either. This one goes from 10Hz to 20KHz. The battery life could be a little better but it does use AA batteries and not 9V which are far more expensive. You could try rechargeable batteries and save money there. https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/RelayG30--line-6-relay-g30

• Moderators

In my mind, build quality is included in reliability.After all, if something isn't built well, then it isn't going to last. You say that Nady is bottom end, and you may be right, but my first Nady system lasted me at least a decade. I think that's decent.

I looked at several more modern systems, and the Line 6 does look good. I get the impression that it has features that are optimized for guitar, and I'd be paying for those, but, if I can find a good deal, that becomes moot.

As for the low end, you have your preferences, and I have mine.

• Moderators
A quick search of the Sweetwater site for wireless guitar units with true diversity showed only a single Samson unit so you may have to forego that feature or look elsewhere: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...-system-d-band.

Yeah, I'm not married to that as such. Range and reliability are what I'm after. True diversity has been one way to get those, but it's not necessarily the only way.

• 1 month later...
  • Moderators

Just put in an order for a Shure GLXD14. The lead guitarist in one of my bands has a GLX-D16, and they are designed to work as a system, so it should work out well.

20-20KHz frequency response, so I'm good there. Guitarist used his at a recent gig, and had no issues at all, anywhere in the place. I think we'll be good.

• Members
  • Moderators

You go ahead and be a boring, stand in one place kind of player. Me, I love getting off the stage and interacting with the audience, and the audience loves it, too.

Yeah, none of my old units are 600MHz, so no rebate for me.

• Members
You go ahead and be a boring, stand in one place kind of player. Me, I love getting off the stage and interacting with the audience, and the audience loves it, too.

Yeah, none of my old units are 600MHz, so no rebate for me.

Happy (Pending) New Wireless Rig Day. :thu: Hope it works out for you. If your luck is anything like mine you probably wouldn't qualify for the rebate anyway. Years ago Sony was offering an $80 rebate IIRC on car stereo units. The stereo that was in my car when I bought it was a POS but I didn't qualify because the old unit needed to be in perfect working condition.

• Members

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","title":"41TGeoLgMDL.jpg","data-attachmentid":32328252}[/ATTACH]

Got a set of these Xvives. Cheap and seem to work well. I have to try them out in a band setting, but so far they seem to work fine for passive instruments. They did get a bit noisy with the Kala Ubass but have worked with everything else I've tried so far.

• Moderators
Happy (Pending) New Wireless Rig Day. :thu: Hope it works out for you. If your luck is anything like mine you probably wouldn't qualify for the rebate anyway. Years ago Sony was offering an $80 rebate IIRC on car stereo units. The stereo that was in my car when I bought it was a POS but I didn't qualify because the old unit needed to be in perfect working condition.

If my old rigs were in perfect working condition, then why would I need a new one? :lol:

• Moderators
[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none"' date='"data-size":"full","title":"41TGeoLgMDL.jpg","data-attachmentid":32328252}[/ATTACH']

Got a set of these Xvives. Cheap and seem to work well. I have to try them out in a band setting, but so far they seem to work fine for passive instruments. They did get a bit noisy with the Kala Ubass but have worked with everything else I've tried so far.

I've seen some positive reviews of those, but I don't know how well they'd get along with the guitarist's GLX-D16. The Shure units are designed to work together as a system, so I'm fairly confident that my new one, when it arrives, will work well with his.

• Members

I've seen some positive reviews of those, but I don't know how well they'd get along with the guitarist's GLX-D16. The Shure units are designed to work together as a system, so I'm fairly confident that my new one, when it arrives, will work well with his.

Everyone I play with lives in the far past and none use wireless so I bet I'll be ok. :D Plus, these do have 4 different channels. Range seems to only be about 30 to 40 feet, definitely not going to replace a good true diversity system.

• Members
Everyone I play with lives in the far past and none use wireless so I bet I'll be ok. :D Plus' date=' these do have 4 different channels. Range seems to only be about 30 to 40 feet, definitely not going to replace a good true diversity system.[/quote']

I've never done wireless either except for mikes. If it works for you go for it. :thu:

• Members
I'm a guitar player mostly, use an effect pedal board when the job calls for it.

You still can go wireless, but you still need to get back to the pedal board from time to time. . . .

Is there some reason you think wireless won't work with pedals? Seems like anything designed to plug into a guitar/bass amp (i.e., a wireless receiver) would also be able to plug into a pedal. If you're so dependent on pedals (except maybe a volume/expression pedal) that you can't stray more than a foot or so from your pedal board maybe wireless isn't for you but otherwise it shouldn't be an issue.

Archived