Stoopid cheap IPR-3000's $340

• Members

I bought one from American Musical Supply yesterday for the same price from the scratch&dent which they say comes with full manufacturers warranty. Figured I would get one since the regular price on these went up from $399 to $449.

http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-PEV-IPR3000-LIST

Said there were 3 as of yesterday when I bought it yesterday...and still 3 left. Huh?

• Members

I always see blems as a scary venture.

Got it in today - I can't see any blemishes on it. Kinda weird - the fan doesn't come on right away, takes almost a minute and even then it starts slowly. Anybody ever count the number of blue LED's in these? Gotta be 30 or so? And I didn't know the SpeakOns are the combo style so you can use 1/4" cords for the 1500w per channel outputs :facepalm: . Did I mention it is stoopid light? I'm tempted to order two more to put in a 6U plastic shallow rack I have here just because I can :cool: - it would total 37 lbs so you could carry one in each hand and make a single trip with 18kw of amps :eek: . Maybe I should get into the reconing business - these new amps coming out should create plenty of business for sure :freak: .

Anybody wanna buy an RMX2450 clone and two RMX1450 clones cheap ? :D

• Members
this is a really interesting amp.

The spec sheet that came with it says it's 440w @ 8 ohms compared to the RMX2450's 500w - so it really isn't that powerful an amp for typical 8 ohm use. Perhaps that's why they have so many customer returns? OTOH it is 840w @ 4 ohms vs the 2450's 750w. What the world actually needs is an amp that will push 600w @ 8 and 1200w @ 4 for typical use - no? The RMX4050HD is about perfect, the Peavey IPR 4500 will be a bit too much really for a pair of 4 ohm subs - too bad they aren't going to make an IPR-3750 :( . OTOH the 4500 should be perfect driving a pair of 4 ohm 2x18 subs (560w per cone) and a pair of 500w+ tops in mono :) . That was my original plan.

• Members

I wish the IPR4500 was a reality, I would love to try them out as I am looking at changing the amplifiers in my current rig.

Low A/C current draw and higher output is very tempting on a lot of the newer offerings that are out there right now.

The only thing stopping me from getting something new is the price on some of these!

But, I don't know if I can wait another 2,3,10 years for Peavey to actually produce a product they introduced 2+ years ago!!

• Members

Yah Vinny, they really should have skipped over the 3000 and done the 4500 first (or a 3750 or 4000 instead of the two). On the other end the 1600 is just too big for the monitors I typically use - wish they had made an RMX850 class amp for that :( . But hey, I'm probably in a small minority on that :lol: .

• Members

Low A/C current draw? Where is that advertised?

In the 1/8th power spec. provided in the specifications of most manufactures?

Look at the line current on the Crown Macrotech I series: http://www.crownaudio.com/pdf/amps/141302.pdf

The Crown MAi5000 @ 4ohms produces 2000watts (per. channel) while only using 7.8 amps

My current QSC RMX4050HD @ 4ohms produces 1300watts (per. channel) while using 10.0 amps

The Crown weighs 28lbs, the QSC weighs 68lbs!

• Members
The spec sheet that came with it says it's 440w @ 8 ohms compared to the RMX2450's 500w - so it really isn't that powerful an amp for typical 8 ohm use. Perhaps that's why they have so many customer returns? OTOH it is 840w @ 4 ohms vs the 2450's 750w. What the world actually needs is an amp that will push 600w @ 8 and 1200w @ 4 for typical use - no? The RMX4050HD is about perfect, the Peavey IPR 4500 will be a bit too much really for a pair of 4 ohm subs - too bad they aren't going to make an IPR-3750
:(
. OTOH the 4500 should be perfect driving a pair of 4 ohm 2x18 subs (560w per cone) and a pair of 500w+ tops in mono
:)
. That was my original plan.

seems a great match for many of the speakers that might be used with it. Since it is aimed at price conscious buyers, the speakers they may be using might also be in that category. 440 watts RMS is a great fit for most of the drivers in that category.

• Members

Why do you think I'm off? Do the math, it's right there on the chart you posted. 7.8Amps @ 64.9 Watts per 1 amp of line current.

64.9 x 7.8 = 506.22 Watts / 2 = 250 Watts per channel, which also happens to be 1/8th of the 2,000 Watts you mentioned. Which also happens to be the test parameter stated, 1/8th power.

How do you think the amp will be delivering 4,000 watts while drawing 936 from the wall? It's not, it's delivering 500 Watts while drawing 936 watts from the wall. 53% efficient

• Members

Why do you think I'm off? Do the math, it's right there on the chart you posted. 7.8Amps @ 64.9 Watts per 1 amp of line current.

64.9 x 7.8 = 506.22 Watts / 2 = 250 Watts per channel, which also happens to be 1/8th of the 2,000 Watts you mentioned. Which also happens to be the test parameter stated, 1/8th power.

How do you think the amp will be delivering 4,000 watts while drawing 936 from the wall? It's not, it's delivering 500 Watts while drawing 936 watts from the wall. 53% efficient

Your right, I didn't divide by 2 :facepalm:

Still much more effecient then the current amp I am using with having more power.

Archived