Bridge separating

EdBega

• Members

I would only recommend it for an inexpensive guitar or at least until you've done it one time before something more precious to you. On a side note I almost got phillips head bolts but went with hex bolts thankfully because they had to be wrenched out since the epoxy went up above the wax line due to the paper towel plugs by creating a seal of sort. On the plus side I don't see a drip of epoxy inside the box as a result of the plugs...

• Members

The plugs were a great idea. Did you have to clean the holes out or were you able to just pop the plugs out. I usually have to ream glue out of the holes to get the pins to seat correctly.

And yes, it is frequently necessary to reach inside with a box end wrench and unscrew the bolts - having standard hex heads makes it much easier. You could have also put the head of the bolts on the outside and screwed wing nuts on the inside but I think it is easier to have the bolts sticking out

• Members

The plugs soaked up the epoxy pretty good so had to drill them but went under drill bit size and then used a small rats tail file on all six holes. Think it was less than a fifteen minute job.

An allen wrench bolt inside the box might be a better way less fumbling than a wrench though a small ratchet wrench would work on the hex bolts better than the small wrench I used.

Archived