Just demoed the new Yamaha powered speakers...

• Members

So we demoed Yamaha's answer to the QSC KW series stuff. Sorry, I've already forgotten the model numbers of the Yamaha stuff (DSR112 maybe?), but it's the powered 12"+2" box and the 18" sub. We AB'ed them against our QSC K12's.

Running them both flat without any buttons in, they were similar in sound with the Yamaha having quite a bit more authority in the low end. There was also something a bit more pleasing about the high end in the Yamaha, though I couldn't really place it. They have a more conventional rectangular horn at 90x40 deg. There was a bit of wierdness perhaps right around the crossover point, but it wasn't enough to be annoying. They are advertised at 1300 watts I believe, not that I could prove or disprove it. The Yammie 12's (but not the 15's) have the extra angle to serve as a wedge, and I would definitely use it as such. I felt the angle was better than on the QSC, and that the Yammie would need less EQ out of the box to get nice and loud. At that point, it's only 40 degrees horizontal though, which might be narrow, if you tend to wander on stage.

The back panel on the Yammie was A LOT cleaner than on the QSC. Far fewer ins/outs and options. For ins and outs, it has an XLR in, 1/4" TRS in, and XLR thru. For controls it has volume, HPF and "D-contour", which provides even MORE bass presence (I can't see ever pressing this button). That's it folks. The rest of the back is taken up by a giant heat sink.

The sub we demoed, unfortunately, seemed to have been beaten up by too many overzealous rental companies. It performed really well at low level, but once we started to push it, it got really flabby and wasn't even close to going into protect yet, so I'm guessing they would be better out of the box. I'm looking to replace our K-subs with powered 18's, so I'm going to try to get one in again along with maybe a KW sub.

Bottom line? They're not going to replace the K's outright for us, as I think the K12's and 8's are very useful for a lot of applications and sound great. However, I think we will order at least a pair of the Yammie 12's to start with, to use for music applications.

• Members

You should have done an A/B at the point where the limiters kicks in. I don't think the QSC K or KW series have smooth sounding limiters from my listening experience. I hear that the Yammie limiters are not so subtle either.

We did, and I agree, but find that all powered speakers go from sounding good/great to {censored}ty suddenly. That means the limiting's working, and is a good indicator that you should turn down. I've always thought that it's one of the great selling points of the K's that they get as loud as they do before they go in to limit. Kicked the FBT's butts in regards to that. The Yammies had maybe even a bit more yet (perhaps substantiating the differences in wattage), but got even more woofy in the low end as you get close to it's max. It goes away with the HPF, but then sounds less musical. A graphic or couple of bands of parametric on it would get rid of it right.

I guess it's worth mentioning that the Yamaha is a bit cheaper than the QSC. I'm guessing the simplified i/o probably accounts for a lot of that, as the build quality seems great.

• Members

I have done A/B comparisons of different powered speakers at GC. I find that the Mackie HD1531's sounds absolutely great even into limiting (not solid red of course) as well as the JBL PRX635's and PRX615's. I really did not notice loss of bass or crumbling of the mids and highs when the red light flickers on any of these boxes. When I listened to the KW153 and KW152... I noticed the bass got squashed and you heard more midrange/high breakup as the limit light tickled.

I'm just wondering if the Yammies sound good as you happen to go into limiting. FYI... I don't recommend anyone ride the limit lights on their systems.

• Members

I have the EV ZX-A5 tops and I CAN'T get them to where the limiter kicks in. I've tried but by the time i think i'm close, the volume is so loud, i decide that i don't need to hear that lol

Ditto that for my RCF 522A's. I don't know how loud they'll get, but I've had them up to "scary loud" and have not seen the limiter.

Archived