Tips . . .

senorblues

• Members

It's all about the local circuits and supply and demand. Around here, the "working" three-chord hobbyists far outnumber professionals for whom performing is their primary source of income.

And don't forget that for the most part, young folks these days think music is free. . . on line, in person, etc. Boomers understand the role of tips in some aspects of American capitalism, but younger folks don't seem to. Success or failure of this model is determined by venues and consumers, not by us.

• Members

And the results are in . . . .

Fairly small crowd. As usual the first few songs got crickets, but by the third set everybody was fully engaged.

I seeded the tip jar with a $5 and a $10. That generated three more tens, a five, and a one. Not great, but not bad for a small rural brewery on pizza night.

No reference to the tip jar on mic.

• 2 months later...
  • Members

Tips aren't something we experience much in the UK.

A few times someone has come up and pushed some money into our hands and said 'buy yourself a drink' - but not often.

And sometimes someone has insisted on buying us a drink.

We don't have a tips jar either.

Us Brits feel weird about Tips. It's kind of alien to us!!!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Similar here in Canada. Servers get paid $12.20 ($9.30 US) an hour (slightly less than minimum wage of $14). They expect, and get, tips but won't starve if they don't. The US system of stupidly low wages and expect the customer to top it up seems exploitative to me.

• Members

Have we talked about tipping on special events? Every once in a while, I do a wedding or private function. I have found that if the buyers are "hip" they will tip something on the total - if they are paying cash, which I encourage folks to do. Sometimes I'm offered between 10 and 20 percent, which can be pretty nice if the gig is for $400 or $500 dollars. I never get tips on a gig where they are paying by cheque although they'll sometimes say, take some wine or beer home.... I certainly don't expect a tip on a good paying gig, but it's a nice surprise.

Speaking of the tip culture. I just had 1.800.GOT JUNK come to my place and haul some junk away. The bill was about $350 and when the driver handed me the keypad so I could pay, I noticed there was a tip option. I was quite surprised and just told the guy, sorry nothing personal but I'm not tipping. I had organized all the materials and made it pretty easy for them - and then I was expected to tip? Musicians, waitresses, barbers... and now trash collectors. What's next, policeman - I guess that would be considered a bribe!

• Members

I would prefer that people get paid a decent wage, and have that covered in my bill. Then if the service is excellent and I leave a tip it means just that, instead of meaning I'm obligated to tip.

One thing I noticed in Australian restaurants, is that the waters/waitresses didn't try to sell you things to make the bill and therefore the tip larger.

Since tip percentages vary from country to country, having a no-tip culture keeps me from over or under tipping.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

A couple years ago, I had a large snowblower drop shipped to my address. That means at the street - he can't go up the long uphill driveway with his big rig. I have a large hand truck convertible to four wheels and was not looking forward to getting it to my house, but the driver hefted it onto the hand truck and was going to move it by himself! We got it to the garage with no problem. He didn't have to do it, and I confess that it didn't occur to me at the time to tip him. He certainly deserved it!

• Members

I bought a shiny gold metal bowl at a thrift store for two dollars, drilled a hole through the bottom and mounted it to a mic stand i can place anywhere. I never seed it,and I never say anything about if over the mic.I just put it there, often with a humorous sign (my current favorite is a pic of Hendrix and a caption that says " 'Scuse me while I tip this guy!" I have one that says Justin Bieber Deportation Fund, and another that says Midlife Crisis Fund with images of boats, motorcycles and sports cars on it.

Tips are just part of the deal here,it's the only way some of these venues can afford live music. There are a couple of high dollar golf courses here that pay 250-300 for a solo gig for two hours, but most pay 100-175 a night for three hours. And most of them have tip jars they put out for you if you don't have one

I never take tips for granted, and I never complain about how much they put in. One venue I play the crowd considers a 5 a small tip,and I often get several 20s and tens. Another is in a more rural town and almost all the tips are ones. Any time anyone likes what I do enough to get up and put something in the tip jar, I'm grateful and frankly humbled.

• Members
I bought a shiny gold metal bowl at a thrift store for two dollars, drilled a hole through the bottom and mounted it to a mic stand i can place anywhere. I never seed it,and I never say anything about if over the mic.I just put it there, often with a humorous sign (my current favorite is a pic of Hendrix and a caption that says " 'Scuse me while I tip this guy!" I have one that says Justin Bieber Deportation Fund, and another that says Midlife Crisis Fund with images of boats, motorcycles and sports cars on it.

Tips are just part of the deal here,it's the only way some of these venues can afford live music. There are a couple of high dollar golf courses here that pay 250-300 for a solo gig for two hours, but most pay 100-175 a night for three hours. And most of them have tip jars they put out for you if you don't have one

I never take tips for granted, and I never complain about how much they put in. One venue I play the crowd considers a 5 a small tip,and I often get several 20s and tens. Another is in a more rural town and almost all the tips are ones. Any time anyone likes what I do enough to get up and put something in the tip jar, I'm grateful and frankly humbled.

You son of a buck.

I miss conversing with you, Pat.

• Members

Great ideas, although Justin Bieber's manager has a house close to my area of gigs, and I played JB's manager's wedding, so it might be like biting that hand that feeds. I like the Hendrix idea though. Wondering if you get requests for Hendrix because of that sign.

Further to the tip theme, an "older" lady yelled at me last night for not having a tip jar. Something like, "Where's your tip jar? C'mon, get it together!" She was probably right though - and gave me forty bucks anyway ($20 CDN and $20 real money).

• Members

I have a decorative jar with my business cards beside it. It says "tips and cuss jar". You get people actually using it as the "cuss jar"! Tips are so hit or miss, I never count on them. Tips go into the "replace cables, strings ,etc." fund. So the lesson is: have a jar but unless your a street musician don't play for tips!

Archived