Loaded pickguard question

smathis

• Members

I like humbuckers and I mostly play in the neck position. I don't play strats and if you want a strat sound you should go with single coils. You can always coil tap a 'bucker to get a single coil sound.

As long as your body seems to be routed for humbuckers you can add them any time you want, you just need a new p/g or route the hole the right size. Note that humbuckers and singles like different values for tone and volume controls - it can get a little tricky mixing them.

I'm going to guess that you will end up changing components in your 30 dollar pick guard anyway so you have lots of options

If I was going to go with a mix of single coils and humbuckers, I probably wouldn't opt for true single coils, but rather "stacked" humbuckers of some sort - they will usually work better with the 500k pots that you'd want to use along with the "real" (side by side coil) humbuckers, and all pickup selector switch positions will remain noise-free, which wouldn't be the case if you used true single coils. Stacked humbuckers are often hotter than their true single coil cousins, making level differences when switching pickups less obnoxious too.

• Members

Smathis, may I humbly suggest taking this discussion to the Electric Guitar subforum. DIY is very slow moving, not many of us bother to check here, but I can promise that if you ask about different p/u configurations you'll get a ton of good information. We even have a forumite named "Humbuckingstrat" - you can guess what he is going to suggest.

And lots of us post our do it yourself projects on the EG or AG forums - again, I promise you'll get many more comments (and maybe inspire someone to put together their own strat). I'm looking forward to seeing the progress on this.

Archived