Can you suggest a stage snake.

• Members

i just had a band to this exact thing last friday. i wont let them do it again! perhaps consider a dedicated split system instead of a kludged up mess. i do this kind of thing and off the top of my head i think i could do it for around $130 in parts for a simple setup, maybe more.

• Members

Basically when playing clubs with their own PA, I wanna send direct outs from my Mixwiz 16:2 to the FOH snake. And use the Mixwiz for IEM only.

Any recomendations?

You don't want to use the direct outs on the mixwiz for this purpose. The direct outs are line level. Get a split snake.

http://audiopile.net/products/Stagelink_snakes/Poorman_splitter_snakes/PSX-S_poorman_spliter_snakes_cutsheet.shtml

• Members

You don't want to use the direct outs on the mixwiz for this purpose. The direct outs are line level. Get a split snake.

those are quality units and would work well, but the solution doesnt need to be that expensive. a simple 1ru or 2ru panel, 16 or 32 panel mount xlr's and 30' of 16 core cable with 16 xlr's on one or both ends would do it. this of course assumes the wiz is in some type of rack. otherwise the above split boxes are a better choice.

• Members

what happens when you need phantom power to a condenser microphone? can you send phantom back into another preamp?

usually not a problem. you could add pin one lift switches if you want, but i have found that a mackie phantom power indicator will light up regardless of pin one disconnect when used as a secondary non-phantom board. it must find its way back through the earth but i cannot say for certain.

• Members

what happens when you need phantom power to a condenser microphone? can you send phantom back into another preamp?

When running a split, usually all the phantom power will come from the monitor console, but that's for you to decide before the show. Just make sure that one console or the other provides the phantom, NOT BOTH.

• Members

Generally, modern consoles include blocking for phantom power so it doesn't matter even if both are powered up except that sometimes you will get unresolvable noises.

For 100% reliable performance and lack of noises, one console should be transformer isolated from the other. That's what makes a pro splitter more costly, but also more reliable gig to gig.

• Members

Wouldn't it be better to use something like the MST-412 splitter that Audiopile sells? At least it has transformers to isolate the splits.

Yes.

Also, direct out (at this level anyway) are unbalanced so the potential for noise and ground loops is huge. Not my idea of a good set-up for success.

Archived