What size speaker is best for vocal floor monitors, 12's or 15's?

• Members

Things might very some on your stage size. Meaning that if the stage is real small 15" might be to big, to large of a footprint. I play drums but dont really need kick drum in my monitor so a K10 works great for me. Vocals up front the K10s work good too. Ive used alot of different 12" monitors and a few 15"s.

• Members

I run a pair of MRX512M and DTH monitors with a 15 and 2" horn. I find that the difference between these two is the "body" of the sound. The 15 sounds a bit "thicker" than the 12. With a bit of channel eq, I can get them to sound similar so either could be used in either position.

So, for an answer to when to use the 15 opposed to the 12, to me they are interchangeable. Now that said, I would not use the 12 for a keyboardist or a drummer. I blew the horn out of the JBL (cost $150 to fix) using it on the keyboard player.

• Members

Now that said, I would not use the 12 for a keyboardist or a drummer. I blew the horn out of the JBL (cost $150 to fix) using it on the keyboard player.

Not sure how having a monitor with a larger diameter LF driver would have avoided this issue... Que?

• Members

Not sure how having a monitor with a larger diameter LF driver would have avoided this issue... Que?

Assuming you need the low end AND the 15" cabinet has more low end than the comparable 12" cabinet, it's possible that less low end power would be required freeing up headroom to prevent clipping and high frequency damage. This is in theory, in practice though, generally by the time you run into this problem it's just too late and the difference between safe and damaged is small.

• Members

I called EV and talked to a guy that knows the Live X speakers and he said the 12's are the way to go for monitors and 15's for DJ.

He said the 12 would be OK for a little kick drum, but of course not as good as the 15.

If we're talking about that new series, the 12" speakers had more clarity, at least in that very dubious video demo.

Having said that, the EV SxA 250 works very well for a vocal monitor, as well as keys , horns and so on. Sometimes a 15" doesn't have the clarity of a 12" but sometimes it works just fine.

For instance.... I'd rather have a Yorkville NX750P than a Yorkville NX55P for vocal monitors, but I'd rather have a Yorkville e210 (two 10" speakers plus one horn) over either of the former Yorkville examples.

Archived