How to play live and record?

• Members

Hey there,

I would love to be able to play along with backing tracks that I've previously recorded and record at the same time. However, I've always gotten a feedback loop that I've never figured out. Can someone help me figure this out? I have a Korg D16 going into a mackie 1604 vlz pro. Thanks for any advice.

Rob

• Members

BTW, I understand that I could play through headphones instead of my house speakers to accomplish this, but I was hoping that there was some way to play live(through house speakers), with my backing tracks while recording on the same apparatus without a feedback loop. Maybe it's just not possible. Thanks again.

Rob

• Members

Well, that's the whole point, I don't record record and play 'live' using the same unit (Korg D16). When I do this I use head phones. I think that you are simply confirming what I had been reluctant to give up hope on-that is, that I cannot do this. I was jsut hoping that I could do this all without the headphones so it is more of a live and natural feel. Thanks for getting back to me.

• Members

I just did this very thing on Sat night at a gig and it was easy but the results weren't what I exepected.

I run our backing tracks from a laptop into the mixer and then I had a second laptop taking the audio out and just using windows 'sound recorder' to capture a .WMA file. I then had an old DV camera filming the gig and my plan was to replace the audio from the camera with the audio out of the mixer and just use some crowd noise from the camera to give it the live feel.

Listening to the audio straight out of the mixer its not what I want because the vocals have a very wet reverb straight from the deck. They sounded great live but from the deck its way over the top. Interestingly I think my crappy old Panasonic DV camera thats like 10yrs old did a pretty good job at capturing the audio...

Not to threadjack but pls have a listen and see if you think the audio is okay - I thought it would be sh*t but it's not too bad - my point is depending on what you want it for you may be able to get away with the very 'live' sound of a camera. If not just get the mix straight from your mixer pre vocal fx -

• Members

I'm not 100% sure what you mean by a live board. Here's what I do: I have my recorded tracks on the korg with all the scenes set up start to finish. This is all playing in a pre bounce record setup. The korg goes straight to my mackie mixer, by way of my master outs, to the inputs of tracks 15 & 16 on the mackie.

• Members

Hey there,

I would love to be able to play along with backing tracks that I've previously recorded and record at the same time. However, I've always gotten a feedback loop that I've never figured out. Can someone help me figure this out? I have a Korg D16 going into a mackie 1604 vlz pro. Thanks for any advice.

Rob

Maybe consider a computer multi channel interface most come with a basic user friendly DAW program then you can achieve the task of backing tracks and recording at the same time. You already got a computer since you use it to post here. Maybe you watched six20aus use his in a live application. Just food for thought.

Archived