amp

pyper

• Members

I'm getting my first synth soon. I've decided on a Moog Subsequent 37.

I need some form of amplification so I can hear it.

I don't intend on playing gigs with it.

Part of the reason for going with the Moog is because of the bass, so I want something with a good low end.

Not sure if I should get an amp or powered speakers or what.

• Members

I'd Probably go with a 15" powered speaker given your description. JBL, Behringer and a number of others make them. I wouldn't propose to argue which is best because in the modern world you can get some pretty good sound at a fairly low price. A floor monitor style might be right for you.

• Members

Ditto, I would go with a 12 or 15 inch powered speaker. A Mackie Thump would probably sound very good. You just need something with power and a full range speaker with a good bass response. You might also want to put a small mixer or Di between the two. A small mixer would allow you to add anything else you decide to add to the sound and take your unbalanced 1/4' output from the moog to xlr on the speaker. It would also give you more control over gain, eq and post effects like reverb or compression. Something like a yamaha MG06X.

• Members

Cool. I see I can get a Mackie TH15 used for about us$200.

I already have an 8 channel mixer with built in reverb and aux sends and also a Klark-Teknik DN410 parametric EQ. Oh, and a compressor.

Archived