Folded Horn Subwoofers?

• Members

Conversations with Bill Woods and Todd Michaels at Yorkville Sound, assure me that they are not Folded Horns.

If they were Folded Horns the guy who designed them would have not described them in these terms.
"Think of it as a bass reflex sub with a very long tappered port and a very large mouth."

Ahh...Axis didn't say they were folded horns, he said they are horns...

Just in the interest of clarity :)

and since no one has your exclusivity ;)

T

• Members

The CV is a folded horn IMHO. I have the LR36 and have replaced a driver in it. You can easily see the fold and how the sound is directed from the speaker through the horn.

It is a horn that is folded into a box ..... ie folded horn?

The CV Earthquake series which encompasses all of the 36x36x24 variants is a Folded Horn, which is commonly called an e-horn.

The JR Earthquake series 36x24x24 is not a folded horn. I have four of them in the garage.

• Members

Ahh...Axis didn't say they were folded horns, he said they are horns...

Just in the interest of clarity
:)

and since no one has your exclusivity
;)

T

:lol:

In the interest of clarity, I never said that they were not horn loaded. I said they were not Folded Horns.

My quotation from Yorkville Sound said this....The "basspipe" is a multiple flare horn, connected to an organ like pipe, slowly flaring to the mouth.

For the record, my exclusivity with Yorkville Sound started with Technician called Pete Traynor, decades ago at the original L&M in Toronto, when he fixed a guitar amp for me.

• Members
:lol:

In the interest of clarity, I never said that they were not horn loaded. I said they were not Folded Horns.

My quotation from Yorkville Sound said this....The "basspipe" is a
multiple flare horn
, connected to an organ like pipe, slowly flaring to the mouth.

For the record, my exclusivity with Yorkville Sound started with Technician called Pete Traynor, decades ago at the original L&M in Toronto, when he fixed a guitar amp for me.

is it a "scoop-like" design where the port is horn loaded?

• Members

The CV Earthquake series which encompasses all of the 36x36x24 variants is a Folded Horn, which is commonly called an e-horn.

The JR Earthquake series 36x24x24 is not a folded horn. I have four of them in the garage.

They certainly look like the subs I own from the front. I couldn't attest to how they are built inside without dissecting one so I will have to go with your opinion on this one.

I can say that the CV Earthquake series with a decent amp (I use the Crown K2 for mine) can really thump out loud. When I auditioned these before purchasing subs, the only thing that put out as much bottom was the 2x18 JBL SRX; however, while I was willing to pay the money at the time (divorced engineer with no kids), I was not willing to move them. Two of the SRX's would have required another amp as well .... further making my moving drill more difficult. The SRX's were more defined and in-your-face than the folded horns, but they were just way to heavy and big .... especially for a pair of them. They were also much more expensive.

Archived