What kind of pickups are you using in your Tele?

Phil O'Keefe

• Members
Is anyone running a Jazzmaster pickup in the neck position? I always thought that might work really well with a stock style Tele bridge pickup' date=' but I've never tried it...[/quote']

check this out...

[video=youtube_share;P_XWoyvDJzE]

• Members

I currently have Fender Tex-Mex in my Nashville Tele. Nice Tele twang and cut with the those.

I had a Telecaster with Seymour Duncan Alnico Pro II (APTR1 & 2) that I liked very much. They were the only Tele pickup set I've tried where the neck pickup was well-balanced to the bridge and not murky sounding, I will use them again on a future build.

I tried some noiseless GFS Neovin pickups a while back and while OK, they were just lacking in that "shimmer" you expect out of a Telecaster bridge pickup.

Stock MIJs that it came with. Sounds awesome even though it shouldn’t. I did replace all the wiring with US made components.

I think I still have a set of mid-80s MIJ Tele pickups sitting around somewhere - I might just have to try them in my current Tele and see what I think. The original '62 RI that they came out of had a basswood body that sounded like a wet sponge, and I thought the bad sound was the fault of the pickups - maybe they were just fine? :idk: OTOH, the pickups and electronics are a known weak link on a lot of MIJ guitars, although certainly not all of them - some MIJ guitars had USA pickups installed stock, and even some MIJ pickups have surprised me by how good they sounded.

• Members

Fralin Blues Specials. Very versatile for all styles of music. By that I mean not all twangy and and snappy greasy country sounding. Clear bright and articulate and just enough output to feed into any amp or pedal. I honestly sometimes wonder why I have so many guitars when all I need is my mahogany telecaster and these pickups to do everything.

• Members

I have a pile of teles, and have sold a few more.

My tastes have settled on something 50s/Broadcaster/Nocaster-ish in the bridge (SD, Fender, and a lot of boutique companies do this well)

I like something that's almost a great strat pickup in the neck. On a budget, the guitarfetish fatboy is great - it's much like the Rio Muy Grande (which is also great, in the neck - I find it too much, and too smeary in the bridge). My personal favorite is a Charlie Christian pickup in the neck. It's big and thick, and chewy, but stays clean and well-defined. Available from Pete Biltoft, or Lollar (and probably others)

I also highly recommend the 4-way switch, which adds the 2 pickups in series (so it becomes a humbucker)... it works as a slight boost circuit.

I have played with noiseless pickups, and always found them to lack the growl... there's something in the low mids that's not quite right. So I live with the noise. It's just part of the game.

• Members

I had Crossroads Guitar Shop (Falls Church, VA) build me a Telecaster.

It's a Brent Mason styled Telecaster & it's pretty damn cool:

Seymour Duncan STK-T3B Bridge Pickup. (Vintage Hum-canceling Pickup)

Seymour Duncan STK-S2 Middle Pickup (High output single-coil sized Vintage Stack)

Seymour Duncan SM-1 Neck Pickup (Classic Firebird Pickup)

This Tele also has a "blend" knob that allows me to add the middle Strat Pickup.

I own 9 guitars & I am a working musician in the Baltimore-Washington D.C. metro area.

My Crossroads Guitar Shop Brent Mason Tele is conservatively the most versatile guitar I own.

Good enough for Brent Mason, good enough for Bernardo Gui !

I had Crossroads Guitar Shop (Falls Church, VA) build me a Telecaster.

It's a Brent Mason styled Telecaster & it's pretty damn cool:

Seymour Duncan STK-T3B Bridge Pickup. (Vintage Hum-canceling Pickup)

Seymour Duncan STK-S2 Middle Pickup (High output single-coil sized Vintage Stack)

Seymour Duncan SM-1 Neck Pickup (Classic Firebird Pickup)

This Tele also has a "blend" knob that allows me to add the middle Strat Pickup.

I own 9 guitars & I am a working musician in the Baltimore-Washington D.C. metro area.

My Crossroads Guitar Shop Brent Mason Tele is conservatively the most versatile guitar I own.

Good enough for Brent Mason, good enough for Bernardo Gui !

Sounds awesome - got any pictures of it?

Archived