Sonar Platinum is acting very very weird.....

• Members

I updated the last Platinum upgrade once the news came down about the end of Cakewalk.

I've been away from recording and using Sonar for a couple of months due to work schedule. I come back to it tonight to start tinkering, laying some stuff down and:

1. I try to freeze a single VST track and Sonar starts rolling through ALL the VST tracks, freezing them one after the other. ????

2. Get this one....I started a new project, loaded up three VSTs, and started recording parts. Ok, one of the VSTs wouldn't respond to the recorded MIDI. Ok, so I do the usual thing to get Sonar to find it's marbles...closed it out and restarted the program. When it came back the VSTs were responding to MIDI notes FROM THE WRONG TRACKS!! Abysnth started playing the MODO Bass part ??!!!? Addictive Drums wouldn't sound at all....the original Absynth part wouldn't sound at all....

3. So I created separate MIDI tracks for each VST, and routed them back to the VST track. Ok, that seems to work.

But I still can't freeze just one track...and nothing will freeze at all if I try to freeze it from the synth rack view.

This is really, really weird......am I all alone with these problems?? Have I wandered into Sonar's version of "LOST" weird things just start happening???

;

Did someone hack the Sonar servers???

nat

• Members
Bite the bullet' date=' and download Cakewalk by BandLab (but leave Platinum installed so you don't lose the extra goodies). There have been a lot of bug fixes since November, and it's running really smoothly on my machine.[/quote']

So do you jump between the two programs? Or does the BL version sort of update Platinum???

I think what happened was...I unplugged a USB keyboard while a Sonar project was open so I could free up a USB port for a dongle...Sonar did the auto-reassign thing that it can do when it loses track of an input device. But the auto-reassign thing seemed to totally scramble the MIDI channel assignments between the various VSTs I was running. Got corrupted...maybe there's a bit of an electric spark pulling out the USB cable?

Anyway, I exported all the raw midi and started an entirely new Sonar project, resetting up all the VSTs again and importing the MIDI tracks. Seems to be back to sanity for now...

nat

• Members

There's no need to use Sonar after installing CbB. Think of it as the December, January, February, March, and April updates that never happened. However it IS important to keep Sonar installed because the third-party stuff that's no longer included (e.g., Blue Tubes) remains keyed to Sonar.

Hmmm....not much 3rd party I use as I ponied up for Melodyne and Addictive Drums upgrades (at least I hope they are not still tied somehow to CW....)

I would hate to lose access to the ProChannel virtual rack items like the compressor, the EQ, and the channel emulator thingie.....but I do have alternates for those duties from UA and Waves.

Sounds like a slow summer day project of downloads and installs in my future....oh for a room full of gear that you just plug in and go. (Unless it breaks...)

nat

Archived