LIve: Multi Effects Pedal or Modeling Amp

• Members

Hello all,

I am not very experienced playing live. I am primarily a bass player, however I am currently playing guitar in a side project that has a gig coming up. i am unsure wither using my Digitech GNX4 multi effects pedal, or my Vox VT-50 Modeling amp would be better for this. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks, Zach :)

• Members

Need more details.

You're planning on going straight to the board from your pedal, or are you placing the pedal before an amp? If the latter, is the amp mic'd and run through the PA?

If you're going straight to the board with your pedal, use the Vox. If you're particularly attached to any of the digitech effects (...shudder...) then place that before the Vox and run both. Make sure that you ask for guitar in your monitor, or you won't be able to hear yourself.

• Members

The Vox VT50, that is an amp right? A valvetronix modelling amp. Got a friend whos got one and i personally used to have the head version. Decent amp. It has a line out, so the best way to get a sound to the board is to send a line out (from memory though, that shuts off the internal speaker).

The digitech is a modelling pedal, so that going direct to the board will also do the job.

Sound guys will generally prefer the modelling/no amps on stage option, although, the better the sound you put out, the better the sound. If you do go with the amp, keep the stage volume as low as possible.

In terms of actual tips on which one's sound will be better, you should try a guitar forum. Although i suspect the vox would be a clear winner.

Archived