Solo Instrumentalists

senorblues

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

step out of that comfort zone and become more!!! or at least have some fun... the last art show i worked i took three cymbals and a couple different bows... a german double bass bow and a violin bow... it spawned two shows at the city art co-op for festivals they were putting on and regular calls from the local art galleries for similar performances... imagination... not only on your instrument but in lining up potential gigs for out of the ordinary experiences...

lol... songs... what a silly notion..

• Members

I did . . . and I'm glad. Turns out the regular guy had shoulder surgery and is out of commission for three months. Of course the venue waited until the week before to ask me to come back. ( I know they've had other piano players before.)

Two-a-day practice sessions all week to work up some old songs. (Nice to be retired from my day job.)

• Members

I played a wine bar, instrumentals only, and I was really nothing more than a PA with a heartbeat. If I had been out of sight of the patrons they would not have known any difference. But, oddly enough I prefer the off-stage gig, not being a lime lighter. BTW, Elton John's songs translate well to instrumentals. I have a half dozen I've transcribed to guitar that are immediately recognizable and easy to render as such. Actually, much of the early 70s pop music translates well. I have about 40 instrumentals of which two thirds were originally songs. One is in rotation now in the HC acoustic forum's monthly VOM1T thread. Have fun with that gig. The less you have to do the better.

• Members

We call them 'sonic wallpaper' gigs, and although I wouldn't want a steady diet of them, I enjoy playing them every once in a while. It gives me a chance to express my gentle side.

I have a few 20 minute or so medleys in either bossa or light swing beats that work fine for them. I also use the medleys for dinner sets when people would rather talk than actively listen.

Archived