Beta 52 placement for 26" kick with port.

• Members

What is your preference with bigger kick drums:

Partially inside the reso head, all the way in the drum on a stand or resting on a pillow in the drum?

I usually have the mic about halfway in the port, but am thinking it may get more punch all the way in.

What say you?

Thanks!

• Members

What is your preference with bigger kick drums:

Partially inside the reso head, all the way in the drum on a stand or resting on a pillow in the drum?

I usually have the mic about halfway in the port, but am thinking it may get more punch all the way in.

What say you?

Thanks!

Depends on what your definition of "punch" is. Are you looking for deep lows? More "snap" or "click"? Both?

I'd experiment with a bunch of placements, for the mic you already have. It really doesn't matter what the "other guy" does. It's what works best for you that counts.

• Members

Well, the sound of the 26" is pretty boomy by nature. I want that "bigness" to translate, but still want definition and beater impact.

I run sound from stage, and we rarely have a lot of time to soundcheck and experiment.

Just checking to see what placement the pro's prefer.

Thanks,

CC

• Members

i find with the beta 52 that the drum itself has the single greatest effect on the overall sound.the 52 does add a little color to the drum but not a lot so if the drum aint snappy the mic isnt going to make it so no matter where you put it.

i get the best results with the beta 52 by putting in the hole a little bit. the whoosh of air sounds cool in the subs and it has enough snap on most kicks to work well. i cut a normal frankenstand (3 different $30 junky boom stands from the bad pile) down to 25% size and use this as a kick stand. i did have to put a weight on the end to counteract the beta 52. i do really like the beta 52 and own one but it is not my favorite kick drum mic; that is reserved for the atm25 which i lost a number of years back and have not found another.

on a side note, there is a great band in town that i have had trouble with the drums - a lot of trouble with the drums. dont get me wrong, the drummer is an excellent drummer and a great guy too, i just couldnt get his kit to sound right at all. i tried different mics, different eq, you name it i tried it over the course of a few months. nothing helped and i started to think the drums just didnt sound good. then the last time i ran them they showed up and the drummer hobbled in on a broken leg - with the same drums and a substitute drummer. the drums sounded totally different, and i was able to dial them in with ease even though they were the same drums.

something about the way he is playing the drums is giving me grief on the other side of the mixer. just something to think about - the mics dont always play such a critical role as marketing dictates. its good to have good mics, but so much more if affected by other factors.

• Members

I generally mic all kits with the mic sticking a little ways into the port.

I am also a drummer, I keep a little blanket inside the bottom of my kick drum. I always lay the 52 right on top of that blanket inside my drum and get great results when i'm playing a show. Usually ends up laying about half way into the drum.

Also never have any trouble with low end feedback doing this.

• Members

i do really like the beta 52 and own one but it is not my favorite kick drum mic; that is reserved for the atm25 which i lost a number of years back and have not found another.

ATM25s pop up somewhat regularly on ebay. meaning about once a month. Unfortunately they don't go for 100 bucks anymore due to them being talked up so much around the net. I'd love to have a few more ATM23s and a 25 for floor tom.

actually there is one on there right now

• Members

I generally mic all kits with the mic sticking a little ways into the port.

I am also a drummer, I keep a little blanket inside the bottom of my kick drum. I always lay the 52 right on top of that blanket inside my drum and get great results when i'm playing a show. Usually ends up laying about half way into the drum.

Also never have any trouble with low end feedback doing this.

sorry,,im confused,,do u port mic position the 52 ,or do u always lay it inside?

• Members

I put the mic through the port and lay it inside on top of the blanket. I dont think this method would work well without the blanket in there though.

Edit: Also saves my resonant head! I can't remember how many times a guitarist has kicked/ran into a kick mic stand and cut my front drum head.

By eliminating the stand I havent had to replace a head on the front of my kick drum since. And yes i did have an extra protection ring on my port all the time and still had them torn due to reckless stage antics!

• Members

I put the mic through the port and lay it inside on top of the blanket. I dont think this method would work well without the blanket in there though.

Edit: Also saves my resonant head! I can't remember how many times a guitarist has kicked/ran into a kick mic stand and cut my front drum head.

By eliminating the stand I havent had to replace a head on the front of my kick drum since. And yes i did have an extra protection ring on my port all the time and still had them torn due to reckless stage antics!

sure,,who doesnt want to make thier mics as comfortable as possible,,i carry special small pillows too :)

sounds like a good stageshow,,,any vids? ;)

Archived