Best X-Over Frequency for RCF ART 312-A mains?

• Members

Lots of guys w/312-A mains it seems. What crossover frequency do you use most often (or maybe exclusively) & what type music/venues do you deal with most of the time?

If you use a powered sub & the crossover frequency is fixed, do you like it as it is, or do you wish it would be lower/higher?

Much depends on application, I'm sure, but still, what's optimum for you?

• Members

As ts said. 100 is always a good starting point but use your ears. The subs also matter in this equation.

...understand everything is dependent upon everything else to one degree or another...

...will be picking up the RCF 312s & although I may still go passive, I'm strongly considering a powered sub to go with them (will only need one for my modest volume application, solo singing thing to big band, swing, crooner backing tracks)...

...the two front-running powered boxes are the RCF SUB 705AS & the JBL PRX 618S-XLF...the RCF has a selectable x-over @ 80 or 120Hz while the JBL's is fixed @ 90Hz...guessing I'll have relatively much less low end source material & trying to figure out if a lower or higher x-over is better with the 312s...

• Members

Maybe they changed it, but my RCF 705's have 80, 100, or 120 settings. I prefer those subs at 80 Hz crossover as they are a band pass design, which is more about output than smooth response. As such, they seem peaky around 100 Hz on their own. Setting the crossover to 80 Hz tames that a bit. I then start my tops around 90 Hz.

• Members

Doesn't matter much at all. The main difference is the power-bandwidth ratio which isn't going to be an issue.

...O.K., don't understand the power/bandwidth ratio thing :idk: , but the gist is that the difference between these cited x-over freqs is relatively inconsequential...

• Members

Maybe they changed it, but my RCF 705's have 80, 100, or 120 settings. I prefer those subs at 80 Hz crossover as they are a band pass design, which is more about output than smooth response. As such, they seem peaky around 100 Hz on their own. Setting the crossover to 80 Hz tames that a bit. I then start my tops around 90 Hz.

...on the new SUB705AS the 100Hz option has been eliminated, at least according to the specs which show only 80 & 120...but they don't ship for another 2-3 weeks so not completely sure & I haven't phoned RCF to ask at this point...

• Members

...on the new SUB705AS the 100Hz option has been eliminated, at least according to the specs which show only 80 & 120...but they don't ship for another 2-3 weeks so not completely sure & I haven't phoned RCF to ask at this point...

Yep, looks that way to me too. On the plus side - I really don't notice a difference between 100 and 80 ( I did notice between 80 and 120). With the use of neo magnets, you also have a sub thats 25 lbs lighter than mine. If you haven't already, spring for the covers for both your tops and subs. You'll be glad you did later.

• Members

Yep, looks that way to me too. On the plus side - I really don't notice a difference between 100 and 80 ( I did notice between 80 and 120). With the use of neo magnets, you also have a sub thats 25 lbs lighter than mine. If you haven't already, spring for the covers for both your tops and subs. You'll be glad you did later.

...agreed that covers are always good...the branded RCF covers look very nice, but not cheap (for covers I mean, although no commercial covers seem to be)...good thing is I could get 15% off of them @ RMC, too, if I bought w/the speakers...other way would be to buy material myself & find a seamstress to put them together, although they probably wouldn't be padded & they wouldn't be as snug a fit...their primary function would be to keep the speakers from collecting dust...but after locating/pricing material & finding the seamstress, might be nearly the same price...have to check a bit...

• Members

If you're travelling with them, get the ones made for the speakers. If you don't your speakers will be scratched up within a month, guaranteed. The sub cover never needs to be removed. For the tops, I take them out of the covers when used as mains because they looks stupid with them on and are harder to stand mount. When used as monitors I leave the covers on so the aren't scratched by the floor.

Archived