How about a little Pacifica love?

Phil O'Keefe

Is this Jeff Beck, playing a Yamaha? IDK.

[ATTACH=JSON]{"alt":"Click image for larger version Name:\ts-l1600.jpg Views:\t1 Size:\t681.9 KB ID:\t32226950","data-align":"none","data-attachmentid":"32226950","data-size":"full","title":"s-l1600.jpg"}[/ATTACH]

My guess? He got up on stage to jam with Carlos, and was just borrowing one of his guitars for that. If you look closely it has the same neck inlays as the ones on the guitar Carlos is playing in one of the other pics, and it looks to me like the truss rod cover says "Carlos Santana" on it too...

• Members
I can't join the Pacifica love cuz I've never owned or even played one.

But over the years I've accumulated:

[ATTACH=JSON]{"alt":"Click image for larger version Name:\tfetch?id=31591020.jpg Views:\t1 Size:\t209.6 KB ID:\t32226364","data-align":"none","data-attachmentid":"32226364","data-size":"full","title":"fetch?id=31591020.jpg"}[/ATTACH]

[img2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/www.guitarthai.com\/picpost\/gtpicpost\/Q361870.jpg"}[/img2]

[ATTACH=JSON]{"alt":"Click image for larger version Name:\tg8u9puuortzmrldldbty.jpg Views:\t1 Size:\t74.4 KB ID:\t32226365","data-align":"none","data-attachmentid":"32226365","data-size":"full","title":"g8u9puuortzmrldldbty.jpg"}[/ATTACH]

And more recently a

[ATTACH=JSON]{"alt":"Click image for larger version Name:\tsk6d5x13icsmuedgdd6g.jpg Views:\t1 Size:\t184.2 KB ID:\t32226366","data-align":"none","data-attachmentid":"32226366","data-size":"full","title":"sk6d5x13icsmuedgdd6g.jpg"}[/ATTACH]

So one could say, I'm a bit of a fan, but actually, aside from the Revstar, it took me a little while to warm up to the other 3. The SBG700S was a poor mans SG2000, but I got happier with it after I swapped in some Gibson 496/500 p'ups. Those turned out to be a good compliment after my first attempt to upgrade with Duncan '59/PG failed to be good tonal matches.

The RGX A2 probably took me the longest to "get into" but I discovered it to be quite comfy and a nice sounding guitar with moderate OD, just not a guitar one would grab for cleans, but with some OD, it comes alive.

The Troy Van Van Leeuwen SA503 also comes alive with a little OD, and it kicks the ass of my Epi Riviera P93. I brought the TVL to my first ever paying gig because I decided I could cover more bases with that one guitar than anything else I could think of in my arsenal.

The Revstar pleased me out of the box.

I can't remember where the first two were made, but I have the say, the last 2 came from Indonesia and I learned there's some quality manufacturing coming out of that country. Same holds true with the Supro I bought last year. But I was glad that I was able to pick up the TVL for about 5 bills.

But although this might be a bit OT, I thought I'd share my Yamaha stable mates. When I get home tonight, I'll be sure to paw my Revstar.

:0

P.S. the first pic is my guitar, the other 3 are images I had to grab from the web since the Armageddon of photobucket hosted images. :angry47:

That, pretty cool

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","title":"fetch?id=32226366&d=1525990185.jpg","data-attachmentid":32230584}[/ATTACH]

I can't join the Pacifica love cuz I've never owned or even played one.

But over the years I've accumulated:

[ATTACH=JSON]{"alt":"Click image for larger version Name:\tfetch?id=31591020.jpg Views:\t1 Size:\t209.6 KB ID:\t32226364","data-align":"none","data-attachmentid":"32226364","data-size":"full","title":"fetch?id=31591020.jpg"}[/ATTACH]

P.S. the first pic is my guitar, the other 3 are images I had to grab from the web since the Armageddon of photobucket hosted images. :angry47:

I really like the classic look of that one - is it black, or a really dark green? It's kind of hard to tell for certain. :idk:

• Members

Very cool! How well does it stay in tune? With the Floyd style bridge and locking nut, is the tuning stability solid?

tuning is good and the neck access is great. Came with Dimarzio pickups which are great too.

• Members

Thank you! Even my wife gets off on that one, which is saying something since I'm a gear whore to the point where one would be more likely get hit with the iron frying pan than get praise for "one more".

It also plays well and sounds good too. It has a push/pull that cuts out some of the bass to make it sound a bit more like single coil tone, but to me it just makes it sound a bit more Grestch-y. I thought that cut switch might possibly be a bit gimmicky, but once I got the guitar I found that I like the cut sound possibly more than the full open tone. Their concept is to get you more of that single-coil-ish tone while still being "hum-bucking" and it works. \m/

• Members

Thanks. It's a green-burst, i.e green fading to near black. I have some better photos of it taken outside, but those pics are locked up in catacombs of photobucket. I got that off of a blowout sale, somewhere around the very early 2000s for a mere $350 + tax new. and that was back in the day when they were still MIJ. It's a solid guitar with, as one luthier called it, a "proper volute". However, the sound was always a bit bland, so I first upgraded the p'ups to a Duncan '59/PG. The '59 sounded muddy in the neck and too thin split and the PG sounded too ice-picky in either mode, but my second attempt was a set of Gibson 496/500, because I had a GOW Mahogany Pro Explorers where those p'ups truly sound "sweet", and sure enough, they seemed to be voiced rather well for this guitar. That's probably about when I started saying my success rate with p'up upgrades is about 50/50 ;^).

Archived