Ordered a new mini pedal

WRGKMC

• Members

Found this Mod Station Modulation Ensemble interesting enough to buy yesterday. I like the fact its got 11 different modulation effects in a single pedal. everything from Univibe, to chorus, phase, flanger and optical tremolo. I wanted something small for my small pedal board and this should eliminate the need for several pedals plus is a mini. The Aroma brand isn't bad either. I bought a pair of their speaker emulators and they work excellent. I realize with so many effects in a single unit I risk they may either sound similar or mediocre, but if they do sound decent It will go a long way condensing things down.

Digital pedals have miniaturized chips that don't need the same space analog pedals do and unless the analog pedal is well built with high quality parts you don't gain much using analog over digital besides high noise levels. A good digital design can be small, inexpensive and highly transparent sounding.

the xvive sweet leo was 20 bucks on amazon, went up $10 and is still a steal

[ATTACH=JSON]{"alt":"Click image for larger version Name:\t7MZSa3v.jpg Views:\t1 Size:\t195.9 KB ID:\t32198672","data-align":"none","data-attachmentid":"32198672","data-size":"full","title":"7MZSa3v.jpg"}[/ATTACH]

I just listened to a couple of clips - it does sound pretty good for a $30 pedal.

How do you like that Keeley Mod Workstation?

• Members
I just listened to a couple of clips - it does sound pretty good for a $30 pedal.

How do you like that Keeley Mod Workstation?

the sweet leo take pedals well enough i ordered a second one, though the timmy is and remains my favorite foundation pedal.

quoting my answer from a forum that shall not be named :lol:

the keeley supermod's "individual effects aren't as versatile as stand alone units like the ehx canyon, neunaber immerse, or digitech ventura vibe, or in the same league as a boss md500 or strymon mobius. [&] i was disappointed i couldn't run the chorus & flanger into the reverb but other than that i've been very happy with mine. it's tiny, sounds great at what it does, covers a lot, and it's limitations can let you concentrate on making music.

• Members

This is truly the time of the Clone Wars and they have the Rise of the Phantom Menace down to a science now all fighting for a share of the market. The net is loaded with very inexpensive pedals coming out of China. Many are using very decent circuits and components too.

The trend seems to be, they release a set of them on auction sites like EBay and Alibaba selling them for whatever someone will pay for them. Then when the pedals begin to gain traction through word of mouth and people talking about them on forums, then they raise the prices up $10,20,30 over a period of time. When one set goes up in price another nearly identical set of clones gets dumped on EBay the lower cost and the process starts all over again.

Its a great time to try out pedals you've never thought of trying before. If you wind up liking the cloned versions then you can simply upgrade to a high end version. That is if you can actually find a higher end version. The thing is most pedals today are clones themselves consisting of modified versions of much older circuits. What we see is the price tag and marketing advertisements setting them apart, not the actual sound quality.

If you wind up getting something you don't find usable (and know a quality improvement isn't going to make it any more usable) you can simply sell it off and get your money back or hold on to it till the prices go up and even turn a profit.

One other thing I'm predicting is the current tariffs on China are likely to raise the costs on all kinds of musical gear. I can easily see most pedals doubling and tripling in price in the coming year or two. Its a buyers market right now that isn't likely to last so its a good time to stock up. Its highly doubtful you'll be seeing guitar pedals sold for $20 very long. That's far cheaper then what we paid for 50 years ago. A guitar pedal costing $60 during the 70's should be costing $240 today when you compare inflation to everything else yet we're paying $20 today?

• Members

Well I got it in and tried it out. I'd say the audio quality is about mediocre on many of the setting. I don't think the Chorus quality will replace my Marshall pedal. The two settings I did like were the optical tremolo and Univibe. There's one Flanger setting which seems to have a problem. It erratically has a tubular LFO sound whether you have a signal going in or not and I cant. I suspect there's some loose component or improper value on a resistor. I'm doubtful if a unit this small will have trim pots for the flanger to adjust the feedback level.

I'll likely open it up and look for a bad solder job and/or possibly modify whatever resistors used to change its usable range. Flanger can sound great when proper mixed. an effect that's set for nearly 100% and masks your playing skills is flat out annoying.

If the unit cost more I'd be worried about sending it back. 10 out of 11 settings are usable and it may simply be designed to be annoyingly deep so I'll assume its a design flaw and not a build flaw until I discover otherwise.

Archived