FOH setup options opinions

• Members

I have recently purchased 2 powered tops (DSR112's). My current rig (before the tops) consisted of 2 Klipsch KP301 (3 way, 15" passive, 82lbs, big), 2 Cerwin Vega LR36 (Folded horn, 18") processed by a DRPA into a QSC PLX3002 and a Crown K2 amp.

For those adding up the weight and size, it isn't exactly something you look forward to carrying down the stairs at 3:00am.

My drummer has a pair of Cerwin Vega CVA-118's (700W RMS, 131db SPL) and a pair of CVA-28's (400W 3 way 128db SPL).

I was wondering about what you guys thought about the different options for putting a FOH system together with what I currently have.

The most simple system would be DSR's over CVA's using the HPF on the DSRs.

Up the complexity chain would be using the DRPA to send signals to all speakers and have all speakers running in full range mode.

The final setup would be to use the DRPA with the DSR's over the Cerwin Vega LR36 horns creating a hybrid powered/passive top/sub combination.

Opinions?

• Members

How much level and cover are you looking for? How big a crowd and what style of music are you doing? Why would you even consider running anything "full range" when you have a DRPA? The PEQ is worth having in your signal chain even if you could run with out it.

I would expect your new DSRs to sound better than either of your other tops, but I'm not a fan of any CVs or many of the Klipschs I've heard. Could have been the operators though. Set up your new tops with both subs and play around with seeing which ones you think sound better with the new tops. If you're trying to cover more than about 200 people, I guess you could run more tops and subs together for a louder but probably not better sound. Be careful though, you don't want to turn into this guy....

• Members

Up the complexity chain would be using the DRPA to send signals to all speakers and have all speakers running in full range mode.

IMO, this is a bad idea. I think it will be sorta easy to go from your mixer to the DRPA, which will also act as your crossover. For the new DSR's, you just run a line from the DRPA for the mid/high cabs. For subs, I can't say which is better, but for weight, I'd choose to try the CV118's only first, and see if they hit hard enough for you. Take your sub out from the DRPA, to the amp you're using for subs now. Really, a pretty simple thing

• Members

Be careful though, you don't want to turn into this guy....

LMFAO!!! I was having good time looking at the "rig" and then I saw the lighting truss! That may be the funniest damn pic I've ever seen! I'll tell you one thing, what that guy lacks in gear he makes up for in motivation. The more I look at the pic the more crazy stuff I see. All time classic!!!

• Members

LMFAO!!! I was having good time looking at the "rig" and then I saw the lighting truss! That may be the funniest damn pic I've ever seen! I'll tell you one thing, what that guy lacks in gear he makes up for in motivation. The more I look at the pic the more crazy stuff I see. All time classic!!!

He appears to be a real "Git er dunn" provider alright..... One good gust of wind though and that party's coming to a quick end. Can't say for sure, but it looks like the front of the roof/lighting structure is only held up by gravity. I don't see any wires or tie downs.

For the OP, If you need more output than the two new tops alone can provide than it would be a good excuse to try a dual PA set up with say vocals and drums in one set of mains and instruments in the other.

Winston

• Members

IMO, this is a bad idea. I think it will be sorta easy to go from your mixer to the DRPA, which will also act as your crossover. For the new DSR's, you just run a line from the DRPA for the mid/high cabs. For subs, I can't say which is better, but for weight, I'd choose to try the CV118's only first, and see if they hit hard enough for you. Take your sub out from the DRPA, to the amp you're using for subs now. Really, a pretty simple thing

I was suggesting exactly that. Mixboard->DRPA->x4 speakers. To switch to the passive subs, I just move the x2 speaker lines to the Crown K2 amp.

The DRPA would have to give better sound for me to want to use it. Otherwise, I would have a simple setup Mixboard->Sub->Top

• Members

That pic immediately became wallpaper on my computer display.

• Members

For the OP, If you need more output than the two new tops alone can provide than it would be a good excuse to try a dual PA set up with say vocals and drums in one set of mains and instruments in the other.

The DSRs are pretty loud. More than that and I am thinking I will be renting something ;) I am more concerned about the bottom getting thin before the tops. I'll be using the DSRs at practice tomorrow, so I'll report how they sound with a full band ;)

I didn't originally notice the lighting scafolding ;) I was blinded by the speaker setup.

• Members

Is it my imagination or are those Kustom bass cabs thathe is using for monitors? And was wondering who stole my ladders I had lying out behind my house. LMAO!

• Members

Is it my imagination or are those Kustom bass cabs thathe is using for monitors? And was wondering who stole my ladders I had lying out behind my house. LMAO!

Looks to me like they are old Kustom column speakers from the 1970's way back machine.

• Members

That pic is truly the best! I have a pic of a hodge-podge PA that I will have to post thats on my other PC.

OneEng, congrats on the new tops! I know you've looked long and hard. Im going to have to really give the new DSRs a hard listen. Im in the "wanting some real nice tops camp" right now but they will have to wait a bit as I also need some new subs.

Just kinda thinking out loud here, what about selling the tops, subs and amps and buy a single or set of the new DSR subs? (or something similar like JBLs PRX-XLF, or QSCs KW181)

Archived