Sound System Setup - Snoop Dogg Show

• Members

Woah!

Thanks for sharing!

The side fill is bigger than my FOH! The monitor board is 10x better than my board. I am such an amature.......

On the flown speakers, what are the two boxes at the top, and what are they for? I see subs on the floor and top boxes, are those mid boxes??? Please excuse my ignorance.......

I love looking at that {censored}e!

Nice lighting, too. Cheers!

• Members

Is there really a need for a drum monitor that big.....really?

That alone is bigger then what I bring into a club for a show every weekend!

I'm sure they're set up for a pretty big Vertec hang, and these pack/rack right with everything else.

• Members

On the flown speakers, what are the two boxes at the top, and what are they for? I see subs on the floor and top boxes, are those mid boxes??? Please excuse my ignorance.......

Flown are JBL Vertec 4888's above 4886's. I'm going to guess that the top cabs you see not flown are part of the house system.

-Dan.

• Members

My Brothers,

Last weekend, Premier Sound Services provided sound for us for an outdoor gig at Cabella's outdoor store. We play New Orleans R & B. Last night they did the Snoop Dogg show. Talk about versatile and being able to be really flexible. They also provide additional sound reinforcement for the LSU Tiger football half time shows when a guest artist is featured.

• Members

That alone is bigger then what I bring into a club for a show every weekend!

It's called Show Business! I think there is often a big gap between what's needed and what's wanted. Both the drum and sidefills are probably as much for show as for technical need, maybe it just helps the performers feel and perform at a big time level even if much less would actually do the job SPL wise on that size stage. I imangine Snoop gets what he wants no problem. Else where on the stage aren't those all MRX 512s as monitors?

Winston

• Members

It's called Show Business! I think there is often a big gap between what's needed and what's wanted. Both the drum and sidefills are probably as much for show as for technical need, maybe it just helps the performers feel and perform at a big time level even if much less would actually do the job SPL wise on that size stage. I imangine Snoop gets what he wants no problem. Else where on the stage aren't those all MRX 512s as monitors?

Winston

The monitors are SRX712s.

I don't care if it's called show business or blow business, there is no need for a drum monitor rig of that size in that size venue!

• Members

Who knows what their set-up & tear-down time is but I wouldn't want to have to haul all that around.

Have you ever worked a large-ish show? I would rather do a theater show with a big professional rig than a {censored}ty bar with speakers on sticks any day of the week. With a rig like this, racks and cabling are typically configured to allow quick setup and tear-down. Cases are standardized sized designed to fit in a truck without much jostling or finagling. Venues like this typically have better access to loading docks (shallow ramps, not stairs). They also have more room to work and stow empty cases. Power is usually plentiful.

Aside from actually pushing stuff into the truck and lifting/rigging the speakers (which could require some extra bodies hired in just for that purpose), a couple guys could set up this system within an hour.

As far as hauling it around is concerned, that PA would fit in a mid-sized box truck with room to spare. The lighting and genie towers are a bit bulkier and may require a second small-mid sized box truck. Regardless, it's not a lot of stuff.

-Dan.

• Members

Thought the same myself...but hey, if that's what he wants, they are clearly able to handle the budget.

Funny thing is I'd imagine if I was playing a gig at that level/profile, I'd be using IEMs...

• Members

Thought the same myself...but hey, if that's what he wants, they are clearly able to handle the budget.

Funny thing is I'd imagine if I was playing a gig at that level/profile, I'd be using IEMs...

I was recently back-stage at a big show (Nanette Workman/25,000 people) Nobody used IEM's, and the stage sound was amaaaazing. No matter where I stood,,,, either side of stage, etc, the sound was crystal-clear, and superbly balanced. Nanette is all over the stage too.

• Members

Impressive system which I'm sure sounds great. I have a question about flying those arrays that far apart. I understand the logistical need to. But how good is the coverage for the audience up close and in the middle. It would seem the first few rows in the center wouldn't get as good of coverage as those further back. Is the true? Or would they get good sound coming off the stage side fills ? Just wondering why you rarely see center fills facing the audience ? Not needed ?

• Members

Impressive system which I'm sure sounds great. I have a question about flying those arrays that far apart. I understand the logistical need to. But how good is the coverage for the audience up close and in the middle. It would seem the first few rows in the center wouldn't get as good of coverage as those further back. Is the true? Or would they get good sound coming off the stage side fills ? Just wondering why you rarely see center fills facing the audience ? Not needed ?

There's a pair of in-fills plus the front row is pretty far back. Deduct the barricade space and the coverage looks good to me.

Archived