O.T. Driving to Florida

• Members

Guys, it looks like I may be driving to Florida this weekend, and I'm wondering if any of you guys in the northeast have done this. I'd probably be entering the U.S.(from Canada), near Syracuse N.Y.

Any recommendations/ alternative routes etc?

• Members

Im in Orlando. farthest north I've DRIVEN is West Virginia. Its not a bad trip. Pretty straight shot. just dont go thru any major cities during rush hour and you'll be fine. ie Jacksonville, Atlanta.

Where are you traveling to?

and dedmeet. FSU all the way. just sayin.

• Members

Drove from South Dakota to Ft. Lauderdale, 2 days of 14 hour driving... three times.

That's roughly the same time for me from southwestern Quebec, according to MapQuest. I'm headed to Panama City Beach Fla. (if I decide to go) That's approx. 1 hr. southwest of Tallahassee.

I've looked at Google maps and Mapquest, but it seems some of the route suggestions are a little strange. Example; one suggestion had me heading southwest in Canada, to Windsor Ontario. That's across the river from Detroit, and it's probably a 12 hour drive from here. They'd have me doing 12 hours driving BEFORE crossing the U.S. border??? That's Nuts.

• Members

Rt 81 south and catch 95. Takes you all the way down. You'll be surprised how long it takes to get through Pennsylvania....LOL. From Syracuse you're looking at about 23 Hours to Daytona. Not sure exactly where Gainsville is from there.

• Members

I-81 is a much nicer ride than I-95. The Philadelphia/Washington I-95 way is not fun until you get to Virginia. I have gone some 30 times from St. Petersburg, Florida to Philadelphia and the only speeding tickets I ever got were always in North Carolina. GPS units are great for hotels, food and attractions.

Panama City beaches are really pretty.

• Members

I've looked at Google maps and Mapquest, but it seems some of the route suggestions are a little strange. Example; one suggestion had me heading southwest in Canada, to Windsor Ontario. That's across the river from Detroit, and it's probably a 12 hour drive from here. They'd have me doing 12 hours driving BEFORE crossing the U.S. border??? That's Nuts.

It might be as crazy as you think. Panama City is west of Windsor. Rt 95 takes you to the east coast of Florida, a long way from Panama City on the pan handle. To give you a better idea, a straight line from Windsor to Panama City will pass west of Atlanta. So, avoiding I95, and all the cities that slow it down in the Northeast might not be a bad idea.

• Members

It might be as crazy as you think. Panama City is west of Windsor. Rt 95 takes you to the east coast of Florida, a long way from Panama City on the pan handle. To give you a better idea, a straight line from Windsor to Panama City will pass west of Atlanta. So, avoiding I95, and all the cities that slow it down in the Northeast might not be a bad idea.

I meant to type its NOT as crazy as it seems. The point is that Panama City is probably almost as far west as it is south of Quebec.

• Members

I live in Tallahassee. The Atlanta route is best. From Atlanta,take I-85 to I-185 to Columbus. From Columbus, take SR 165 to US 431 and turn South. At Dothan, Alabama, take the bypass and hit US 231 South. Takes you straight to Panama City. If you have more questions, I'll try my beast and answer them! Have a great trip,the beach is beautiful!

• Members

I meant to type its NOT as crazy as it seems. The point is that Panama City is probably almost as far west as it is south of Quebec.

Yeah, I saw that. If I drew a line straight south from here (Lachute, Quebec), I'd end up in the Bahamas. :eek:

Looks like my best option would be driving to Lynchburg or Roanoke Va on day one(15 hours), then through Atlanta to Panama City Beach (another 14 hours)

• Members

I live in Tallahassee. The Atlanta route is best. From Atlanta,take I-85 to I-185 to Columbus. From Columbus, take SR 165 to US 431 and turn South. At Dothan, Alabama, take the bypass and hit US 231 South. Takes you straight to Panama City. If you have more questions, I'll try my beast and answer them! Have a great trip,the beach is beautiful!

Well, I just talked to my girlfriend, and it looks like there's a change of plans. Looks like they're probably going to fly home, rather than drive back. The trip might be off.

Archived