Drum mics, which set?

• Members

do you expect to find "critiques" on a $79. drum-kit?

No not really...I didn't expect to get critiques of any kind of detail. I was just looking to see if there was a clear-cut winner out of those 2 if you had to choose 'gun to your head' style. I know we're not getting great quality stuff here guys, but not everyone (especially bar patrons) has a pro-ear. Hell I don't have a pro ear. If I can't tell a massive difference between this and a mic that cost 3x as much, in a live situation mind you not on a studio track, a run-of-the-mill bar patron won't be able to either. If I can walk out in the room and I can hear everything and the drums don't sound like ass, I'll be satisfied.

If these end up being somewhat serviceable, we'll call it a day. If we use them and they sound horrible...then they'll probably get sent back in favor of something else. Live and learn.

My drummer asked me which one of these is better and I don't f'n know so I figured I'd see if there was an opinion here that's all. Maybe it was the wrong place to ask I dunno. What pissed me off was the 'get out of here with that garbage' attitude. I want to tell my drummer to spend the money and get much nicer stuff but he doesn't have it...so we're working with what we have. Simple as that.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The CAD's will do you fine. Are they the best ever? No way. Will they work for what you want to do and not break your bank account? Yes. The audience doesn't know anything about anything. As long as they hear drums, it will be fine.

• Members

The first set of drum mics I ever purchased were the DR's that you're looking at. The best I can say is that they were better than no mics at all. I have no experience with the CADs. As a starter set, I guess they're OK. (the DR's) It probably won't take you long to convince yourself to move up.

• Members

Hey all.

Looking to pick up either the CAD Pro-4 set of mics or the Digital Reference DRDK4 set. Can get either set for $70. We'll be using a Shure Beta mic on our kick, not the one that comes with either of these packs. Just need the snare and 2 tom mics.

I know they aren't the best out there, but choosing between these 2 which of these would you guys recommend? We'll be using them for live stage use only, in bar and club type venues.

Thanks!

Get the CAD Pro-4. Regular everyday folks in a bar won't be able to tell they're not a more expensive mic kit. You'll be fine.

• Members

I bought an inexpensive set of CAD drum mics some years ago. I immediatly got rid of the condensors (gave them away as they would overload easily and had NO PAD - yes it was the mic, not the strip). I thought the dynamics were more than decent for the money. I believe there was 1xK, 3xT/sn and 2xOH and the cost was around $150. I can't speak for the DR company but for the money the CAD was suprisingly good.

Just a thought, but in most clubs just a kick and snare is a good start. Mayby you could take your budget and buy two better mic. I know others have advised you along the same lines, but if you can get by for a few gigs and save your money..........you really wouldn't regret it.

• Members

we dont know because we dont use $18 mics

Then don't bother answering. Simple as that. If the gear we're considering is so far beneath you then why are you wasting your time? Schmucks like us that aren't using $500 mics??? Why would you even give us the time of day? Just show up at our gig and rip those pieces of garbage out of our hands and smash them. They suck. Now save up all your gig money for the next month and instead of paying bills, buy a set of real mics you douche! (and walk away laughing).

• Members

Thanks to the people that answered with useful advice. We'll try this CAD set out. If they won't work for us and sound like total crap we'll send 'em back.

We have a Shure Beta kick mic so we won't be using the one in the kit. I know they're not the best ever but hopefully the snare and 2 tom mics will be half decent.

• Members

Then don't bother answering. Simple as that. If the gear we're considering is so far beneath you then why are you wasting your time? Schmucks like us that aren't using $500 mics??? Why would you even give us the time of day? Just show up at our gig and rip those pieces of garbage out of our hands and smash them. They suck. Now save up all your gig money for the next month and instead of paying bills, buy a set of real mics you douche! (and walk away laughing).

you need to check your attitude. i have been helpful and nice to you - it is you that have the attitude problem. i have not been mean to you or condescending. you also need to re-read what i have said, as what you are quoting me as saying is not all all accurate.

• Members

Thanks to the people that answered with useful advice. We'll try this CAD set out. If they won't work for us and sound like total crap we'll send 'em back.

We have a Shure Beta kick mic so we won't be using the one in the kit. I know they're not the best ever but hopefully the snare and 2 tom mics will be half decent.

I'm no pro by any sort, just a guy with a day job who has loved music since he was 5. I think what everyone is trying to say is...why spend your money on a "cheaper" drum mic set...when you can get something much better for a little bit more.

For $80, you're getting a mic pack that has a useless kick mic to you. I'd (personally) prefer to have a great kick and snare mic (use your beta and grab an SM57 for $80). Then, save up and get either a decent condenser for around $80...or a couple tom mics (again, around $80-100 each).

I guess I've learned over the years to buy right, by buying once. I don't own $500 mics either.

• Members

I think the point he's trying to get across is that, his drummer has $70, not him.

Yes, thank you!

It's not even my decision. He just told me he was looking at either of these 2 sets because that's what he could afford and I wanted to see if one had any slight advantage over the other. He asked me for my opinion and heck I don't know, so I asked you guys. I don't feel like it's my place to tell him 'don't buy that just keep saving and do this instead'. He's a grown-ass man lol.

I'm sure he wants to sound great...why would he not. And I'm sure if could afford to he'd get better stuff guys! If these sound like total crap, then I'll stick my nose in and he'll hear about it from the other guys in the band as well as myself, our sound guy, and venues and customers!

@ stang: His kit is Pearl I'm not sure what kind of cymbals he has...I think they're all Zildjian. Acoustically his kit sounds amazing to my ears.

• CMS Author

This is totally uncalled for, isn't what Coaster was either stating or implying, and isn't the type of post I ever want to see in this forum. Does it look typical of this forum to you?

• Members

If these sound like total crap, then I'll stick my nose in and he'll hear about it from the other guys in the band as well as myself, our sound guy, and venues and customers!

I agree with Bobby1Note...why not explain these responses that you've received on this forum. If he honestly cannot afford anything else and money is that tight, why potentially let him "waste" his money on inferior equipment when you can explain that by saving an extra $80, he can have an SM57 and decent condenser mic? Then, the drummer will be set for quite some time.

• Members

This is totally uncalled for, isn't what Coaster was either stating or implying, and isn't the type of post I ever want to see in this forum. Does it look typical of this forum to you?

Look, that post was exaggerated and bloated with sarcasm (obviously). I stand by the first 3 sentences though.

I politely replied to Coaster's original suggestion to my OP, and explained that saving up and spending $80 to start and then additional $325 later was not an option for the person that was buying them, because it's not even me, and asked my original (simple) question a second time. If ya had to choose between these, is one better than the other?

I got back: "Who knows? No one here uses that level of gear." Well excuse the f out of me!! That has the connotation of looking down one's long nose at my question, and might as well read "get out of my face with that no one would ever use that junk, and I and everyone else here is better than you because we all know those mics are trash, neener neener neener!" Regardless of what Coaster meant, that's how it came across. Snobby. If you don't know and that equipment is such trash that you would never use it, then don't waste your time replying! I don't like being talked to like that, especially when #1: I'm not even the one buying them, and #2, I expressly stated that I knew these mics weren't of great quality to begin with. I don't need to be reminded of it, especially in a way that talks down to me like I'm an idiot.

Plus, the idea that 'no one here would use such a microphone' was obviously wrong because a few people responded with actual helpful advice on my original question, and recommended the CAD set over the other one.

• Members

I agree with Bobby1Note...why not explain these responses that you've received on this forum.

Wel...lol...I did explain that I found some un-favorable opinions online (you guys) and brought back the single SM57 idea. His point in return was that 'his toms will get burried in the larger rooms with only the kick and snare mic'd' and he 'didn't know when he'd have the cash' for the better tom mics. He also responded back with "eh...musiciansfriend has a bunch of good reviews". lol.

He's going to give the CAD ones a try. If they suck then we'll know you guys were on point! I dunno we'll just have to see.

• Members

@ stang: His kit is Pearl I'm not sure what kind of cymbals he has...I think they're all Zildjian. Acoustically his kit sounds amazing to my ears.

I was just wondering why someone would want to put the cheapest set of mics on an amazing kit?

Noone here is trying to be a snob (seriously) just lots of people have bought the cheap {censored} then eventually had to go out and rebuy the better stuff later.

You have a good kick mic, tell him to spend that $70 on an sm57 for his snare. Then at least when he is ready to spend some more he has a great start. Or if he never ever upgrades at least his 57 has resale value. I have been there with {censored}ty gear and wish I woulda took advice like this.

Looking at the big picture.

Let him read this thread.

Archived