The Beatles Were ‘the Worst Musicians in the World,’ Quincy Jones Says

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

My guess is that none of the Beatles would disagree with Q. They did improve through.

Let's ask Dave Grohl to weigh in:

“When I think about kids watching a TV show like American Idol or The Voice, then they think, ‘Oh, OK, that’s how you become a musician, you stand in line for eight ****************ing hours with 800 people at a convention center and… then you sing your heart out for someone and then they tell you it’s not ****************in’ good enough.’ Can you imagine?” he implores. “It’s destroying the next generation of musicians! Musicians should go to a yard sale and buy and old ****************ing drum set and get in their garage and just suck. And get their friends to come in and they’ll suck, too. And then they’ll ****************ing start playing and they’ll have the best time they’ve ever had in their lives and then all of a sudden they’ll become Nirvana. Because that’s exactly what happened with Nirvana. Just a bunch of guys that had some ****************ty old instruments and they got together and started playing some noisy-ass ****************, and they became the biggest band in the world."

And for some counterpoint, anybody remember Andres Segovia?

"Electric guitars are an abomination, whoever heard of an electric violin? An electric cello? Or for that matter an electric singer?"

Zip

I recall one of the band members (think it was John) saying they stopped playing live because it was too difficult to successfully play the type of music they wanted to create.

To a degree, but that was less about their abilities as musicians and instead it was due to the fact that the music they were starting to do was too complicated to reproduce onstage with only a four piece combo; a lot of that was due to the way they started making recordings and their use of studio technology and outside musicians - overdubbing, etc. Can you imagine trying to cover Tomorrow Never Knows live - even with today's technology? Or Sgt. Pepper? Hard to do... but back then, short of taking a bunch of additional musicians with you on tour, it would have been nearly impossible.

• Members

To a degree, but that was less about their abilities as musicians and instead it was due to the fact that the music they were starting to do was too complicated to reproduce onstage with only a four piece combo; a lot of that was due to the way they started making recordings and their use of studio technology and outside musicians - overdubbing, etc. Can you imagine trying to cover Tomorrow Never Knows live - even with today's technology? Or Sgt. Pepper? Hard to do... but back then, short of taking a bunch of additional musicians with you on tour, it would have been nearly impossible.

Can you imagine the Beatles playing Tomorrow Never Knows at Candlestick Park to 100,000 teenage girls?

Oh and here ya go:

Zip

Can you imagine the Beatles playing Tomorrow Never Knows at Candlestick Park to 100,000 teenage girls?

Oh and here ya go:

Zip

I was present the very first night that McCartney ever played it live in the USA. With today's technology (samplers, etc.) it's a lot easier for a small combo to pull it off than it would have been in 1967.

• Members

I was present the very first night that McCartney ever played it live in the USA. With today's technology (samplers, etc.) it's a lot easier for a small combo to pull it off than it would have been in 1967.

I've helped Wix put his stage rig together.

Diffrent times way back then.

Zip

• Members

I saw McCartney at the Forum that first tour he was “back”. ‘91? Drove out from Vegas just for that.

Still maybe the best show I’ve ever seen. That moment when he kicked into “Sgt Peppers” was just magical.

• Members

Man, that guy kinda makes me wish I learned how to play piano!

To a certain extent it's apples and oranges. Guys like that are expected to be able to play everything well. Artists like the Beatles just do their own thing, so it's addition by subtraction. Even with the magnificent talent of players like those on the stage, it's hard to have the same intimacy with their material as an artist does with the style he creates as an extension not just of their ability, but of his self.

Exactly.

Paul McCartney is (IMO) a pop music genius and his shows are comprised of nearly 100% his own music - which he is very capable of delivering.

Playing with a drummer who can groove and keep time is always a treat. The Beatles themselves had high praise for Sir Ringo's ability to deliver on both counts.

George Harrison complimented Eric Clapton for the "memorable" guitar parts he contributed to ATMP. If The Beatles were going for memorable then I would say their musicianship was more than adequate.

I saw McCartney at the Forum that first tour he was “back”. ‘91? Drove out from Vegas just for that.

Still maybe the best show I’ve ever seen. That moment when he kicked into “Sgt Peppers” was just magical.

The Flowers In The Dirt tour ran from 1989 - 1990. I saw him on opening night in LA at the Forum - it was 11-23-89 - Thanksgiving evening.

The funny thing happened about a year later. It was Christmas 1990, and I was at my aunt's house. Someone had given me the Tripping The Live Fantastic CDs for Christmas and one of my cousins asked if it would be okay to spin it, which of course I said "sure" to... and as we're all hanging out and talking, it's playing in the background. And when Sgt Pepper came on, within three seconds of it starting, I said "that was recorded the night I was there." No one believed me at first, but I knew I had heard it before. Upon checking the liner notes, sure enough - it was recorded on 11-23-89 - the night I was there. I had only heard it once - a year previously - but could identify it with 100% certainty over a year later after only hearing a few seconds of the playback. :0

Archived