Post Your Soundcloud Here

• Members
If anyone is curious, I suppose some of this represents. All recordings here are from 20+ years ago. I've grown some since then. smiley-wink Would that the player I was then could benefit from the producer/recordist I am now. Oh well. New stuff exists or is in the works, but I probably won't be loading it up here. Thanks for checking it out. :cool3:

:whisper: ...pssst. I wasn't RockViolin yet. I was SomeOtherViolin...not sure what...

All I've had time to listen to is "Spritzer"...But I'm hooked now...I'll be going through your catalog. Class act to be sure! I'm assuming that's a string instrument utilizing ...what...hex pickup? Midi violin?

Sounds awesome though!

• Members

All I've had time to listen to is "Spritzer"...But I'm hooked now...I'll be going through your catalog. Class act to be sure! I'm assuming that's a string instrument utilizing ...what...hex pickup? Midi violin?

Sounds awesome though!

Thankyou AlamoJoe! You are most kind and your comment means a lot to me.

The woman in the picture that inspired the song was quite classy. I'm glad that came across. :)

That's my black Barbera 5-string Ultralite electric violin. It's partially a graphite composite with a pickup that Barbera introduced in the early 80's. He mostly makes the pickups now and they are still the best I do believe. It's a bridge with a transducer type pickup for each string. He only made the violins for a short time though and I'm one of the lucky ones. Fairly easy on the 'ol neck fortunately compared to the solid body acrylic that can be partly seen in my avatar.

No midi there. Violin was recorded direct to an Adat XT20 through a really fun preset in a processor of mine and tube mic pre. That's all I'm giving up on the chain. :D

The programming was done on my venerable Roland XP80, ( it was rather new to me at the time ) and has since been completely redone with same and a few other sequencers. That much is new and improved. I learned to sync the sequencers to the new recorder, an Adat HD24XR, rather than record them to it a while back and and will probably de-piezo the violin sound some for the new effort. Some ginseng tea and some practice...maybe I can still deliver too. I intend to find out. :thu:

(musketeer-ish bow)

• Members

Thankyou AlamoJoe! You are most kind and your comment means a lot to me.

The woman in the picture that inspired the song was quite classy. I'm glad that came across. :)

That's my black Barbera 5-string Ultralite electric violin. It's partially a graphite composite with a pickup that Barbera introduced in the early 80's. He mostly makes the pickups now and they are still the best I do believe. It's a bridge with a transducer type pickup for each string. He only made the violins for a short time though and I'm one of the lucky ones. Fairly easy on the 'ol neck fortunately compared to the solid body acrylic that can be partly seen in my avatar.

No midi there. Violin was recorded direct to an Adat XT20 through a really fun preset in a processor of mine and tube mic pre. That's all I'm giving up on the chain. :D

The programming was done on my venerable Roland XP80, ( it was rather new to me at the time ) and has since been completely redone with same and a few other sequencers. That much is new and improved. I learned to sync the sequencers to the new recorder, an Adat HD24XR, rather than record them to it a while back and and will probably de-piezo the violin sound some for the new effort. Some ginseng tea and some practice...maybe I can still deliver too. I intend to find out. :thu:

(musketeer-ish bow)

Oh hey wasn't trying to get you to give up any signal chain secrets...Lol...Well...maybe not.:lol:

I thought the recordings sounded absolutely contemporary however. Like they were recorded yesterday.

I had no idea there were 5 string violins....Then again I had a hard time wrapping my head around 5 string basses and 7 string guitars..:0

Listening to "Wheelhouse" now...Was immediately struck by the guitar like quality of the playing. You know Eric Johnson, I think is striving for that same quality in his guitar solos. Violin like. "Wheelhouse" is a gem as well!

• Members

Oh hey wasn't trying to get you to give up any signal chain secrets...Lol...Well...maybe not.:lol:

I thought the recordings sounded absolutely contemporary however. Like they were recorded yesterday.

I had no idea there were 5 string violins....Then again I had a hard time wrapping my head around 5 string basses and 7 string guitars..:0

Listening to "Wheelhouse" now...Was immediately struck by the guitar like quality of the playing. You know Eric Johnson, I think is striving for that same quality in his guitar solos. Violin like. "Wheelhouse" is a gem as well!

I didn't think you were, in particular. It's the thousands upon thousands of other readers...ya never know. :lol:

That and I still have deluded moments when I think I'm still a contender in a race that seems to be pretty much over. :0

And somebody around here said to never ever give up valuable production secrets. That sound is probably my onliest one. Though gobs of distortion aren't easy to manage with an electric violin and there is something to that as well and that is probably my bestest one, which makes two. very-happy.png.197c47f720636f02390cc2b0a33804da.png' alt='smiley-veryhappy'> Anyway, were they to listen, Joe and Steve could probably tell exactly where to find that sound. I did come across it my own self though whereupon there was a thunderous Ah Ha!

Well, those versions may have to stand since the Yamaha RS7000 that had a big role in the reprogramming just croaked. It won't boot, and is likely a matter of bad caps from what I've read. I'd buy another used but am fearful that it will already be well on it's way to a similar fate. Hmmm...still, if it works just long enough it might be worth it. Half the programming to those two songs and about a dozen others is unavailable, on cards which another RS7000 would presumably read.

My 5 string violins are fretless and the 5th string is *1 lower*. Giving them the range of a viola and a violin. And yes, I'm a violinist that's chasing guitar players who are chasing the violin. Sustain is the easy part from here. :D

I owe a lot to the guitar players I've admired so much lo these many years. Jean luc Ponty, Stevie Kindler, Jerry Goodman and other electric violinists had their influence, but at some point I hung a left at Albukoykee...or tried to. Tommy Bolin was big with me early on, as were Jimmy Page and Jeff Beck, Martin Barr, and the first time I heard Surfing With The Alien on the radio I had a cow... Satriani, Vai, and the one and only Prince also weighed in among others.

Thanks again AlamoJoe. You've made my day once more. :)

• Members

I was influenced by those guitarists as well. A lot guitar players were knocked out by Bolin...but he had a fairly short stay unfortunately. Jeff Beck talents haven't dimmed much to my ears..He still performs although he seems content to replay his vast catalog. He still astounds though.

Prince was one of the best guitar players that ever lived really. Satch, to my ears, hasn't grown a lot really. Still one of the best single note solo guys around. Vai has a lot more layers and has been featuring violinists in his live shows for some time. Page can still get his trademark tone, but he just doesn't play much anymore.

I've been reading your posts for years....Really glad I got to finally hear some of your music. You can sometimes learn more about a person from the music they create than from the written words on the screen.......You really are Rock Violin. :philthumb:

• Members
I was influenced by those guitarists as well. A lot guitar players were knocked out by Bolin...but he had a fairly short stay unfortunately. Jeff Beck talents haven't dimmed much to my ears..He still performs although he seems content to replay his vast catalog. He still astounds though.

Prince was one of the best guitar players that ever lived really. Satch, to my ears, hasn't grown a lot really. Still one of the best single note solo guys around. Vai has a lot more layers and has been featuring violinists in his live shows for some time. Page can still get his trademark tone, but he just doesn't play much anymore.

I've been reading your posts for years....Really glad I got to finally hear some of your music. You can sometimes learn more about a person from the music they create than from the written words on the screen.......You really are Rock Violin. :philthumb:

Agreed on all points. Tommy was from Sioux City, my home town as well, and I always felt kind of connected to him though we never met. I was just discovering him when he died. Anyway, it's not so much that we're both from the same town as much as it is the area, the extreme weather, War Eagle's ghost maybe...not sure. I just felt touched by him in some way. His riffs are so powerful, particularly from the Deep Purple album, Come Taste The Band. His solos are so well put together. He may not have done Blackmore justice, but I can understand to some degree.

Joe plateaued. After Flying In A Blue Dream there just didn't seem to be much more up his sleeve IMO. And as can often happen he began to imitate himself.

I've seen Steve Vai's "You'd Better Run" vid and I just wasn't that scared of the violinists...I'd probably run from Steve though. :eekphil:

The hair didn't last, but I'm about down to my rocking weight and if I can get the potion right for my pain issue maybe I'll get a shot. I'd still like one. I've been waylaid in no small way, but I am still here... to fight another day perhaps. I can't seem to manage to give up, anyway.

Prince was in a league all his own though, much like Jimi.

Talk is just talk, and I've hopefully not said too much over the years-(ding dong neck notwithstanding). But I'll rest easy feeling that what talk I've made has been backed up, and that I've offered some proof that classical training need not be a confinement. It depends on the person, what they have in them, how willing they are to explore it and how well they can bring forces to bear.

Maybe we can tip a beer together someday, friend. :wave:

Cheers! :eatdrink004:

:cool11:

• Members

I remember the story of your injuries. Which i wasn't aware of until much later in my arrival here. Had a completely different view of you previous to that reveal....Now that I've drank deeply of your music I have a even more vivid picture. I don't think Vai's violinists have anything on you either.

I'm not convinced that in a head on between you and Vai, with you at full strength, that it would be you who's knees would be knockin'.

Jus' sayin'....

• Members
I remember the story of your injuries. Which i wasn't aware of until much later in my arrival here. Had a completely different view of you previous to that reveal....Now that I've drank deeply of your music I have a even more vivid picture. I don't think Vai's violinists have anything on you either.

I'm not convinced that in a head on between you and Vai, with you at full strength, that it would be you who's knees would be knockin'.

Jus' sayin'....

(Festus voice)

Yep, wull I'm jus' a' sayin too. I mean, fiddlers and face offs go way back a spell, long before Jonny and The Devil. But I'm not looking for trouble now see, and I ain't fixin to commence to throw down for no show down till I've sorted the crick in my bum neck out somethin futher.

I'm a 'gittin thar.

Anyways, them violin players is one thang, but I've got no truck with Mister Vai. Heck, I'm probably in a heap 'o trouble with Mister Satriani already. But if they come gunnin for me... one at a time, or the whole passle of 'em put together all at once I shall have no alternative but to fire back with extreme prejudice.

:) Seriously, AlamoJoe, the good shot in the arm is much appreciated. Maybe we could shorten it some and I'll call you Mojo...

... for all that you've sent me. :cool2:

:thu:

• 11 months later...
  • Members
Hey Everyone,

Not sure how many of you have a Soundcloud page but if you do, please provide a link here. Here`s mine... if you enjoy, please subscribe.

EB

Yeah, in fact I just uploaded one last month w/ a vocal by Ernest Buckley.

I've been tweaking the orchestration and mix.

My old friend and all-time great HC member, Rudy (Angelo Clematide 1954-2013)

helped me on this.

He orchestrated the song around my guitar and piano tracks.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I totally love everything about this song ...Reggae,rythym great lyrics, smooth as silk vocals with a touch of sadness in the voice, If the Beatles ever ventured into Reggae ..it would be comparable to this.

If this song was recorded with a good reggae drummer to fill in the usual spots ( oh, and a good live bass)

oh Lawdy..

this is TV theme stuff..If anyone watches Hawai’i 50 they always open with a Reggae/ Island song.

a movie score too.

but I am thinking of Z.Malone playing this in any local club, with a good backup band..It reminds me of my bar band in the 80’s -90s..we played Rock/Reggae...original tunes in this style, plus, Marley and Police covers.

Z Malone..I am gonna learn this song.

I am bowled over with awe..

I try to listen to new stuff, I push the button and listen..and most times, I am less than impressed..but, dang..

this song caught me by the gonads..

• Members

I like that One Mark, heard it awhile back.

I know that Craig Anderton likes to cover your songs...I think his vocal sound would work well on that tune.

Which one, Luke? That link is to an entire album :)

• Members

Whoopsie...I meant ‘Attic Room’ I think his vocal phrasing style would work well..

craig seems to accentuate every syllable in his vocals, ...just my humble opinion, but I think it would be a good cover tune for him.

• Members
Whoopsie...I meant ‘Attic Room’ I think his vocal phrasing style would work well..

craig seems to accentuate every syllable in his vocals, ...just my humble opinion, but I think it would be a good cover tune for him.

Interesting observation. I wonder if he'll read your post...

• 11 months later...

Archived