Korg DSS-1 slow to come to life puzzle

Chordite

• Members

I am about to service my venerable DSS-1. all the usual button replacement, keyboard felt backlight and dodgy jack sockets. But there is a recent problem which is that it after a successful program load in which you can click through the 32 presets fine the keyboard stays dead for a minute or two before anything comes out, either audio or MIDI, (neither will it play through midi input from another synth so it isn't the physical keys connection area.) Once running it stays running fine.

Anyone else had this problem with their DSS-1? or any ideas which area to check out whilst it is all open on the bench?

• Members

I used to have the DSS-1, and even created a web page for the synth about 10 years ago that's still up and running (for floppy image downloads, technical advice, and various helper software) - http://glenstegner.com/dss1

However, I have never had the problem that you describe.

Good luck with your repair and refurbishing job. If the unit you have turns out to not be repairable, you can always grab another used (unmodified) DSS-1 for not too much money.

The floppy drive is usually the first thing to go, and my site has advice on where to find a replacement. There is also a mod kit out there, that allows you to replace the floppy drive with a USB port, permitting you to store the entire DSS-1 sample+patch library on a single flash drive.

LCD backlight tends to go bad as well, and you can get a backlight replacement (which I did when I had one).

It's a quite powerful sounding synth, with excellent analog filters. I enjoyed the hell out of it while I had it.

• Members

Thanks Chip, both for the reply and the webpage which I have visited many times.:cool: I think people tend to be put off the DSS-1 because neither the youtube demos nor the factory disks show it off at its best. I bought it decades back from Richard Sharpe who did keys occasionally for the Shamen. He had a phenomenal Steinway disk and some amazing String and Brass samples by a company called Metrasound marketing in Germany.

I will put up a very short MP3 of the Strings using the DSS-1 sliders dynamically at some point soon.

I also used the Korg as a vocal and guitar effects unit, the twin delay lines being particularly useful.

Archived