Tired of wasting time at band rehearsal?

Phil O'Keefe

• Members

Rule #1: Music is supposed to be fun & enjoyable.

I know I mention that last in the article, but it really should be the first rule. If you're not getting that part right, none of the rest really matters very much IMO. But there's a balance that should be maintained. Things can be too strict, serious, and judgmental (which can kill all the fun and enjoyment), but they can also be too loose, flippant, and carefree to the point of being careless - and that doesn't work very well either.

There seem to be more bands that are lazy and loose than bands that are too strict and serious, at least from my experiences. YMMV on that, but I do think it's important to try to find a good balance that works for everyone.

This is why I just stopped gigging. It wasn't fun. I'm certainly not in it for the money so if it isn't fun, there is just no point. And it wasn't fun because the bands I was in were mind bogglingly poorly managed. They were "good enough to get gigs". I want to be better than that. It takes at least SOME serious rehearsal, but we can still have fun.

• Members

I start with the assumption that everyone's gigging experiences will vary. Each circuit has its own expectations. What's really bothered me recently is that too often, guys don't want to have an initial face time session to see what those differences are so the new guy(s) can decide whether or not they can deal with them. I'm not willing to spend a lot of time getting up to speed on your project only to find out there were major obstacles that I thought should have been easy to recognize.

I start with the assumption that everyone's gigging experiences will vary. Each circuit has its own expectations. What's really bothered me recently is that too often' date=' guys don't want to have an initial face time session to see what those differences are so the new guy(s) can decide whether or not they can deal with them. I'm not willing to spend a lot of time getting up to speed on your project only to find out there were major obstacles that I thought should have been easy to recognize.[/quote']

The Facetime meeting idea is a good one IMO.

• 7 months later...
  • Members

Rule #1: Music is supposed to be fun & enjoyable.

I know I mention that last in the article, but it really should be the first rule. If you're not getting that part right, none of the rest really matters very much IMO. But there's a balance that should be maintained. Things can be too strict, serious, and judgmental (which can kill all the fun and enjoyment), but they can also be too loose, flippant, and carefree to the point of being careless - and that doesn't work very well either.

There seem to be more bands that are lazy and loose than bands that are too strict and serious, at least from my experiences. YMMV on that, but I do think it's important to try to find a good balance that works for everyone.

recently we have realized that it takes over 400 repetitions to form a new synapse in the brain unless play is utilized in which case it takes only 10 to 20 repetitions. a sense of humor and a positive attitude are important if im going to work with you... your skill level can certainly help some audience members connect with a performance, but attitude, personality, and passion is what the majority seem to grasp on to... and personal perspective on first things last,in your article? modern attention spans (maybe we should call them attention blips?) arent all that expansive... it seems the last idea or the most recent in memory is the one that makes the most lingering impact...

and im sorry, but i tend to laugh directly at dirty looks... most folks point out others mistakes in the hopes it will keep attention away from their own...

music is a creative process... not an attempt at mechanically perfect repetitions in some imaginary perfectly sterile scenario, devoid of the visceral nature of creation... no mud, no lily... its a balance thing.

Archived