Who makes the best stage monitor?

• Members

I'd guess that is a PTC and not a HPF?

I don't think so. I didn't know what a PTC was until a minute ago, but all the ones I'm finding are tiny ( well under 0.5 cu in.) - the faulty component in the TX2 circuit was considerably larger and heavier than that: the volume was 2-3 cu in. or more, and at least a few ounces in weight.

-Dan.

• Members

Yeah, another typo. Grrr.

I had 4 that I used for acoustic oriented, folk/rock and Jazz shows, along with UPA-1's and 650's. I think Mark and Tony may have some of these as well.

I have 4 UPAs and 2 650s but I am using QSC HPR112s for my monitors.

• Members

Yeah, another typo. Grrr.

I had 4 that I used for acoustic oriented, folk/rock and Jazz shows, along with UPA-1's and 650's. I think Mark and Tony may have some of these as well.

Yes. I own and operate 8 ea. of the Meyer UM-1 monitors, 16ea. UPA-1's, 8ea. 650-R2's and 8ea USW-1's.

• Members

Those early "P's" used a clever full bridge mode 2 channel power amp biased to 1/2-Vcc, an off the shelf modified 48 volt SMPS and roughly 2or 3 ohm drivers. The +24 volt offset was cancelled out as common mode when operated in the full bridge configuration.

• Members

Those early "P's" used a clever full bridge mode 2 channel power amp biased to 1/2-Vcc, an off the shelf modified 48 volt SMPS and roughly 2or 3 ohm drivers. The +24 volt offset was cancelled out as common mode when operated in the full bridge configuration.

Interesting...I didn't know there was more than one version of UM-1P.

• Members

Interesting...I didn't know there was more than one version of UM-1P.

I don't recall working on any late model ones, the ones I serviced were early and the application of the stock 48V SMPS was pretty darn clever IMO. That's why I remembered it. They may have changed in later models, don't know. The stuff is generally reliable enough that we don't see all that much of the powered ones for service

Archived