Who makes the best stage monitor?

• Members

Floor wedges or side fills? I use a couple of JBL 515's for side fills. They more than cover the entire stage at our largest venue (about 30 ft wide stage). The lead singer and backup's couldn't be more happy with them and they don't need floor wedges.

• Members

Radian, still sells a MicroWedge. It's MUCH cheaper than EAW's version from what I can tell,,,, like 1/2 the price.

Yup, some say as good or better. But they sold the rights to the name so it isn't a "real" MicroWedge. Carvin even has their own "clone' that some say isn't bad at all:

http://www.carvinguitars.com/products/single.php?product=TRX12N

• Members

Yup, some say as good or better.
But they sold the rights to the name so it isn't a "real" MicroWedge.
Carvin even has their own "clone' that some say isn't bad at all:

From what I can tell, it's still the same price-range they used to sell for, before they sold the MicroWedge name to EAW. Roughly $1300. for the co-ax version.

• Members

Best sound I've ever heard on stage was through a pair of EAW SM400iH cabinets, one on each side of the drum riser. I asked for "everything louder than everything else". They gave it to me. The show was literally at "breathe between kick drum beats" level. I've wanted to own a set of them ever since then, but their size and weight means I most likely never will.

http://www.eaw.com/products/sm400iH.html

?listingPicid=22512&cacheBreaker=1301777

• Members

UPM-1P is a great box, so is the MicroWedge, but as far as bang for the buck it's hard to beat a biamped and properly processed SRX-712M.

The 712M's are indeed a good monitor. Not the smoothest sounding box but they have predictable coverage, small size, lightweight, and surprisingly high power.

L'acoustics 112xt are about my favourite wedges, but I've also played through some fantastic monitor rigs built by Claire Bros, EAW, Ev, Adamson, d&b, meyer, martin... they all build fantastic speakers.

• Members

IEM's running off an Aviom, because it means I have less work to do.

Yorkvilles' TX2m looks pretty good too.

At my last job, we had problems with the horn-protecting HPF's on those going bad. There was a component (?cap?) that was rather heavy and not supported by anything other than the soldered leads - toss 'em around a bit and the solder joints would break. IIRC, we eventually just pulled out the HPF's.

-Dan.

• Members

Hmmm, I thought those TX boxes had no internal processing, and that you need to run the appropriate TX processor.

There's no crossover, just a HPF to protect the driver in the horn. From the web site, "The TX2M comes with passive horn protection in case of accidental operation without the TX2P."

-Dan.

• Members

There's no crossover, just a HPF to protect the driver in the horn. From the web site, "
The TX2M comes with passive horn protection in case of accidental operation without the TX2P.
"

-Dan.

FWIW, I also think it needs a dose of re-styling. ;)

Archived