how and when did you learn to write a complete song?

mbengs1

• 1 month later...
  • Members

I wrote my first "song" after seeing my favorite band in concert. 2 days after the show I woke up with the first 2 lines going through my head over and over and over. I had never written before and didn't own an instrument. I went out and bought a notebook and wrote down those 2 lines and the rest of the lyrics just poured out. 3 verses and a clear chorus. When I was writing it though I clearly heard it as a song with a full band.

I have never been able to put that music to that song.

I always start with lyrics ( I know I know I know) but when I am writing I hear the music. Because of my playing limitations some "songs" have never had the music put to the words.

I have also never sat down and tried to write a song. Everytime I have, nonsense and triteness comes out. The ones I have written just come from some unexplained place. Usually when I don't have any paper around. ( Thank God for smart phones)

Once they get started though I become obsessive about trying to finish it. I have about 30 or 45 songs. I think about 12-15 are decent. Some of those dont have the music put to them yet but I can hear how they should sound. Best part is they are all mine.

​​​​​​

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Cool! It takes all kinds! Never heard of trackers. I need pen, paper, and instrument to write a song.

When it gets to the point where there are so many cross-outs I can't read the pages anymore, I type it all out on a computer and work from there.

• Members

I saw Greg Brown do the shortest songwriting workshop in the history of songwriting workshops. Three songwriters went before him and took five or ten minutes each to describe their "process."

Then Greg took his turn: "First I write the words. Then I write the music."

He was the only one who made sense.

Archived