Peavey PR Speakers

• Members

Does anyone own these speakers? If so, how do you like them. I saw a band last night and they had two of these on a stick each side. They had 3 vocalist, and 2 guitarist running through them and I was AMAZED how loud and clear they were. They really had the system dialed in. I'm thinking that with a couple of subs, that would have been a decent inexpensive system.

• Members

Like most things ... if you use them for the job they are intended to do they are a nice little speaker. If you try to exceed what they can do, not so good.

Well, they definitely had them setup nice. I vocals just cut through like glass. I could actually hear the female singer breathing between her lines. Not thats some seriously clear vocals.

• Members

I have four of the PR10's, four of the PR-SUB's and two of the PR12D (powered). The subs are pretty wimpy, takes two to keep up with one of the tops. As dboomer said they sound fine within their SPL range. The PR-10's make surprisingly good vocal monitors with a touch of EQ and something to prop them at the proper angle. None are good at "need ear plugs" level but can certainly get up to that point no prob in an under 200 peep room. Obviously those subs are no good for the "modern" "hot subs" sound and have nothing below 50Hz - but make up for that in the coolness of being able to carry them two at a time :cool:.

• Members

I have four of the PR10's, four of the PR-SUB's and two of the PR12D (powered). The subs are pretty wimpy, takes two to keep up with one of the tops. As dboomer said they sound fine within their SPL range. The PR-10's make surprisingly good vocal monitors with a touch of EQ and something to prop them at the proper angle. None are good at "need ear plugs" level but can certainly get up to that point no prob in an under 200 peep room. Obviously those subs are no good for the "modern" "hot subs" sound and have nothing below 50Hz - but make up for that in the coolness of being able to carry them two at a time
:cool:

So you are running two of them each side? How much power are you pushing to them?

• Members

I just sold a pair of the 15's, IMO, they are one of the ugliest, bloated, cheap feeling speakers I have ever seen. I have seen milk cartons with a better fit and feel. I don't care for the sound of the 15's either, maybe the smaller ones sound better?

• Members
So you are running two of them each side? How much power are you pushing to them?

I've only run two a side for coverage when needed - I have a pair of stand adapters to let two sit on each stand. The amp I have for them is an RMX1450 clone so 300w each or 250w each if running two pairs.

• Members
I just sold a pair of the 15's, IMO, they are one of the ugliest, bloated, cheap feeling speakers I have ever seen. I have seen milk cartons with a better fit and feel. I don't care for the sound of the 15's either, maybe the smaller ones sound better?

Like most lower priced speakers the 15" versions get pretty muddy in the area below where the horns take over :(. The 10's are really nice on vocals and the biamp'd powered 12's sound fine to. The passive 12's I heard are OK but not as clear as the 10's or powered 12's.

• Members
The classic rock band I sub for uses the PR10s for monitors. They sound like crap IMO and are not loud enough.

They sound pretty fine and LOUD pushed with a itech4000 with proper EQ :D. I suspect they are trying to push frequencies into them that they can't handle - they need to be high passed at 70 or higher (80-100 is better!).

• Members

I have owned the passive PR12s and currently own the powered PR12D.

To reinforce was said earlier - used within their designed volume and power range, they work just fine. Driven to the ragged edge or over-powered they sound awful. I am little surprised to hear that someone was able to use them two per side and get them to sound ok, but, cool, glad to hear it.

The PR15s of any flavor are too muddy for my tastes. My PR12Ds get used very frequently for small rooms with and without subs. They have also pulled duty as powered monitor wedges for low-volume affairs. They do not get used as mains in larger rooms or for loud bands. My HPR122i cabs pull that duty.

Now, these cabs are not going to go toe to toe with a PRX612M or a K12, but they are light, durable, and sound ok, all with a high bang/buck ratio. Also, they aren't B--ringer, Pyle, Pyramid, or other peddler of mystical DJ watts.

• Members
Also, they aren't B--ringer, Pyle, Pyramid, or other peddler of mystical DJ watts.

It's a bit unfair to lump 'ringer in with the crap DJ brands. I have a pair of 'ringer B412DSP's that are stoopid loud (and heavy :() and sound just fine. I also have a pair of the little B208D's than sound fine too. Neither are rated in "DJ" watts - their ratings are more "honest" that the QSC K's and JBL PRX6xx's IMO. :p

• Members

wow. wide variety of opinion on the PR.

Actually, I was just thinking how consistent the opinions were.

10's & 12's pretty good, powered 12's better, 15's and subs not so good.

Thats just what I got from the posts, I have no experience with them.

• Members
The cabinet feels just like a cheap milk carton. It just screams cheap son of a bitch!

The cabs are supposed to be exactly the same as their higher level Impulse series. However they made them grey instead of black to differentiate them and I think that makes them a bit fugly. Fortunately the PR12D's are black and look decent IMO. The PRSUB's sound funky like other plastic subs when pushed - about the same as those Bose bass modules IMO. Plastic just isn't stiff enough for high SPL subs.

• Members
The cabinet of the 15 is way lighter weight then the Impulses I have here in the shop.

I know the PR drivers are way lighter than the Impulse drivers but the Impulse 1012 cabs I have seem to be of identical thickness to the PR12's. Did you compare the unloaded cabs?

• Members

pr 15's are the worst speaker I've ever stepped behind. Too close to the band they ruin the on stage sound. Aside from that we made it alright a few years on a pair. I'd love to trade them for two 12 inch monitors. ( which i was advised to buy when i purchased the pr's )

Month or so ago I bought an allen & heath mixer and got a harbinger 15 inch powered cabinet as a free gift. I havn't had it outside but inside it sounds much much better. It sells for $250. and I hope will make a decent monitor for our drummer.

Theres just not a decent growing plan with the 15 inch pr's. I've not had experience with the 10's and 12's.

• Members
Just looked at the cross-section of the material. I have some older Impulses and they are relatively robust compared w/ the PR's. (non-powered PR's)

Interesting - my Impulse's are relatively new (with the 500w LF drivers). The PRSUB's actually have a wooden brace in them - dunno about the PR15/1015's. Someone from Peavey said the cabs are out of the same molds. BTW the guy that designed the PR's says they can be improved by adding in the dampening material that the Impulse's have - it was removed by the bean counters :( .

Archived