Here's a clever idea from Strymon - expandable power supplies

Phil O'Keefe

• Members

Took me awhile to figure out what they meant by expandable. Apparently the blue boxes daisy chain together with a 24V link.

They don't seem to list the current loads which you really have to know. Looks awful bulky to me too compared to other systems. You get 4 outlets per box and a variable output for $150 to $175? I run 9 boxes off a single $20 Spot one. I have a couple of others with unique voltages so I have to run them on their own power supplies. I wouldn't have the room to fit two of those on my pedal board either. I'd have to build a new one with a cavity below the pedals to fit those units I'd likely need two and there's no way I'm paying $325 for some dummy boxes that run off a wall wart. They can boast about filtering but that's 100% sales poop in my book. If the DC is clean and the current is right, that's all that matters.

The way I have my pedal board setup is the front row of pedals are level with the ground so I can keep my heel on the floor working the front row. The back row is elevated and tilted forward. Those pedals don't get used that often or are connected to a loop. I keep the power supply under that back row shelf

If I create the trap bottom and raise everything up a few inches to fit them in that would put the pedals at least 3" off the floor. I then have to lift my foot off the floor playing all night switching pedals and you wind up with a sore foot from having to balanced your weight on one leg all night.

If they want to design a useful power supply just make it a long strip, similar to a power strip, except narrower.

This would allow you to mount it along the back of the board and you could have short jumpers of maybe 4" to the front row of pedals and 3" to the back row of pedals. This would make the board tidy not having all those DC wires running all over the place to get to pedals like you'd have with a square box and outlets close together. The power transformer can be at one end of that strip where the AC cord plugs in. An AC power switch would be handy too which none of these power supply builders seem to think is important.

Archived