popular amps before that are not available in the market today

mbengs1

• Members

If I like a piece of gear, it is like the kiss of death for that! Usually guitars (Tacoma, Ovation VXT, was Guild Starfires, etc)... I have need for admittedly niche market of battery powered amp and Fender Mini Mustang my fave choice (not much bass, but can't have everything). And yes I do have a THR 10 and the new Vox Adio, but something about that little amp that could.... of course Fender stopped making, still make the Passport mini but just not as player friendly (had to give up on the fly adjustments for second channel). Okay, you guys continue on with your big stuff

• Members

If I like a piece of gear, it is like the kiss of death for that! Usually guitars (Tacoma, Ovation VXT, was Guild Starfires, etc)... I have need for admittedly niche market of battery powered amp and Fender Mini Mustang my fave choice (not much bass, but can't have everything). And yes I do have a THR 10 and the new Vox Adio, but something about that little amp that could.... of course Fender stopped making, still make the Passport mini but just not as player friendly (had to give up on the fly adjustments for second channel). Okay, you guys continue on with your big stuff

• Members
I'm partial to Crate V series starting with their Vintage Club. Put Garnet on the "old school" list and don't forget some from Yamaha like the G100 jazz man Mike Stern favored. A Reason Bambino would be high on my deserted island list.

The Crate Vintage clubs were fantastic amps, although some were prone to overheating and self destructing. Still. I really regret not getting one when they were around.

• Members
I'm partial to Crate V series starting with their Vintage Club. Put Garnet on the "old school" list and don't forget some from Yamaha like the G100 jazz man Mike Stern favored. A Reason Bambino would be high on my deserted island list.

The Crate Vintage clubs were fantastic amps, although some were prone to overheating and self destructing. Still. I really regret not getting one when they were around.

• Members

Naylor is another long gone amp, as are Sunn.

Fender did a reissue of Sunn for a short while. They did not do well in the marketplace, but were rock solid, killer amps. They did not resurrect the Sunn vibe for the purests. So they didn't sell. These basically were high quality Fender workhorse amps. I have the T50C combo and also the 100 watt half stack. Both incredible amps! They do the traditional Fender cleans , as well as the high gain stuff very well. I only wished I had bought two more T50C for my backline.

• Members

Naylor is another long gone amp, as are Sunn.

Fender did a reissue of Sunn for a short while. They did not do well in the marketplace, but were rock solid, killer amps. They did not resurrect the Sunn vibe for the purests. So they didn't sell. These basically were high quality Fender workhorse amps. I have the T50C combo and also the 100 watt half stack. Both incredible amps! They do the traditional Fender cleans , as well as the high gain stuff very well. I only wished I had bought two more T50C for my backline.

• Members

I ended up with 3 of the V series - 2 V8's and a V33. I use the V8 all the time for chops and recording and the V33 for gigs. Second V8 is backup in case something goes wrong with the first, but so far it's rock solid.

• Members

I ended up with 3 of the V series - 2 V8's and a V33. I use the V8 all the time for chops and recording and the V33 for gigs. Second V8 is backup in case something goes wrong with the first, but so far it's rock solid.

All great amps! Some people poo poo Crate stuff and a lot of their low end stuff was worthy of that reputation, but much of the V Series were rock solid amps. They had a great product line there for a while.

• Members

All great amps! Some people poo poo Crate stuff and a lot of their low end stuff was worthy of that reputation, but much of the V Series were rock solid amps. They had a great product line there for a while.

The thing I found with Crate tube stuff was they are usually really close but fall short of winning the cigar. They have all the basics but some need tweaking. That means they are had cheap and can be turned into a great sounding amps with a bit of soldering iron dexterity. I modded the pre-amp sections of both V8 and V33 but in return get a couple of great sounding amps for not much coin.

I think the best off-the-shelf Crate's are the V15/16 - 2xEL84 pushing around 18 watts through a spring reverb in a 1x12 combo. I don't have one, but it's on the list.

• 7 months later...
  • Members
maybe some brand that i've never heard of like sovtek or hughes and kettner or something... coz i have a bugera head and cabinet. it's not that good because it's a cheap amp. i got it for 360 dollars on ebay. but since i like the sound of it' date=' i'll keep it. but maybe i will go for an expensive amp later in life. [/quote']

Red Bear and the even lesser known Novik. Both Russian made amps. Mine I got as NOS.

• Members

If you are going to keep playing a clean amp with pedals, like many people prefer to do, you should look for a solid, clean amp and not the high dollar gain monsters. If you bought a blackface Fender Bassman today and maintained it, you would still have it in 50 years, it would still be working, and would be worth more than you paid. It would sound great and be as reliable as it gets. Why are you talking about vintage Marshalls and Blackstars if you play a relatively clean amp? That does not make sense, and doesn't fit the description of your needs.

Archived