If you had to choose between two 16 ch. mixers

• Members

OK, I'm not in the market for a mixer but just thought I'd throw the question out there. Please note that the price will be secondary that quality is the first concern.

Which would you choose?

Presonus Studiolive 16

OR -

Midas Venice F 16

I realize that they are really two different types of mixer, one being digital and the other being analogue.

• Members

I'd choose the Presonus for it's quality value included with all it's features and capabilities compared to the Midas. I don't think which one sounds better matters as for the vast majority of live sound gigs we do, the "sound" of any mixer at a say Mix Wiz level and above is the least of our concerns. My one concern would be regarding it's long term reliability as I'm one of those keep things till they die type of guys and it seems like it's still to early to know how well the cheaper feature packed digital boards are going to hold up. With proper care and feeding any decent analog board will last for decades but it's still unknown how long the digital boards will last. If they are anything like most inexpensive consumer electronics you can buy now, they will be good till just a bit after their warranty expires.....

Winston

• Members

I'd choose the o1v96 :D .

Between those, I would prefer the Presonus if I were buying it for me to use and the Venice if I were buying it for a venue.

I am slowly working towards convincing one of my clients to sell his M7CL (which he does not operate) and purchase a nice analogue console w some outboard processing, as it is used by a lot of different folks with a lot of different results.

• Members

the new Venice isn't the same as the Venice I have, they've added/fixed a few things. I think they sound really nice. That being said, I wouldn't pay $3200 for a 16 channel mixer. It's really not a fair comparison at all. I'd probably prefer a ZED r16 over the Midas...or for that matter a Gl2400 and still have $1000 left. Do you need firewire? how many monitor mixes?

• Members

How does a Zed24 fit into this mix? I like the Mix Wiz line and have the monitor board that gets used a lot. But what I like about the Zed over the Mix Wiz is the four stereo channels as returns. Obviously aux as monitors is not an issue for me and as I've got all the outboard I need, built in FX aren't needed.

• Members

If you're looking to pay big $$$ for a 16 channel analog buy this:

Actually, because I am a solo act, I would like to carve out 10 of those channels and toss them and keep the rest of the features. A high quality 6 chan. mixer with really good pre's that would fit in a small padded gig bag.

• Members
Actually, because I am a solo act, I would like to carve out 10 of those channels and toss them and keep the rest of the features. A high quality 6 chan. mixer with really good pre's that would fit in a small padded gig bag.

I'm pretty happy with my Yamaha MG82CX and it fits nicely in one of the Gator mixer bags. The microphone stand adapter makes it easy to place near you onstage.

• Members

I've been using a Soundcraft EFX-8 for most of my acoustic-guitar solo/duo/trio gigs, and for running vocals at band practice, and it's a great little board. Sounds really good, and I like the FX. I also find the EQ very "musical"/ It's got an on-board power-supply, and I carry it around in a Gator G-Mix 15"x15" padded shoulder-bag.

• Members

I'm pretty happy with my Yamaha MG82CX and it fits nicely in one of the Gator mixer bags. The microphone stand adapter makes it easy to place near you onstage.

Yeah, I just took delivery of a MG124CX. I haven't had the time to run it through its paces yet so I'll see how it sounds. I sold my MixWiz 16.2 because of its size. I would be nice if someone built a small high quality mixer with 4-6 channels with the features of a much higher quality mixer with pro pre's.

Archived