Yorkville U15 bi-amp....what amps to use?

• Members

As you may know, I recently purchased some Yorkville U15's. I will be running them with the UP15 processor and I am strongly considering bi-amping them as well.

I will be using a PL236 for the Low/Mids and was looking for an amp for the highs. The GX3 looks like the clear winner to me....what do you guys think?

• Members

No, the UP15 does not have that feature. I just found some interesting info though....

The U15 and U215 require passive crossovers between the HF and MF drivers even when operating in the bi-amp mode. Since this crossover network and the associated attenuator circuitry remain in place in the bi-amp mode, the required amplifier for the horn will be larger than expected. The AP2020 in 4-ohm mode (400 watts into 8-ohms) will give a proper flat response and sufficient power to match with the woofers. The AP4040 (750 watts into 8-ohms) may be more appropriate for applications requiring strong mid/high output. This will put the network and drivers at their maximum power handling. If the AP4040 is used the correct level control setting would be 6 clicks back from full gain. The woofer

• Members

Sound to me like they're saying you can use a 750w amp on the horn section....if you dial back 6 clicks...that will be the max power they can handle.

Maybe Mike will chime in here. I think he was running 600w to the highs.

• Members

As you may know, I recently purchased some Yorkville U15's. I will be running them with the UP15 processor and I am strongly considering bi-amping them as well.

I will be using a PL236 for the Low/Mids and was looking for an amp for the highs. The GX3 looks like the clear winner to me....what do you guys think?

As you've discovered, there is always a passive crossover in place regarding the three mid speakers and horn/high driver. You might have also figured out that Yorkville's suggested power levels are at the outer limits of the speaker components ratings. I've had success running my U15's with 600 watts aside. And although I've used 800 a side (with a Yorkville A4 IIRC) I would probably recommend 600 tops. Although.... maybe the processor helps limit signal, I haven't looked at at it in a while.

Remember that when it comes to speakers, Yorkville rates them using program watts. When it comes to power amps Yorkville essentially rates their amps in RMS (or close enough to it). So the U15 is 400 watts, or 800 watts program. And what's really confusing is that sometimes Yorkville rates their powered speakers in program watts!!! Never boring those folks :) Notice that the U15P is 900 watts prgram not RMS (well at least that's what they state). http://www.yorkville.com/products.asp?id=346&cat=38&type=29

Anyway, I've found that I just wound up running the cabs full range, because the area I really wanted control over (mid/high) couldn't be controlled. But YMMV.

See if it makes a difference to you - if running bi-amp is to your liking, then that's great.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

As you've discovered, there is always a passive crossover in place regarding the three mid speakers and horn/high driver. You might have also figured out that Yorkville's suggested power levels are at the outer limits of the speaker components ratings. I've had success running my U15's with 600 watts aside. And although I've used 800 a side (with a Yorkville A4 IIRC) I would probably recommend 600 tops. Although.... maybe the processor helps limit signal, I haven't looked at at it in a while.

Remember that when it comes to speakers, Yorkville rates them using program watts. When it comes to power amps Yorkville essentially rates their amps in RMS (or close enough to it). So the U15 is 400 watts, or 800 watts program. And what's really confusing is that sometimes Yorkville rates their powered speakers in program watts!!! Never boring those folks
:)
Notice that the U15P is 900 watts prgram not RMS (well at least that's what they state).
http://www.yorkville.com/products.asp?id=346&cat=38&type=29

Anyway, I've found that I just wound up running the cabs full range, because the area I really wanted control over (mid/high) couldn't be controlled. But YMMV.

See if it makes a difference to you - if running bi-amp is to your liking, then that's great.

So the RMX2450 running 650w @ 4ohms will work well for my U15's???

• Members

The U15 (passive) is a different beast. The biamping occurs between the 15 and the mid/high section, and there is a fixed pad network (also some passive eq, HF lift etc.) there so when you drive the HF section, it expects to see the same amp output voltage relative to the low frequency section.

So, you will need to use a larger amp than you would expect for the voltage matching even though the amp is NOT delivering that much real power due to the action of the passive x-over and pad network.

IME, the LF section is best driven by no more than 600 watts RMS (I would recommend around 4-500 watts) and the HF section about 400 watts (the amp rating, it can't actually deliver that much power.

It should be noted that the powered versions are triamped and all the eq and x-over is in DSP. A totally different animal.

• Members

The U15 (passive) is a different beast. The biamping occurs between the 15 and the mid/high section, and there is a fixed pad network (also some passive eq, HF lift etc.) there so when you drive the HF section, it expects to see the same amp output voltage relative to the low frequency section.

So, you will need to use a larger amp than you would expect for the voltage matching even though the amp is NOT delivering that much real power due to the action of the passive x-over and pad network.

IME, the LF section is best driven by no more than 600 watts RMS (I would recommend around 4-500 watts) and the HF section about 400 watts (the amp rating, it can't actually deliver that much power.

It should be noted that the powered versions are triamped and all the eq and x-over is in DSP. A totally different animal.

Myself, I'm not going to bi-amp them, wondering if the RMX2450 to run the works is a good match.

• Members

Myself, I'm not going to bi-amp them, wondering if the RMX2450 to run the works is a good match.

I've been usng an old AP1200 for my tops and it works for me. If the RMX2450 performs similarly then you should be okay, but YMMV.

I do know that I was using a "budget" crown amp that was rated at 800 watts a side and was happier with the AP1200's 600 watts a side so sometimes specs have to be combined with real world performance.

• Members

I used a RMX2450 on the U15s when we got our two. Worked fine, sufficient power. Later got a PLX3002 and used that, and currently swapped that out with a PLX1804 for the same power and MUCH lighter weight. That's 900 watts available at 4 ohms, just over the Yorkville program power recommendation of 800 watts. The weight loss is worth it. Run them full range, amps in simple stereo mode. Thought seriously about bi-amping the U15s but eventually decided the extra cost/amp weight/wiring hassle wasn't worth it to me. I use a DRPA with my band but the band member who actually ownss the U15s (not me) has the Yorkville UP15 controller he uses with a side band.

Boomerweps

Archived