Why open-back tuners?

Delmont

• Members

Interesting, I can look at those two pictures and know immediately that the top one is a Taylor (a good example of what I call a modern guitar) an the lower one is a Martin (traditional all over the place). I don't care for the engraved buttons on the Martin but its probably one of the really upper models with lots of bling.

Bonus points for anyone who can explain the wedge shaped object in the middle of the neck - what is its name and where did it come from?

• Members
Some people swap out their closed-back tuners for open-back.

Is it just for looks, or are there advantages?

Thanks!

Shoulder shrug. Wild guess - some like the look of the worm and worm wheel. It adds an element of steam-punk clockworks to the aesthetic. But, they'll get dust in the lubrication over time and cause binding that closed tuners won't, which is why they're closed. I prefer the closed for that reason. I always never (heard that today) clean the dust from a guitar so open tuners are impractical machines for me.

• Members

Here's my opinion: weight. IMO the 510s would likely lend themselves to a more robustly built instruments whereas the open back tuners would go on a lighter instrument.

I bought a set of mid sized Gotoh 510s and while I like the "organic" look and think they're a damn sight better than the Pings that came on both my Larrivee and low end Martin when I put them on the bare neck of my first build I realized that they are frigging HEAVY. That being said, I ended up putting them on my Larrivee and that guitar is well-aged and well-worn and took to the new tuners quite nicely. I also bought a set of open back Sta Tites that OTOH weighed significantly less but they require a bushing to install on holes meant for sealed tuning machines so I can't give a direct comparison. I'm tempted to put them on my Martin (which being mahogany is actually much lighter than my smaller rosewood Larrivee) if I don't end up building a "traditional" Martin 00.

• Members

Personal I can't picture closed tuners on a mandolin.

[/img]

Personally I can't picture closed tuners on a classical

[ATTACH=CONFIG]n32104044[/ATTACH]

or any slothead for that matter

[ATTACH=CONFIG]n32104045[/ATTACH]

altho there is a trick to restringing them

[ATTACH=CONFIG]n32104046[/ATTACH]

• Members

Personally I can't picture closed tuners on a classical

[ATTACH=CONFIG]n32104044[/ATTACH]

or any slothead for that matter

[ATTACH=CONFIG]n32104045[/ATTACH]