K.I.S.S. + good Gear + smart deployment = great sound.

• Members

So, just got back from 3 days in Disney World (Orlando) for an IT security conference called INFOSEC. Leave it to me to notice the sound stuff as much as the IT stuff.

So, lots of conference rooms with the usual Mackie mini-mixer and EONs on sticks and the presenter with a lapel mic (usually Sennheiser). Nothing exciting.

Well, the main room (2k-3k or so) was surprising to me. I only saw four visible speakers on stands and they were rather small. The sound booth in the back corner was a 16ch Mackie Board and 4 Sennheiser wireless receivers. However, the system sounded amazing and crystal clear. Hmm, what was the magic?

The magic was that the humble mixer and wireless mics were driving a Meyer system that was rather cleverly deployed. There were actually six Meyer UPA-1Ps, four on poles and two on the floor. Front edge of the stage had 2 or 3 UMP-1Ps.

Chatted with the sound guy and told him I was impressed with his work. He told me his group was pretty much going all Meyer, including a new Milo system he was itching to drive. He also told me they were moving to A&H boards on his team, but was not sure which model.

So, in this case, the magic was simple 1) KISS principle, 2) Great gear, and 3) smart deployment. Of course, having enough budget to use gobs of Meyer gear must be nice.

• Moderators

There is a good reason why folks do buy good gear. Because it's better
;)

I preach this over and over to friends who need advice, and sometimes they listen.

It's a buyer's market for used pro PA gear, always has been.

For the same price as new MI junk, you can get really nice used stuff. 2 weeks ago a guy had a pair of QSC K10's, w/bags for $1K on Craigslist, like new. They were there for over a week - I couldn't believe it.

I just picked up another pair of JBL SRX-712Ms, like new w/3 gigs on them, for less than half the new price.

I was pretty happy w/my wedges, but I know now that these are going to always sound great, be easy to transport and never break. I'll never need to replace them. And if I want to get rid of them, I can get all my $ out of them, with no problem...

MG

• Members

I've been keeping my eyes open for upgrades on my system especially main board and monitors. While not in the budget for $8k powered cabs, I hope to upgrade my PR12Ds to some MRX series cabs and a new lightweight power amp. I've been slowly picking up more mics and DIs on CL and eBay as I spot the good deals.

As to my main topic, in this case, *quality* gear, deployed sensibly, without a lot bells and whistles (the sound guy at Disney had zero signal processing aside from what was built into the Mackie board!), can sound really really good.

• Members

;)

good gear is gooder. But nice MI grade stuff in the right hands can sound sweet too. MRX, QSC, EV, JBL Yamaha.

I too slowly upgrade my various rigs by buying used. two pieces for one better or even 3. i also don'y mind 6-10 yr old pro gear whatsoever. My Sr4700x rig continues on, making me money, doing a fine job

• Members

;)

As simple as this statement is, it should be tattoed in every musicians forehead! I love when I see thousands of $$$ in guitar, bass, keyboards, etc on stage and they play through a Behringer powered mixer with speakers on a sticks...

Rod

Archived