darnit i am in one of those inbetween moments where everything is a headache

• Members

new season coming up and i have a few unfinished projects i need to get busy on, wheels, cases, etc. one issue thats getting on me is branch power distribution (small scale, rack to rack type stuff).

i was fine with everything until i made some various changes (like going three way) and my band got back together and complicated things. i'm finding i can get power from my distro to the racks just fine, but the racks are all out of outlets for feeding additional racks; example: my FOH amp rack feeds FOH racks/mixer electrically whether i am doing foh on stage or out in the audience - i just use a 100' extension or plug the foh racks directly into the amp rack on stage. i have 2 8 space foh racks, one plugs into the amp rack, the other plugs into the first. the mixer has a tail that lives in the top foh rack. lately i am having to use a computer at foh and i also added a led strip for my mixer; i have had trouble plugging in the computer and i certainly have no hole for the led strip (yet). i really would like to have additional outlets in the actual mixer box but this adds other issues as well. i'm not sure what i am going to do yet but whatever it is i cant have it be a kludge.

i'm also having issues with speaker cables. i have enough cables but am waiting on speakon ends, these things are $9 locally :facepalm:

i'm not trying to whine - i've just been at this retooling stage since december and i still have some problems left unsolved and its starting to weigh on me a little. growing pains if you will.

the real crux of all this is that i need to make this all simple enough for non tech people to "help", which is near impossible.

• Members

I left my band and need to organize my {censored} bigtime! June 11th is my deadline to have all my gear streamlined. I have patch panels I need to solder... Racks still to buy for amps.. And cables to organize.

Hoping to be buying a trailer within a couple weeks and that can help me get some motivation...lol

• Members

my p touch supposedly prints to really big tape, like a full 1" letters i think but ive never gone anywhere near that large.

my helpers cause me to waste time, everytime. i can get my rig up in 40 minutes by myself, or 75 if i have help. there is only so many times i can explain why you place excess speaker cable behind the speaker rather than in a pile by the amp rack before i would rather just do it myself and tell "help" to sit down.

another big problem is containers that come and go - i cant have 'help' put a drive whip in a container that doesnt go to every show - it needs to go in the drive whip container everytime. 'help' doesnt know what a drive whip is and may think "big black cable goes in container with other big black cables' but maybe that power tub isnt going to the next event with the rest of the stuff.

just recently i had a guy ask me which side of a rack was the front. i calmy looked at him and said its the side that has the word "FRONT" routered into it in 2" letters.

it was this box

2777994960026985969S600x600Q85.jpg

and just in case you are wondering, the other side says rear. yes there is a reason i routed it in there.

i have neglected placement codes, like FOH, SL, SR etc. there is just no reason

• Members

Ugh nothing pisses me off more then when stuff isn't where it is supposed to be... I bought 25' IEC power cords. 2 for each of my sets of lights and one for each powered speaker. Friggin drives me up the wall when I grab a set of lights and the power cord isn't in the case where its supposed to be!! Or the DJ laptop case doesn have the 1/8" to dual 1/4" cable. THAT'S THE ONLY SPOT WE USE IT IN! I'm suprised they don't stick the laptop power cord or mouse in with speaker cables!

I just love reorganizing everything every 2-3 weeks.

Archived