What's New at AES 2017 in New York?

Phil O'Keefe

• CMS Author

I spent nearly all of Wednesday (the first day of the show) listening to papers and panels and didn't really look around but for about half an aisle. Dave Hill (Crane Song) has a new version of his HEDD A/D/A converter with variable color. The new model has a new even lower jitter clock for more transparent performance. Dave is a real jitter freak and is always striving for less. Hutch, who made his fame and fortune as chief designer at Manley Labs has been doing free-lance work for the past few years. He was at the Pete's Place booth showing off his new mastering-style equalizer. It's a digitally controlled hardware unit that does all the usual stuff but adds a lot of flexibility in filter passband curve shapes and a few preset colorations. The front panel digital controls are enhanced with a GUI which can run on a computer as a stand-alone application, but it can also run as a DAW plug-in, allowing you to insert the equalizer into a track via a D/A-A/D loop and control it directly from the DAW.

Does anyone have any experience with this monitor? I'm very curious about it! Black or white.

Cheers,

Mats N

I've only ever seen and heard them at trade shows, and it's pretty much next to impossible to make a fair assessment of something like that at NAMM or AES - it's usually too loud, although AES tends to be much better in that regard than NAMM usually is.

They're cool looking and IIRC, Neumann makes their monitors in Ireland... but I honestly can't tell you if they're great or not. From what I heard, I don't think they suck or anything...

I wish I could tell you more my friend, but that's about all I can say without hearing them in a better environment. :idk:

Thanks Phil. Do you know if older DAWs will be broken if they're not updated to work with the new software?

In any event thanks for the report - what I'm hearing from people is that it's an active but small show.

I'm not positive Craig, but I'd definitely look into it before upgrading if anyone's unsure... the latest version of EUCON is 3.7, and a quick search of Google showed at least one thread over on the DUC ( http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=394518 ) where someone with a current contract / license is having compatibility issues with it on his Mac.

As far as the show, I haven't really talked to anyone who went yet - I probably will this week though. Looks like there was some cool stuff released. I was hoping they'd be back on the best coast next year, but it looks like they're going to hold the 2018 AES Convention in NYC again. Makes it harder for me to get out to check it out. :(

Archived